• Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Wanted

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Puffin: Ah, so happy you think she's a fit! :D
    June 05, 2020, 12:49:13 PM
  • Quiet: Luna Lovegood as Annie! I'm here for that.
    June 05, 2020, 12:24:04 AM
  • Quiet: Sounds like a plan! Looking forward to it. :-)
    June 04, 2020, 06:28:11 PM
  • Puffin: Long overdue, but I'll be sending you a wee message tonight! It'll be great to catch-up and plot. <3
    June 04, 2020, 06:03:07 PM
  • Puffin: Not too bad, thanks! Had a stressful few weeks with work, but finally got put on furlough yesterday, so that's a relief.
    June 04, 2020, 06:02:35 PM
  • Quiet: Can't complain! How on things on your end?
    June 04, 2020, 03:20:16 PM
  • Puffin: Hey Quiet! How's it going? You're the face claim queen, Dormer is fab! :)
    June 04, 2020, 03:19:39 PM
  • Quiet: Howdy y'all!
    June 04, 2020, 02:51:43 PM
  • Anka Rheinberger: Awww yisss!!!
    June 04, 2020, 12:17:18 AM
  • Puffin: Ruth is wonderful, Quiet!  I can't wait to plot. <3
    June 04, 2020, 12:13:55 AM
  • Rico Brzenska: Howdy y'all!
    June 03, 2020, 10:32:01 PM
  • Puffin: And happy birthday to best girl Anka! :D
    June 01, 2020, 11:28:44 PM
  • Puffin: Hey Quiet! <3 We're living in some strange times, I hope you're coping okay and that all's well in your corner of the world. I'll be in touch properly soon. :)
    June 01, 2020, 11:28:26 PM
  • Quiet: Howdy y'all. The world has gone to hell and a handbasket...but just wanted to pop in and say hi. And happy birthday Anka. Hope everyone is staying safe and making good choices.
    June 01, 2020, 11:22:43 PM
  • the dear hunter.: please i forgot i can't do multiple question marks...
    May 12, 2020, 01:28:44 AM
  • the dear hunter.: howzit???? :0
    May 12, 2020, 01:28:32 AM
  • Puffin: Quiet! I hope you're well. <3 I'm sorry to have been so absent folks, replies are coming, I promise. Stay safe, everyone. :)
    April 20, 2020, 12:02:31 PM
  • Quiet: Happy Monday y'all! Hope everyone is keeping well!
    April 06, 2020, 10:02:32 PM
  • Quiet: LOL he is for sure doing more with his life than I was when I was 16.
    March 24, 2020, 06:17:53 PM
  • Yuri Aximand: I believe in him!
    March 24, 2020, 05:03:42 PM

* Directories

RPG-DRPG Initiative

Author Topic: A new breed of rat. [Amanda]  (Read 412 times)

A new breed of rat. [Amanda]
« on: December 22, 2019, 05:43:46 PM »
[ early spring 844 ]

Wall Maria's western district bustled with the sort of life Quirin detested. The poor and the needy, scrambling over themselves to fight for any crumbs. Of course there were some who might have been decent, but ultimately they were all pigs squealing in the mud. Gorging themselves with what could be spared, acting as though they needed it. Yet they didn't seem to provide enough to cover themselves, which only fed into their scavenging nature - they should work harder, produce more. Why was it the Military Police's fault that half of them struggled to pay their taxes? Instead, they were flies, crawling over the carcasses of the rich. Pathetic beasts.

"Move!" snapped a soldier of the Garrison, shouldering harshly into him. There was space around him, but in this disguise - that of a ragged beggar - it was only natural for them to treat him so. The scrap of fabric that hooded his hair was patched and frayed, playing into this weakness. They all hated the poor, one way or another. Asides from such interactions, he was virtually invisible.

Hunched over, Quirin slipped down a thin alley between Quinta's houses, eyes peeled for any instance of interest. Thieves run amok in poverty, one of his superiors had once said. Wall Maria was as far from the rich estates of Wall Sina as possible. Their nobles were something to sniff at. But they were surely teeming with money, enough to tempt any to try their luck. And even as he made his way across part of the district to one such place, he watched other buildings, rigid in uniformity, for signs of rats. Thieves who could sniff out food and coin as well as any surely wouldn't pass up on such an opportunity. « Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 03:54:35 AM by Quirin Drexler »

Re: A new breed of rat. [Amanda]
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 06:33:55 PM »
The cool autumn air rustled Amanda's ill-gotten clothing. She rubbed a small gold coin in her pocket, scowling from one of the rooftops as she looked on. Her long observation period was almost over.

