• Webs: i feel you!
    Today at 02:38:49 AM
  • Quiet: I'm still not okay lol
    Today at 01:10:06 AM
  • Puffin: Right?! It was a wild ride!
    December 06, 2019, 11:16:31 AM
  • Webs: yessss
    December 05, 2019, 09:05:01 PM
  • Quiet: This new chapter y'alllllllllll!!!!!!
    December 05, 2019, 05:31:10 PM
  • Javier Renée: Very nice! Reminds me of Rue, from the Hunger Games haha
    December 04, 2019, 02:36:12 AM
  • Mercedes Carello: I love the name Ruth for some reason!
    December 02, 2019, 04:38:42 PM
  • Puffin: Ruuuuuth! <3 <3
    December 02, 2019, 12:05:12 PM
  • Webs: thanks! inspired by Jonah ^^
    December 02, 2019, 01:34:04 AM
  • Quiet: Cool idea about the families Webs!
    December 02, 2019, 01:18:44 AM
  • Webs: yessss
    December 02, 2019, 12:40:52 AM
  • Quiet: Ruth meet Eld. Eld...this is Ruth.  <3 <3 <3
    December 02, 2019, 12:32:34 AM
  • Quiet: Cheers mate!
    December 02, 2019, 12:03:37 AM
  • Puffin: Nothing in particular, I leave her in your capable hands! I look forward to seeing what you do with her, and to all the plotting of course. :D <3
    December 02, 2019, 12:00:31 AM
  • Quiet: I'll take her. I already have a semi-okay backstory that would work. Please let me know if there is anything you need/want in her bio.
    December 01, 2019, 11:50:42 PM
  • Puffin: That would actually be amazing, Quiet!! <3
    December 01, 2019, 11:44:35 PM
  • Rosebelle Renée: Do it!
    December 01, 2019, 11:23:17 PM
  • Quiet: Should I take Eld's fiance? I think I should take Eld's fiance.
    December 01, 2019, 10:30:57 PM
  • HiddenBaroness: Keep safe if y'all are!
    December 01, 2019, 03:51:26 PM

* Directories

RPG-DRPG Initiative

Author Topic: [EVENT] Give up, Give in, or Give it Your All  (Read 172 times)

Give up, Give in, or Give it Your All
« on: November 02, 2019, 10:00:22 PM »
Anxiety ate at her. It set her heart to racing, her fingers trembling as she tacked up her steed. The horse - whose name Struna did not bother to note - peered at her with wide, brown eyes. That shade could only bring bad luck. "You're a curse," the cadet growled, her voice wavering as she tightened the girth. Every attempt she then made to mount the horse was met with it taking a couple of bold steps forward, enough to cause her to falter. A low hiss escaped from between Struna's teeth, a sound that blended frustration with low-burning fear. "Just… just fuckin' stand still, wouldja?" Struna grumbled, giving the reins a sharp yank of rebuke. That seemed to do the trick, for the beast finally stayed in place long enough that she was able to pull herself up into the saddle.

Irritated that her usual efforts to be excused and sent to the infirmary had failed - she felt sick, genuinely - Struna adjusted and tested her stirrups, standing up to check that her position was balanced. Distantly, she was aware of the thunder of hooves, more confident cadets warming up their horses and themselves, while the occasional blast of a whistle indicated that yet another pair were headed out onto the course. A staggered start would prevent congestion at the obstacles, or so it was hoped.

Settling into her seat, desperately uncomfortable despite making all the necessary adjustments, Struna tightened her reins to keep her steed in place. Finally paying attention to her surroundings, her gaze snagged on Darcy. A sensitive, clever cadet who surely deserved a better partner for this event. "You drew the short straw, then?" Struna asked the girl unhappily, though she already knew the answer. "Sorry about that."

Re: Give up, Give in, or Give it Your All
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 10:16:59 PM »
Darcy had always been good with animals, even if she didn’t see very many while living in the city. She only met the occasional stray cat or dog, and sometimes the horses of parked wagons or carriages. Despite her rare encounters with them, animals seemed to love her, and this made learning to ride a horse a breeze. The first time she ever touched a horse was at the training camp, but she was a quick learner. Her skills weren’t extraordinary, but she was confident that she’d be able to complete the course without being last.

