* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 582
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Wanted

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Badtz-Milk: I'd love to do the RH casting call for my own characters, but I just don't know actors... LOL
    Today at 06:55:07 AM
  • Lemon: I need to check on here a bit more often. Oops. Late but, hehe, a little eyecandy never hurt. ;D Hve a great day everyone!
    Today at 06:23:24 AM
  • Quiet: Aww thank you so much!
    Today at 12:15:42 AM
  • Puffin: I hope everyone is having a great Sunday. And I loved the Rico post, Quiet! <3
    February 23, 2020, 10:09:12 PM
  • Puffin: A little bit of sugar to sweeten the weekend. ;)
    February 23, 2020, 10:06:59 PM
  • HiddenBaroness: Lemon and Puffin coming in with the eyecandy this morning on the RH casting call!
    February 23, 2020, 04:00:08 PM
  • Quiet: Yay weekend!
    February 22, 2020, 02:02:39 AM
  • HiddenBaroness: It's the weekend! Yay!
    February 22, 2020, 12:34:57 AM
  • HiddenBaroness: Aw yes it is his birthday today isn't it? Bless him.
    February 20, 2020, 05:02:16 PM
  • Quiet: Happy Birthday Mitabi!!
    February 20, 2020, 02:35:50 PM
  • HiddenBaroness: (Sent from the wrong account but you get the idea)
    February 18, 2020, 01:39:34 AM
  • Siegfried Justica: *distant chanting* Garrison, Garrison, Garrison
    February 18, 2020, 01:39:05 AM
  • Quiet: Yay! Another Garrison member! Looking forward to seeing him in play!
    February 18, 2020, 12:08:48 AM
  • Webs: Sorry for the delay, Vixen!
    February 17, 2020, 11:39:27 PM
  • Vixen: Just gonna quickly drop here a quick reminder that Santiago is ready for review c: (didn't feel like bumping his app, as I've already done that in the past)
    February 17, 2020, 02:36:48 PM
  • Webs: hoping to get some more replies done asap <3
    February 15, 2020, 09:39:39 PM
  • Webs: XD it happens!
    February 15, 2020, 09:39:33 PM
  • Vixen: Finally figured out how to remove the "WIP" from Santiago's app. I feel so accomplished x)
    February 15, 2020, 09:16:10 PM
  • HiddenBaroness: Happy Valentine's Day! Love y'all! <3
    February 14, 2020, 11:42:17 PM
  • Quiet: Same to you! And to everyone! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
    February 14, 2020, 06:16:25 PM

* Directories

RPG-DRPG Initiative

Author Topic: Cautious examination. [Gabriel]  (Read 145 times)

Cautious examination. [Gabriel]
« on: December 25, 2019, 08:58:41 PM »
[ july 847 ]

Wendelin Rosenstein was a fool and he regretted ever trusting him alone for more than three days.

"It went fine!" he had said defensively, back in the barracks. Others watching on, refusing to get involved. The telltale signs of Quirin's anger were all there - the twitch of his mouth, the nails that bit into his palm, the cold look in his eyes. "Honestly, I don't see why you're--" He didn't have the chance to keep prattling on.

Drawing a breath, Quirin pushed away thoughts of Rosenstein's idiocy and stared at the pub. He had only just secured approval for his plan and already there were complications. Ones he could not afford, no matter how much he 'trusted' his squadmate to carry out the tasks given to him. If Durand meddled further, whether by the inclusion of Rosenstein or not, then it would take a great amount of care, consideration, and changes to secure the results he was after.

He entered the establishment out of uniform, immediately looking out for Durand. The suggestion had been that he'd find him here, though why was another matter. He'd hardly had much contact with him before, though Rosenstein had been so polite as to - under duress - tell him everything he knew about the officer.

Which was still not enough, but so be it.

Brushing back his hair, Quirin settled at the bar side, ordering something vaguely alcoholic for appearances' sake, and because he didn't quite trust any bar to have decent alternatives. Sat there, he scanned the tables, tuning in to some incessant chatter about the state of some noble family in Mitras. Nothing particularly appealing, but potentially useful for the future.

Re: Cautious examination. [Gabriel]
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 12:29:19 PM »
There were few things Gabriel Durand enjoyed quite as much as chaos. Chaos in any form and shape, both the expected and the unexpected. Usually, however, he was intent on being the one to instigate said disorder and over the years he had gotten alarmingly good at it. Creating intricate webs of connections and contacts, of lies and suspicions was his speciality and if had blown up in his face before, it had not stalled him in the slightest. There was something oddly satisfying to be found in watching people get tangled in his strings, and despite not being quite the mastermind he thought himself to be; things usually turned out to his benefit. The right people knew what they could expect from him and they knew how to find him, asking for favours and jobs, for opportunities and information. Gabe provided it all. For a price, of course.