She'd calculated the patrols for several mornings and had the schedule of the Garrison brutes down. in five minutes, they'd switch shifts. This is probably why the very impatient guard shoved a fellow impoverished man away rudely. she rolled her eyes. No fucking mercy anywhere in this place.

If she was lucky... her plan would feed her and the man. If she could find him again.

The time had come and she slipped down from the roof, walking slowly into the market place. The Garrison soldiers didn't pay her much mind as she walked casually past them, looking at the stands in the market place. There was one particular stand that would be out of view, and earshot, in the patrol gap.

That's what she was here for. Staring intently ahead, she was mere yards from her target now.

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 07:30:47 PM »
He had to pass through the market place before he could reach his destination, as much as he detested the idea of merging with the throng of fleas. Another decent place to catch thieves, he supposed. The stalls must be some sort of flower bed to attract pests. Who would give up such a chance? Military presence would deny some, not all.

Looking around, he picked out faces in the crowd. A merchant he'd seen just a few weeks ago in Yarckel, haggling over cheap, fine cloth to benefit himself further. Children playing some sort of trivial game of chase, stumbling around people. One of the vendors offering a little extra to an old woman; pity spared the hag.

Something else caught his eye - the intense look of a hunter, fixed on... ah, a stand. Of course. Perhaps he'd found what he was looking for. Either way, he would make do with the result. Hobbling to the side, he skimmed the wall to gain a better line of sight. He was not quite as obvious in his focus, head bowed and eyes glancing around like that of any anxious urchin afflicted by paranoia. Still, he watched, curious to see the thief's actions.

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 12:52:54 AM »
Closer and closer she drew. No longer desperate as a thief like in her beginning days, her actions were calculated and smooth.

She was within sight of the cart, and slowed her walk slightly. Pulling her hood down, she glued her eyes to the ground and counted her steps. Then…

She bumped the cart and staggered backwards.

The shop keep at the cart was not happy. His merchandise, which was mainly breads and baked goods, fell to the hard-trodden ground. He rounded the cart and huffed, being a bit heavier set than the ordinary man in the district.

Amanda immediately stooped to the ground. “ I – I’m so s—sorry sir, let me help-“ she began, her voice mildly upset and soft as she tried picking things up that had landed by her feet.

“NO. You’ve done quite enough! Get the fuck away from my bread!” the man yelled, shoving her away from the goods. He then stooped to pick up the rolls from the ground, and she backed away.

Just out of his sight. To the other side of his cart, where she stole two clean loaves of baker’s bread and walked away unscathed. Piece of cake.

She ducked into an alley and made sure the loaves were hidden and secure. She wasn’t out of the woods yet. She’d need to find a safe place to eat her spoils, otherwise she’d need to fight for her prize from the other, less calculated hungry people around the district.

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 01:46:07 AM »
It amused him, seeing the common pig steal.

There was a delicate plan in place as the creature acted. Calculations made to seem innocent; he might have been fooled had he not seen that look in their eyes, the way they made a beeline for that very cart, the way the bread was stolen so efficiently. While the stall-holder saw nothing. An idiot. Believing in innocence and people who were not out for themselves. At least in this case.

An alley was so tediously dull that he almost rolled his eyes. Just so... typical. Did they not scout the surrounding area for houses they could slip into? A hiding spot? Prepare their clothes better in order to take them efficiently? Even a basket would have been better. Hardly impossible to grab either.

He followed.

If he were fortunate, this urchin would put up just enough of a struggle to have some manner of worth in the world. He couldn't do it there, of course - he'd have to bring them elsewhere. Decidedly not an alley.

"Whatcha got?" he said, voice hushed, inflected with a rough edge of Quinta dialect. Pronunciation would be his downfall - he'd have to mimic enough of the slang to nail it. "Did ya get somethin'? Somethin' good?"

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 02:44:09 AM »
Amanda knew someone had followed her. She heard the footsteps and felt the person's eyes on her back. She kept walking decidedly down the alleyway until her follower spoke. He was close behind her.

Too close, in her opinion.

She suddenly stopped and swung her arm, wanting to catch the man off guard. She spun as she swung, revealing her fierce blue-green eyes and just a hint of her strawberry blonde hair that fell out of it’s hold. Her pale face looked angry, a tough front for the survivor.