At least, that was until she was informed that the horsemanship aptitude test would be done in pairs. There were two things wrong with that. One being that Darcy hadn’t made very many friends during her time in training. Sure, she’d talked to her comrades and spent a bit of time with them, but not enough to be super comfortable around them. The second problem, was that Darcy’s partner, Struna, had an obvious problem with horses.

Darcy had already mounted her horse and was ready to get going while her partner struggled. She wanted to reach out and try to help, but thought against it as Struna began to speak. The words were enough to make Darcy feel bad, so she shook her head. ”We’ll do okay. Just relax.. We’ll take it slow.” She furrowed her eyebrows in concern though, as she was unsure if they’d be able to. It was a race, and also an obstacle course. Darcy just hoped they’d be able to keep the horses under control. “We’re almost up.. you ready?”

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 11:35:29 AM »
Darcy was sitting pretty on her steed, the beast beneath her quiet and attentive, seemingly awaiting instruction from their rider. Struna longed to have been gifted with the same inherent ability to handle and understand horses, unlucky animals though they were.

We'll do okay. Just relax… We'll take it slow.

Struna couldn't say she knew her partner well, but those words of encouragement were kind and gently spoken. The weight of her guilt grew. She almost wished she had been paired with a cadet who took their training so seriously as to roar at her for her failings. She wouldn't mind costing someone impatient a few points. It was a shame she was instead a deadweight to someone nice.

"You're probably better ridin' ahead," Struna muttered, her focus on her horse as the creature sidestepped and swished its tail in agitation. "I know the timer won't stop 'til I cross the line, but you can at least show 'em what you're capable of." Or would Darcy be marked down for poor sportsmanship? They were probably supposed to stick together, right?

We're almost up… you ready?

Struna's answer came as a nervous groan and a nod of her head. "I hate this… I fuckin' hate this…" she grumbled to herself as she urged the beast forward, steering it towards the starting point. The pair in front of them went, charging across the grassy, uneven ground. Approaching the line, eating into the empty space the other team left behind, Struna nudged her horse's side tentatively with a heel, straightening its position.

The silence stretched as she waited for their signal, lasting for what felt like an age. She thought about patting her steed's neck, perhaps establishing some meagre rapport - too little, too late, no doubt - but she was too nervous to relinquish her grasp of the reins. Instead, she cast an apologetic look Darcy's way, focusing on the familiar weight of the lucky silver piece against the skin of her chest. When the whistle blasted a moment later, shrill and piercing, Struna flinched, and reluctantly gave her horse a kick.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 02:34:59 PM »
”I’m not going to ride ahead and leave you. We’ll stay together and I’ll help you.” Darcy replied sweetly, giving Struna a genuine, but still nervous, smile. She sat tall up on her horse, and made her way to the starting line with her partner. She wasn’t nervous for herself, but for the girl she barely knew on the horse beside her. If Struna tried a jump and failed, she’d likely hurt herself. That wouldn’t be good for either of them.

The moment the whistle blew, Darcy kicked her horse harshly. She kept her pace with Struna’s horse, determined not to let her partner fall far behind. ”Struna,” Darcy called out, keeping her eyes straight ahead, ”Try and keep calm. Horses can tell when you’re nervous, and they go off the signs you’re giving them. Stay close and if you need my help, call out for me.” Her voice was still as sweet as it was before, though her words seemed more like orders than a suggestion.

Despite her usual shy behavior, Darcy could tell that Struna needed more than a polite push to get through this test. It was already going to be difficult, with so many teams on the course at once, but having a partner who couldn’t control her horse was going to make it harder. They’d have to work together to get through it. The first obstacle wasn’t too far ahead of them, and she could just barely see the team ahead of them clear the jumps before speeding off.

