* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 45
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Wanted

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Lou: It is treating me well enough. I can't complain with the lovely WA weather
    June 30, 2020, 05:01:04 AM
  • Quiet: Howdy y'all. Hope summer is treating everyone as kindly as it can. :-)
    June 29, 2020, 03:17:05 PM
  • Nanaba: One post down wooo
    June 26, 2020, 10:37:42 PM
  • Nanaba: <3
    June 26, 2020, 10:37:35 PM
  • Puffin: Great job, Lou!!  Always love a Nanaba post. <3
    June 25, 2020, 10:01:00 AM
  • Nanaba: I will put it first on my list
    June 20, 2020, 08:27:15 PM
  • Nanaba: working on Utopia posts. If anyone has a Nanaba request, please let me know
    June 20, 2020, 08:26:52 PM
  • Nanaba: *falls in*
    June 20, 2020, 08:24:07 PM
  • Puffin: Phew, I'm glad you were able to get it back, Sora! :)
    June 18, 2020, 07:15:12 PM
  • Sora: lucky me :D
    June 18, 2020, 01:22:54 PM
  • Sora: Managed to recover it
    June 18, 2020, 01:22:50 PM
  • Sora: Damn...I can't believe this. I just lost my whole post for Mina *sniff*
    June 18, 2020, 01:19:29 PM
  • fleetingthoughts: Aaah thank you so much for your compliments :D I'm so glad you enjoyed her haha! That's perfect! I'll certainly be joining as soon as possible!
    June 16, 2020, 12:42:45 PM
  • Puffin: Hi there fleetingthoughts! I've been meaning to drop you a message, I really enjoyed Paula's app and her artwork is beautiful. :) I definitely recommend joining the Discord server, if it's something that appeals to you. There are quite a few plotting channels, etc. there that can help with getting some threads started.
    June 16, 2020, 12:03:42 PM
  • fleetingthoughts: Hello! I hope I'm not being too nosy if I ask this, but do you guys usually discuss more on your discord server? Because I am willing to get more involved into this website and I don't really know how to (except for commenting on plotters lol), so I thought I could join your discord server as well if that's alright with you all :)
    June 16, 2020, 11:23:04 AM
  • Puffin: Breakfast and coffee is always a great place to start! :) I'm not too bad thanks, having some trouble with work but I'm muddling through. How have things been with you?
    June 13, 2020, 08:33:34 PM
  • Nanaba: How are you?
    June 13, 2020, 06:12:55 PM
  • Nanaba: It is going.  took me awhile to get going, but now that I had breakfast and coffee, I am ready to tackle rp things
    June 13, 2020, 06:12:50 PM
  • Puffin: Hey Lou! How's it going? :D
    June 13, 2020, 05:16:55 PM
  • Nanaba: hey hey everyone
    June 13, 2020, 04:31:38 PM

* Directories

RPG-DRPG Initiative

Author Topic: [EVENT] Team Eight: Battlefield Medics 2 [Assault on Utopia]  (Read 1119 times)

Team Eight: Battlefield Medics 2 [Assault on Utopia]
« on: November 17, 2019, 04:40:33 PM »
Characters involved (this is not a posting order):

• Bertholdt Hoover - 4/4 pairs of blades remaining; 88% gas remaining
  • Claude Larsen - 4/4 pairs of blades remaining; 91% gas remaining
  • Eelja Fythan - 4/4 pairs of blades remaining; 88% gas remaining
  • Mercedes Carello - 4/4 pairs of blades remaining; 89% gas remaining

As the cadets, instructors and other military personnel mobilise, it immediately becomes apparent that the inner gate of Utopia District - the very one that will allow the civilians to evacuate swiftly and safely - has also been tampered with.  It is locked closed and Garrison members are currently working to restore the mechanism.

Charged with the task of providing first aid to all other teams, this squad will move throughout Utopia - the direction and speed of their travel to be decided amongst themselves - with the intention of tending to injured soldiers and even civilians.  Each squad member is carrying medical supplies in a backpack, which adds a little to their weight and restricts their manoeuvrability to some degree.