“Hey fuck off pal-“ she hissed, holding a low defensive form. Being short had its advantages, if all else failed, she could either sweep the man or tackle him. Making herself look big with her wide stance, she prepared herself to fight for her food.
She recognized the man though. Upon seeing him after her quick transition, she realized that this was the man she had wanted to share with.

She couldn’t back off of her guard, though. Even if she wanted to show the man some compassion, he was still a stranger and could easily prove deadly to her if she wasn’t cautious. She’d seen it way too much in this place… people were much too desperate when they lived in fear and uncertainty.

“… You sought me out… you’d gone elsewhere after I began my strike, I saw you… What is it that you want from me?”
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 02:44:53 AM by Amanda Marauder »

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 10:09:18 PM »
Smart and defensive, how interesting. Not such an easy target, how unfortunate. Still, he had an opportunity to learn, and that was a chance he didn't particularly wish to give up on so quickly. With this disguise, he would have to be as creative as he could, which meant reacting by stepping back from her fierce expression, hands raised in defence.

"Ay-ay-ay," the 'ragged beggar' said quick and fast, waving his fingers to indicate she settle down. "I ain't wanting much from you, I swear. Hungry's'all." Granted, the bread was likely baked in filth and embedded with flies or bugs to add flavouring, but the act should keep.

Falsifying a pleading look, his eyebrows knit together. "Please... 's'hard, y'know, all 'em soldiers 'nd stuff."

How well he was selling it he couldn't be sure, certain that he had at least enough skill in faking it. How hard could it really be to pretend to be some flea-bitten rat living only to scavenge around the Walls? It was their fault, he simply had to provide that as a valid backstory to this nameless husk.

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 12:43:34 AM »
An unsettled growl formed in her throat, but the female softened her gaze. Damn it. She knew how it felt… she wouldn’t deny a man some food. She had intended to seek him out anyway.

She sighed, and pulled out one of her loafs of bread from beneath her cloak. Glancing with icey ocean eyes to the man, she handed him the loaf, outstretching her arm away from her body. She still had to hold on to her guard… He was right. Things were hard, but is wasn’t only soldiers that she had to worry about.

“Here… You can have this.”

She also just… couldn’t deny someone who pleaded. She didn’t know this man. Perhaps he couldn’t get food for himself.

After she had given him the loaf, she took a pace back, just to be certain. No one was a friend here, despite her mercy. No one would accept her, even among outsiders, and she knew it already. Reality was harsh.

Despite all of this though, she wondered about… more. No one just approached a fellow scavenger. What was he really after?

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 06:08:35 PM »
How charitable and foolish. It evidently hadn't taken much to persuade her, but apparently he was convincing enough. Still, he took the bread with snatching, desperate hands and bit hard into its crust. He hadn't eaten breakfast in preparation for the role, though he still had to add further exaggeration to the way he wolfed down and spluttered crumbs as though ill. Good practice, after all.

"Thank you, thank you," he said with his mouth bulging with food, the mush crushing at his teeth. They, admittedly, were sparkling clear, but he didn't show the slivers of white for long as he munched. Once he'd had what must amount to three large, cheek-filling mouthfuls of food, he swallowed and wiped messily at his face.

Forcing a burp, he cradled the remains of the bread to his chest. "S'been a while, y'know... since I got a rest an' and a proper bite. You good at this, eh?" he cracked a smile.

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 11:43:56 PM »
“Is anyone really ever good at this sort of thing…?” she replied, almost pained. “I’m just trying to survive this hellhole. I don’t even really know what for anymore.”

Her blue eyes darkened slightly. Even though she had helped the man, it didn’t make her feel better about herself, or the situation she was in. She hadn’t forgotten that she felt like maybe there were ulterior motives to him seeking her out, but she’d hit her mental wall and took paces back to take her leave.

“I’ll be going now. Be safe out here sir,” she said, briskly turning to leave in a hurry. She figured that the man may try to follow, but really had no idea what to expect from him.

Her mind was half and half… half focused on survival, half wised for death. Who knew what side the coin would land on if it came down to a struggle over bread...

* Tagbox

Refresh History

* Credits

Site banner, advert image and affiliate button created by Moon Child

Reluctant Heroes is in no way affiliated with Shingeki no Kyojin, Attack on Titan or Funimation and we give full credit to Hajime Isayama. Copyrights and trademarks for the manga and anime are held by their respective owners while all original content remains the property of the individual writers and artists.

We are grateful to former staff member Artsy for her creative input.