”We got it. We’ll be okay.”
Darcy told herself quietly, biting her lip in slight nervousness. If they could at least clear the first obstacle, there would be at least a bit of hope that they could make it through. « Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 02:35:21 PM by Darcy-Jo Windsor »

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 12:32:34 PM »
I'm not going to ride ahead and leave you. We'll stay together and I'll help you.

That was kind, Struna had to admit, as was the way Darcy held her horse back, ensuring they remained level. Frowning with concentration, the cadet listened to her partner's instructions, spoken over the thunder of hooves beneath them.. Darcy's tone was simultaneously sweet and firm, and Struna found she appreciated that. It was easier to pay attention to a voice that spoke with some authority.

"Right," she answered. Keeping calm was difficult when horses were so damn unpredictable. She trusted herself and her own body - hell, she knew she was technically capable of the art of riding - but the knowledge that at any moment the horse could stumble and fall beneath her, or spook and throw her off, was alarming. If she was going to break her neck, Struna wanted it to be on her own terms. But she would stick close to her partner, and she would ask for help - that was within her power.

Her horse was fresh and eager, and Struna had to clutch the reins tightly to keep it from barrelling into a gallop. She rode standing in the stirrups, her legs easily strong enough to hold this position. While not technically correct, it gave her a sense of control that went some small way towards easing her anxiety. As far as she was concerned, it was preferable and far simpler than the whole sit-and-roll-your-hips malarkey.

We got it. We'll be okay.

Dear, positive Darcy. Struna mightn't know her well, but she had the sense that - after this ordeal - she could only think of the girl fondly. Ahead of them loomed the first jump, a simple hedge, that came far too soon. Guiding her horse towards it head-on, Struna leaned forward and stabilised her hands on the beast's neck as they leapt to clear the obstacle, the accompanying lurch more familiar than she would have liked. She remembered to lean back on the descent, her backside striking the saddle in the landing. A brief wobble - only then did the cadet realise she had been holding her breath - and she recovered.

First jump down… how many more to go?

"You need t' lead," Struna called to her companion, sounding apologetic. She dared not look Darcy's way, refusing to take her gaze off the ground ahead - framed by her horse's ears - which continued to roll past with dizzying speed. "It's takin' near all my focus just t' stay aboard." Truthfully, she felt bad foisting the responsibility of navigation onto her partner, but Darcy seemed capable and confident enough to manage. "Where - Where next?"

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Kaien Engelbrecht: Reply for Shay! [link]
    December 05, 2019, 07:38:34 PM
  • Marco Bott: Reply for Jean! [link]
    December 05, 2019, 02:34:49 PM
  • Jarek Valdeze: Reply for Quirin! [link]
    December 05, 2019, 12:26:02 PM
  • Marco Bott: Reply for Jean! [link]
    December 04, 2019, 11:11:35 PM
  • Javier Renée: Javier jumping in on the ODM Aptitude Test with Mara, Struna, Mercedes, and Elenor! [link]
    December 04, 2019, 01:54:38 AM
  • Webs: Claude for Battlefield Medics 2 (Bertholdt, Darcy, Eelja, Mina, Mercedes) [link]
    December 03, 2019, 09:49:51 PM
  • Marco Bott: Reply in the Winter Aptitude Test for Jean, Eren and Javier! [link]
    December 03, 2019, 06:35:39 PM
  • Marco Bott: Reply for Kaien! [link]
    December 02, 2019, 11:56:59 PM
  • Jarek Valdeze: Reply for Kaien! [link]
    December 02, 2019, 12:29:29 PM
  • Javier Renée: Javier is joining up with Eren, Marco, and Jean for the Winter Aptitude Test! [link]
    December 02, 2019, 02:08:41 AM

* Credits

Site banner, advert image and affiliate button created by Moon Child

Reluctant Heroes is in no way affiliated with Shingeki no Kyojin, Attack on Titan or Funimation and we give full credit to Hajime Isayama. Copyrights and trademarks for the manga and anime are held by their respective owners while all original content remains the property of the individual writers and artists.

We are grateful to former staff member Artsy for her creative input.