Failure to meet their objective will compromise the efforts of all other teams (and may lead to fatalities) and could potentially result in the loss of Utopia, as well as a catastrophic number of civilian casualties.

As this is a site-wide plot, the NPC account may occasionally feature in the thread, acting as a checkpoint and controlling non-player characters.

In order to keep the storylines moving forward, the posting orders do not need to be maintained, and participants are instead invited to post whenever time and muse permits. « Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 10:38:57 PM by Puffin »

Re: Team Eight: Battlefield Medics 2 [Assault on Utopia]
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 10:01:32 PM »
Mina’s hands shook as she was handed the backpack - filled with medical supplies that she was to use to aid the injured. Her legs were locked to keep the rest of her body from trembling as she listened to the officer - a tall woman with kind eyes who already looked exhausted - describe what had happened and what was expected of the cadets gathered together.

It was a blur of information, Utopia had fallen...the gates were not functioning...civilians and soldiers alike would need medical attention and assistance getting to safety. Mina and the other cadets were being tasked to supply medical aid to those who needed it. Never in her life had Mina been given such an important task and she prayed to whoever was listening that she would be able to be of help to at least a few people. Honestly - Mina felt like she was going to throw up and had to blink back tears. She looked around at the others and wondered what they were thinking.

The pack felt heavy as Mina shifted it to her back. Heavier than it probably actually was. Her mind ran wild with what types of injuries they would encounter and another wave of nausea washed over her. She bit the inside of her cheek to give herself something to focus on for a moment and then forced herself to speak, "You can count on us ma'am!" Mina hoped she sounded confident. She was not. Not at all.

"We can do this," Mina said as the group headed out, running because there was no time to waste. "We don't have a choice," she added under her breath. By the Walls...what awaited them?

“Kindness begins with the understanding that we all struggle.”

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 04:26:01 PM »
Mercedes felt buoyed up by the importance of the task at hand -- her back straightened, her muscles tensed in readiness, her mind began to rush. As the officer moved away to the haphazardly-arranged treatment zone where the injured were already trickling in, Mercedes assessed the immediate goal. There'd be little information about the movements of the other teams -- especially Team Five, the other battlefield medics -- but she'd worked with less information before. The composition of her own team would be the most vital factor. A strategy began to fall into place in her mind's eye.

Mercedes hefted the pack she'd been given and decided to wear it backwards, with the main weight on her chest, for better balance. She turned south and spotted Mina already ahead, not so much taking the lead but simply being the first to swallow the fear and go.

Good, we have Mina. I can count on Mina. Mercedes saw Claude next and felt a twinge of anxiety, but smiled at her. She then looked at the others: Eelja, Bertholdt, Darcy. The strategy began to refine.

Mercedes started to jog after Mina, and could see not far from base camp was the mouth of the street and a crossroads. The ground shook from distant Titan travel and crumbling buildings. She could hear screaming and directives mingling with the dust.

She raised her voice, "Do we have a plan? I think we should stay on the ground wherever possible -- we'll miss more people in the air and we need to conserve gas. I'll try to do the bulk of the killing if we absolutely have to." « Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 07:08:56 PM by Mercedes Carello »

“I’m surrounded by the past and it is demanding something from me.”
~ Anna Akhmatova

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 02:45:49 AM »
 Bertholdt was having trouble keeping his composure as the commanding officer gave out the instructions to his team. How... how was the wall open? Bertholdt definitely didn’t open it, and he would’ve known if one of his secret companions had. Maybe... maybe one of the others... no Bertholdt would know, they’d have told him, right? Unless there was someone else they didn’t know of who would do this.

He fumbled with his medical pack, mind racing, and struggled to pull it over his shoulder. Mercedes and Mina both spoke, with the former announcing a specific plan for what to do. "Good idea, if we run out of gas it’s over. Conservation is key." he agreed with Mercedes, fastening the straps on his backpack. Looking around, he took note of his fellow team members, notably Mina, who had joined him in the winter Aptitude test earlier in their time as cadets.

