* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 92
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Wanted

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Razahir Kōri: Howdy everyone! ^^ Soem of you may still remember me! :D I just want to write that I'm terribly sorry for disappearing for such a long time! IRL took it's tll on me in the past few months! Both my work and my MSc studies kinda things for me/ With that I would like to apologize to everyone I made wait! Starting next week I'm planning on catching up with all my replies! After that I'll be really slow till February, but I'll try to write at least every two weeks in case I receive replies! ^^ Again sorry everyone and I hope all of you are doing well! ^^ Sora
    November 22, 2020, 07:58:14 PM
  • Petra Ral: I am good thanks, you?
    November 22, 2020, 03:43:51 PM
  • Petra Ral: Hey Puffin! Sorry I did not see this xD
    November 22, 2020, 03:43:46 PM
  • Puffin: Mercy! <3  How are you?
    November 20, 2020, 09:23:37 PM
  • Petra Ral: Evening all
    November 19, 2020, 05:08:50 PM
  • Petra Ral: Hi!
    November 10, 2020, 02:50:53 PM
  • Puffin: How is it Sunday already?! I hope everyone is having a good weekend!
    November 08, 2020, 04:26:45 PM
  • Webs: Hi, Ramgami!! And hello to all guests :)
    November 04, 2020, 05:50:40 PM
  • Puffin: Happy November, everyone! <3
    November 02, 2020, 12:06:19 PM
  • Puffin: I hope everyone is having a good weekend so far! ^^
    October 24, 2020, 06:14:05 PM
  • Quiet: And Kenny!  :D
    October 21, 2020, 01:17:46 AM
  • Quiet: Hi Lingwasta! Welcome to RH!
    October 21, 2020, 12:56:07 AM
  • Quiet: But yeah I think Fergus will be interesting to write once he gets in the game. :-)
    October 18, 2020, 01:48:13 AM
  • Quiet: I was proud of that lol!
    October 17, 2020, 11:58:44 PM
  • Puffin: Love Colin Morgan for Fergus Hardt, Quiet!  And I thoroughly enjoyed the GIF of him munching in his application. :D
    October 17, 2020, 11:40:51 PM
  • Puffin: Miri deserves all the hugs!
    October 17, 2020, 11:40:37 PM
  • Quiet: Miri got a hug! Blessed moment!
    October 17, 2020, 11:23:14 PM
  • Puffin: You too, Quiet! <3 I can't believe the weekend is here already, this week passed so quickly.
    October 16, 2020, 11:42:07 PM
  • Quiet: Hope everyone is having a good Friday and is heading into a relaxing weekend!
    October 16, 2020, 06:52:25 PM
  • Quiet: Happy Birthday Erwin!  ^^
    October 14, 2020, 01:22:27 PM

* Directories

RPG-DRPG Initiative

Author Topic: [OPEN] A Question of Faith  (Read 652 times)

A Question of Faith
« on: July 05, 2020, 08:26:05 PM »
Winter 845

It was midmorning, the air cold and sharp, a thin layer of snow lay on the frozen ground as a weak sun vainly struggled to provided the land with some warmth. Most cadets were inside, sheltered from the cold. Warm, secure, content. Not so for Kara Brooks, nay she could not, her prayers must be completed, her faith provided her body with the heat she needed to endure. Faith was all that mattered, it did not matter if it was in the Walls, in one's self or in victory, faith was something pure... It was divine.

She knelt on the frigid ground in front of an oak tree, leafless in the wind. Her head was lowered, her eyes closed, hands clasped in prayer, tightly gripping the icon of her faith, a symbol of the Church of Walls on a pedant in her hands. Kara prayed aloud, she always did, always had. There were many who disliked her faith, but she never forced her beliefs on anyone. Never asked any to join her in prayer, never asked if anyone wished to discuss the Goddesses.

"From the lightning and the tempest, Our Goddesses, deliver us." Her words were clearly audible, her voice confident, filled with conviction. "From plague, deceit, temptation and Titans, Our Goddesses, deliver us. From the scourge of the Abnormal, Our Goddesses, deliver us. From the blasphemy of the Titans, Our Goddesses, deliver us. From the begetting of Armoured and Colossal Titans, Our Goddesses, deliver us. From the curse of the Titan, Our Goddesses, deliver us." For as long as Kara knew, there had always been the Church, the Goddesses were there for her, they guided her, protected her, just as they guided and protected even those who did not believe in them. "That thou wouldst bring them only death. That thou shouldst spare none. That thou shouldst pardon none. I beseech thee Goddesses, destroy the Titan." Kara seemed to possess an endless supply of prayers and scripture. Rare were the days she did not mutter these during a difficult exercise or march.

"Goddesses hear my prayer, guide us, protect us, aid us in defending your realm, aid us in reclaiming your most holy Wall. Protect us all." She fell silent, but remained in the position of prayer, letting the act of worship relax her body, clear her mind and cleanse her soul.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 08:47:21 PM by Kara Brooks »

Re: A Question of Faith
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 01:10:09 AM »
Mina was cold. Her feet crunched on the thin layer of snow and she was blowing rings with her foggy breath. Her father would do that with his pipe smoke. She missed her father, mother, little siblings and everyone back home. But she was here now and Mina was trying to make the best of it.