Today had been a rather slow day, ending with a round of drinks at the local pub he used to frequent - busy enough not to make transactions and ‘business’ talks all too obvious among the crowd but not so busy it was distracting. The captain - only promoted very recently - could usually be found here, talking among his many acquaintances and taking in all the gossip he could come across. No piece or information was useless.

“Ah, my friend... it seems like an awfully dull idea to simply go with what you already know,” he commented, his glass raised to lips that were decorated with an amused grin. The person addressed, a local gambler, snorted into his own drink; dirty blonde hair touseled as he shook his head. “Of course you’d say that, Gabe. Trust you to try and get me to lose everything I have.” Gabe shrugged, the corners of his lips deepening for a second before he took a sip of his beer and leaned back; one hand raised to point a finger at the man across from him; the candle light reflecting off the several rings on his fingers only making him look all the more animated. “You wound me. I would never root for your demise, I am simply trying to infuse some fun into your very boring life, Marcel.” A blatant lie, of course, but one could at least try to keep up appearances. Marcel got up from his chair, considering Gabe with a derisive look. “Screw you, Durand.” Watching the man head for the bar, Gabe stayed behind, a mischievous grin still playing on his lips.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 07:29:11 PM »
Screw you, Durand.

So he was here. It took him a moment to follow the words, gaze lingering on a man approaching the bar. He'd seen him, and he easily found the seat he'd left unattended. Yes, there was Durand. Simple. Turning to face the officer's companion, Quirin leaned in, ever so brief, considering whether he knew him, before deciding it was just a civilian. "You look like you need this more than me," he commented, a pitying look accompanying the moving of his hand. His beverage slid easily over the surface of the bar.

It ultimately didn't matter whether the man was a drinker. He simply left him there, rising from the seat to cross over to the unoccupied spot across from his target of the evening.

"Captain Durand," he greeted with an easy confidence, taking up the seat without pause. If he were to be an equal of the meddler, he'd need such an appearance. Not quite a presumption of his time, but a control of the situation all the same. "Rosenstein mentioned you frequented here." Establishing the connection - one that was friendly and not work-related - was important. "Could I buy you a drink?"

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 02:04:43 AM »
"Captain Durand.”

There was an unmistakeable determination to the voice, a confidence that pulled Gabe from his thoughts and had him look up. Ah. What a pleasant coincidence. “Quirin Drexler. I was beginning to wonder whether you would honour me with your presence sooner or later…” The easy grin had returned onto the Captain’s lips, one corner pulled up higher than the other as he let his crimson eyes rest on the soldier in front of him. He had indeed expected to see him, the fact that he showed up here only affirming his anticipations.

There were several conclusions that could be drawn from this appearance already. First, Quirin did not like meddling - Gabe had gotten his squadmate involved in some shady business under the presumption that it would not sit well with the other and so far, the situation seemed to prove him right. Secondly, Quirin was quick to take action and well informed. Not really an unexpected discovery, but it affirmed what Gabe had heard about the older man so far. Information about Quirin was surprisingly sparse, something that had only enticed him to look into him more - there were rumours, tiny, benign little whispers that had caught his attention and it was rare that Gabe did ever not act on something that intrigued him. He prided himself with the information he could attain and the information he was holding (and withholding), leveraging it whenever it was of benefit to him. An accomplished soldier thus far, sure - but the military life was not where Gabe’s passion truly lied.

“By all means, be my guest. May I know what else our friend Rosenstein mentioned to you?” There was an amused tone to his voice as he let his gaze wander over Quirin. He did not look intimidating as such, a calculated aura of confidence and an expression that was as smooth as a lake at dawn, however, hinting that there was more than met the eye.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 08:27:36 PM »
Quirin did not answer immediately, instead signalling for one of the workers. He had no interest in them, and simply ordered another non-alcoholic beverage, with a note, "And whatever my companion wants." And still he did not answer, not until an order had been placed, until the footsteps receded and left them be for the time being. The drinks did not matter. The time to consider his words did.

"I think you know what," he said, eyes sharp and fixed on him. "Now, I have no issue with whatever you wish to do with your time, your resources, and your own people. I do take issue in Rosenstein's involvement." He didn't need to be squad captain of Rosenstein to know that there was no need to pull him in. Especially given the likelihood that, perhaps, it would lead to him being caught.

Something he couldn't afford at this time.

Quirin paused again as the drinks were delivered, then moved on only to add, "Why is it that you required Rosenstein?" There had to be a reason, one which, preferably, he could solve himself. Not personally, not now, but give him some other idiot who would agree to it. Someone who would not endanger his mission.

* Tagbox

Refresh History

* Credits

Site banner, advert image and affiliate button created by Moon Child

Reluctant Heroes is in no way affiliated with Shingeki no Kyojin, Attack on Titan or Funimation and we give full credit to Hajime Isayama. Copyrights and trademarks for the manga and anime are held by their respective owners while all original content remains the property of the individual writers and artists.

We are grateful to former staff member Artsy for her creative input.