Besides them, who else was he meant to team with? Darcy, Claude, and Eelja. He didn’t know much of those three, and didn’t want to become attached to them as friends, but they all seemed like reliable hands when it came to their mission.

{I need to investigate the wall too, see if I can’t get to the bottom of this before anyone else does.} He thought, staring down to his boots now. Bertholdt might have been tasked with providing medical assistance to those in need throughout Utopia, but there was something much bigger going on here, and someone needed to find it out, Bertholdt just hoped he’d discover the truth first.

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 03:03:16 PM »
Darcy was trying to wrap her mind around what was happening as she and the rest of her group headed out. Their objective was to travel around the titan infested Utopia district and provide medical care to other squads around the city. Both gates had somehow been disabled, meaning titans were still coming in, and citizens were not evacuating.

She listened as Mina, Mercedes and Bartholdi spoke, and promptly agreed with their plan. ”We need to try and stay together if possible, at least in pairs if we have to split up.” Darcy added, not liking the idea of having to leave any of their group behind. If they lost each other, it’d be hard to relocate them in the chaos and titans.

She hadn’t worked with any of the members of her group before, and only knew each by there names: Mina, Mercedes, Bertholdt, Claude, and Eelja. Darcy felt strange being around people she barely knew, but tried her best to keep her focus on their job.

There were likely injured scattered all throughout Utopia, and they had limited medical supplies and no real way to transport anyone safely. They also had to worry about the titans that seemed to be everywhere. ”Where should we start?” She asked, glancing around as she continued running with them.

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 09:39:26 PM »
She didn't know what to think, or what to look at. Strapping the backpack securely, Claude stared at the ground in abject horror. Never had she imagined this to happen anywhere again. Their training had made her confident that they could take on plenty - if teenagers could learn how to fight, if they could do so well, why should the titans still be a threat? But here they were. And with such little information to go on, they didn't know what they were going into. What if it was those abnormals from Shiganshina, the ones rumours whispered about but hadn't been seen again?

"We'll... we'll be slow," she said, almost too soft to hear. "Will that be okay?" Maybe they'd be fortunate. Perhaps the military knew what they were doing better now, and hardly anyone would get any injuries at all. First they had to get over the Wall and find where to start though. Everything her squadmates said made sense, but she still feared so much. If they failed, would that hurt the other teams? She thought she'd heard the soldier say that, but everything seemed so muddled now.

Instead, she stuck by them, a little slower than the others, though not because she was usually slow. She could sprint well enough, but the load of medical supplies was a little much for her smaller frame. Swallowing some of her fears, she took a breath and looked towards each of them, until her eyes rested ahead of them. They could do this. They had to. "They'll already be fighting them back, won't they?" she finally called in answer to Darcy. "Maybe we should get close to..." The thought trailed off quickly. No. They didn't want to go right to the front. At least, she didn't. But maybe they didn't have a choice.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 04:11:31 AM »
All he could think of was his brother. Eelja was miserably putting on his medical pack, and he couldn’t even do that in peace. He knew that his little brother, Xavier, was out there somewhere. He shouldn’t be worrying about him, after all, Xavier outperformed Eelja on a regular basis anyways, but he just couldn’t help it. The titans had entered the city, and Utopia was under siege. No, humanity was.

He finally secured the medical equipment to his back and faced the others, listening to them all speak, putting their two cents in on the situation. Finally Eelja couldn’t take simply listening anymore and he decided to speak up himself. "We aren’t going to have a choice here. If you think about it, it’s obvious where the majority of the injuries will be..." he griped, looking around at his fellow cadets. "We are gonna have to go near the gate, that’s bound to be the hotbed of casualties."

Eelja gazed at each and every one of them that he stood with, trying to figure them out. He realized that they were all trying to rationalize the situation they were in. Trying to convince themselves that everything would be alright. Someone needed to be the root lodged in reality, so it might as well be him. They were not prepared, they were not equipped, and they were not ready to face an onslaught of Titans, yet that was what they were about to do.

“I doubt we are all gonna make it, Hell, I don’t think any of us will, but there are people out there who need us...” he added, turning away from the others.

Under pressure, there was no space for mistakes, no time to adjust. All that existed in Utopia now was victory or death, with no middle ground to stand on. Eelja knew this, and he knew it was now their job to make sure the other soldiers and civilians made it out of the district alive.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 02:17:22 AM »
Mercedes slowed a little at Eelja's words. He was right, of course. If they wanted to do their job right, they had to go near the gate. But they all knew that. What was the point in putting it like that, though? Her skin prickled.

But he's right, a trickle of fear told her. The thing she'd pushed to the back of her mind for so long reared its ugly head: one of her earliest memories was that bone-shaking cart ride to the Wall with Julia when she was four, the Titans bearing down on them. How helpless she'd felt. What if all this training was for nothing, what if she'd been lying to herself about being totally confident in her skills? What if --

Mercedes caught sight of Claude again, ahead of her now. It felt like a hand reaching in and clenching around her heart.

She frowned. No, stop it. You've got this. You have to keep them together.

She hung back a little more to fall into step with Eelja. She thought she knew enough about him from the past couple of years to know how to approach this. She needed to avoid the subject of his brother, first and foremost. But besides that, they were similar, she had to admit. That made it both easier and harder. "Hey," she said lowly. "You can't think about that part. We won't make it if we condemn ourselves from the start. Just focus, and have faith. We have everything we need." She took a stride ahead, feeling adrenaline course through her veins, and raised her voice so the others could hear, "Just stay together, let's try to pace ourselves. If we're a little slower, that's how it'll be. I vote we head closer to the gate."

There was nothing else to do but put actions behind her words. Mercedes drew ahead to the front, and hoped she'd be followed. « Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 05:45:55 PM by Mercedes Carello »

~ Anna Akhmatova

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 12:53:37 AM »
As the others continued talking, carrying on conversations about the ubiquitously bad situation they were stuck in, the taller-than-all Bertholdt hung back slightly. He kept up with them, but walked alone, still deciphering in his mind what could have possibly brought about the attack of the Titans. Why would someone open up the walls? There’s no other explanation... i know the gate wasn’t destroyed...

He shook his head and threw the thought to the back of his mind. There was no point in overthinking things, he’d figure it all out soon. At least, he hoped so.

Raising his hand up, Bertholdt wiped a bead of sweat off of his forehead, looking ahead again, focusing on his squad-mates. Before he could go running off to the exterior wall, he knew he would need to spend at least a little bit of time helping out the other cadets throughout the district. Not only that, but he would need to fall back on his training as a soldier on this ‘mission.’ He could not transform in Utopia unless his life was certainly about to end.

Hopefully there aren’t many in need that haven’t died already. I don’t want to waste time gallivanting around as a nurse. Bertholdt narrowed his eyes, his lips parting slightly. How was he able to think in such a harsh manner about his friends? He wasn’t even sure he knew the answer himself.

He turned up his ears when he heard Mercedes and Eelja. "Yes! We should make for the gate immediately. The Titan containment squads are bound to be facing casualties. If we don’t help them first, those will turn entirely into fatalities." He wasn’t wrong, that was very likely the case. Helping the others so close to the gate would even lend him the chance to make a pit stop to investigate what had happened.

He rushed ahead, walking shoulder to shoulder with Mercedes. "We have what it takes. I know it."

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 08:32:35 PM »
(OOC Notes: Just keeping things moving! Also, please do NOT feel obliged to mimic this post's length, I just had the muse for it! I'm also perfectly happy to edit this if y'all would like something different. <3 )

“We have what it takes. I know it.”

Mercedes passed Bertholdt a smile at his words as he fell into step next to her. They hadn’t interacted much prior to now but she was confident in his abilities, despite him being the reserved sort.

Her attention was drawn by the crash of crumbling stone and tile -- ahead of them rose the monolith of the gate, and at the end of this street a cloud of dust was a veil over the figure of at least one Titan. A couple of buildings directly to the side of the gate had partially-collapsed. Mercedes’ eyes widened in surprise when a far smaller shadow of a soldier tried to stand out of the rubble, got off the ground a short ways, and was promptly swatted like a fly.

She headed forward anyway. There was another half-corpse with the telltale brown jacket sticking out from under the rubble, but a civilian was also trying to wrench herself free. In front of her, presumably pushed forward out of the way of the worst of it, was a bawling young girl nursing a skinned knee. A quick dart of Mercedes’ eyes showed her another civilian cowering in a shattered doorway, trying to determine the best way out over the debris.

Why weren’t they evacuated earlier! she cursed.

Her heart started to hammer more than it already was as she saw the six-meter look their way. Another building nearby began to collapse, sending more dust into the air and making it hard to see the area around it. The civilians began to scream.

Mercedes temporarily sheathed her blades as she began to sprint down the road, ripping off her supply pack. “Get the civilians! I’ll cover you!” she yelled behind her and threw the pack closer to the young girl for someone else to use. She’d grab it when she was done -- or someone else could take it if she failed.

Her blades came out again. Sharp eyes peered through the roving dust, fired a line at the most solid edge of the building nearest the tawny-haired Titan -- she shot forward as it reached downward for its lost meal. A severing of its fingers caught its attention, and Mercedes vanished into the chalky-smelling dust with it. There were only glimpses of the Titan and even less of the buildings, and it gave everything a dreamlike quality.

Focus, she told herself. Kill with one strike, she repeated the mantra of both Julia and Godfrey. Every muscle tensed as she hurled herself past the Titan.

She shot a line at its back, felt the satisfying tug that looped her back around. It looked over its shoulder with a slack expression and, on spotting her, its eyes became wild and it turned to face her. Mercedes held her breath, her adrenaline roaring. It lashed out with its intact hand, the dust pulled in its wake -- it was so close that to avoid it, Mercedes simply released her line and cut gas output, dropping like a stone. The hand grazed the tail of her braid as she fell; all sound faded except the air rushing into her lungs.

A quick fire of another line hit its shoulder and she swooped low, her arc taking her so close to the ground that she ran along it a short ways between the Titan’s legs before hurling herself upward, trying to use her body’s momentum rather than gas. Her second line was fired at its back again and swiftly retracted -- she landed on its thrashing body and clenched all of the muscles in her upper body all the way to her fingers to brace for the strike. She carved into the back of the Titan’s neck, deep enough to where the blades almost emerged through its throat. It stumbled and fell into the mess it had created.

It was only when Mercedes was darting away that it occurred to her that it’d been her first kill. The fear lifted, a little -- she could do this. They all could.

She was nearly out of the dust cloud when another large shadow swooped out from behind a nearby building scarcely eight feet in front of her. Yellow, saliva-wet teeth and a single eye glimmered. Her heart fell into her gut. Fuck.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:53:55 PM by Mercedes Carello »

~ Anna Akhmatova

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 09:33:22 PM »
They'd barely gotten over the Wall, a monstrous height as it was, and slipped over the top and travelled above the district than chaos made itself apparent. From height, Claude could see just how bad it was - speedy abnormals and thunderously determined titans had swept their way far from the outer gate, the benefit of walking through buildings clearly having paved their way deep into Utopia District. Not all had managed it, going by the thick of sparks and dense mists that rose above buildings, dispersing in the air and yet replaced with more. She couldn't make out how many titans had already entered, but it was enough to be worried.

And one abnormal had clearly cut almost right up to the inner gate.

The sight of the civilians made her chest ache and her nerves set aflame, and as Mercedes went towards the carnage, she followed, throwing horrified looks to the others. Was it naive to have believed it wouldn't be so bad? Eelja's words still echoed in her mind, the thought that none of them might make it out, and there was no helping the anxiety that pounded her heart hard against her ribs. Mercedes' call only worsened it, and she rushed in, not knowing wheat she should be doing, only that something had to be done.

But she did her duty, landing with some discomfort to run over to the cowering civilian. "It's okay," she assured softly. "Are you hurt?" They shook their head. "Okay, we can get you out of here." Was she meant to pick them up and carry them off? She wasn't strong enough for that! Looking around quickly, blue-green eyes panicked, checking to see what the others would do. Could they just shepherd them away from the spot? She daren't look for Mercedes, or in direction of the titan she was aware of but didn't want to acknowledge.

"Just..." Her words faltered before she'd even begun. Swallowing, she pushed herself to keep going. "Follow me." If there were more titans coming, and she was certain there were, then the civilians had to be taken somewhere safer. One of the evacuation teams, maybe, or the inner gate. It would be slow, but she could do that.

She couldn't bear to get up close to any of those monsters. The wooden structures weren't half as imposing.

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 01:15:38 AM »
There they were. Actual, for real Titans standing only meters away from the Medic Squad. Eelja’s knees began to buckle slightly, simply at the sight of the ever-hungry maw, the always consuming monsters approaching in their slow, ominous fashion. Before any form of protest could be uttered, Mercedes leapt right into action, leaving the elder Fythan with a feeling of disturbance for letting someone else take the risk of attacking the titans. He stumbled forwards, locking his eyes onto the young girl with the injured knee, and took hold of the pack Mercedes had thrown to the ground.

"It’s.... it’s gonna be okay... oh my God..." Eelja spoke the words with as much confidence as a blind man tightrope walking over a cliff. His mouth was suddenly parched, as dry as the training grounds the cadets once called home. His attention was drawn away from the girl as he watched his squadmate leap into the air at the nearest Titan, engaging it in combat. While Eelja would’ve applauded her bravery and skill in taking down the tremendous foe, his attention snapped back to the girl before him. "I’m sorry, let’s get you out of here.." Eelja shook his head to recover from his daze, scooping the young girl up into his arms after slinging on the additional pack.

The blonde boy turned his head and fired the dual anchors at an intact building, opposite the direction of the titans. Spurring himself and the young girl off the ground, Eelja landed with a slight hitch on the edge of the roof and set her down, removing Mercedes pack, and setting into work. He managed to stop the bleeding quickly, before applying a rag covered in alcohol to the wound. He apologized to the girl for the stinging sensation, but assured her of its necessity. After sustaining the recovery, he wrapped her knee in a few rolls of thin bandages, before standing up, turning back to see the progress of his compatriots.

Nobody was dead yet, and in this world, that was a marker of success, however, the titans in the area were still alive and kicking, which was not as good a marker of success. His teeth grinder together as he struggled to formulate a decision. Should he help his squad mates, or should he ensure this girl gets out of harms way entirely? Again, he was torn, but made the most logically sound decision in his mind. Grabbing the girl once again in his arms, Eelja shot up the wall, scaling the massive structure. Once at the top, he ran away from the edge, making sure she was set down in the safe middle ground of the wall’s top.

Afterwards, Eelja once again descended into the chaos-filled Utopia, his expression more grim than the Reaper. He knew he’d inevitably face off with a Titan, his life could be limited to minutes at this point. Yet, knowing he’d saved at least one person did light a small flame of hope in his heart, minute as it may be.

* Tagbox

Refresh History

* Credits

Site banner, advert image and affiliate button created by Moon Child

Reluctant Heroes is in no way affiliated with Shingeki no Kyojin, Attack on Titan or Funimation and we give full credit to Hajime Isayama. Copyrights and trademarks for the manga and anime are held by their respective owners while all original content remains the property of the individual writers and artists.

We are grateful to former staff member Artsy for her creative input.