She had a few friends had been playing on a patch of ice - sliding around, pushing each other, and having a laugh. It was good to let off some steam and have some fun.

Now she was heading back to the girl's bunk. She had some work to finish and she wanted to get warmed up. Tucking her chin down into her scarf, Mina walked along, humming softly to herself. Out of the corner of her eye, Mina saw something that...confused her. A girl...Mina was pretty sure her name was Kara...was kneeling on the ground. She seemed to be talking to herself though Mina could not make out what she was saying.

Mina watched for a moment longer before approaching - stopping a few feet away before speaking up, "Kara right? You okay there?"

“Kindness begins with the understanding that we all struggle.”

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 05:37:18 AM »
 A voice interrupted Kara from her thoughts, returning her focus to the real world and reality around her. It was probably time she sought shelter inside and warmed up, her body sending signals that it happened to be very cold. There would be no purpose in making herself sick due to the cold. She stood up, letting go of her pendants and cupping her palms before blowing warm air into her hands and rubbing them together in an attempt to get some heat back into them. Kara turned and offered the other girl a friendly smile. It was Mina? "Yeah that is correct. I'm fine thank you, I was just finishing my prayers." Kara knew that others found her faith uncomfortable and thus her to be, thus making it an awkward topic of conversation when it came up.

Kara never forced her faith upon everyone but the Church as a whole had a negative reputation with the military. For one they refused to allow for there to be rails and cannons on the most sacred Walls. Something which Kara found to be confusing, surely to allow for humanity to be destroyed and the Walls defiled by the Titans was far worse? She feared that everyone here thought her to be just like some of the more extreme preachers, all fire and brimstone to anyone who disagreed with them. Despite being raised by the Church, she had never gotten on with members who were like that. "How are you?" She asked kindly.

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 09:38:54 PM »
"Yeah that is correct. I'm fine thank you, I was just finishing my prayers."

Prayers? Mina raised her brows a little and nodded. "Oh. Okay. I just wanted to make sure you were okay. It's pretty cold out and you were just...kneeling there." There was no malice in her voice, just confusion. Mina had never known anyone religious - that she knew of - and while Mina thought people had a right to their beliefs - it was just not something she could wrap her mind around. Each to their own though. She'did not know Kara well, but she'd never seen the girl be pushy with her beliefs.

"How are you?"

"I'm good," Mina said with a small smile. She was. Classes and training were going well enough, she had some good friends, life was pretty solid for her.

"How are things with you?" Mina asked. The snow was starting to come down a little harder. It looked pretty falling from the sky. "Classes going alright?"

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 10:18:22 PM »
 So far Kara had not found anyone else in the 104th who shared her faith. It was just like the priests had warned her about, the military did not normally attract the religiously minded. Not that she minded that fact, everyone was different and everyone believed in something, even if that faith was nothing at all. From what she had gathered, there was a stigma of sorts as the Church had held up the fortification of the Walls against any further Titan attacks.
Kara also believed that the Walls should be fortified further, something the Church disapproved of greatly. Indeed, her adopted father, a priest by trade and nature disagreed with the military's defilement of the sacred Wall. But from Kara's perspective, it made sense to defend the Walls rather than let Wall Rose suffer desecration at the hands of the Titan? Human lives were at risk, faith though a mighty weapon by itself was nothing without firepower or blades to back it up.

"Thank you that was kind of you. But I am fine." Kara replied with a friendly smile, she was right about the cold and it was kind of the other girl to care enough to ask. "I did not want to upset the other girls... Many do not share my faith in the Goddesses and the Church has done little to earn the respect of the military." Kara did not sound sad, more weary that some chose to dislike her over one aspect of her personality. She never understood why, she never forced her faith on others, sure she prayed, she read the holy book, but never preached to the others, never hounded them about it. Heck, unless asked she did not bring it up in conversation, yet still there were some who discriminated against her because of it. The words of her adopted father filtered into her mind. "It will not be easy to keep faith in faithless company." But Kara had gone anyway, her goal was to reclaim Wall Maria, reclaim the lost lands of humanity and reclaim the fallen holy Wall from the Titans.

"Glad to hear." She replied, glancing up at the snowy sky as the flakes began to fall in ever increasing numbers. "I am good too." Kara decided after a few moments of hesitating. There was no point in mentioning that at times she felt ostracized from many of the other soldiers because of her faith, they thought her to be some raving fanatic that sadly some of the priests were. Still she had made some friends and for the most part few minded her prayers. She suspected a handful even secretly enjoyed them knowing that at least with Kara around, the deities would be on their side.

"No I still cannot hit the targets with the rifles." Kara admitted, it was no secret.  Heck, thanks to an instructor, Kara had the unfortunate nickname of Try, for Try Again Kara. She had not even come close to hitting a target yet. No matter what she tried, extra practice, getting advice from instructors and cadets who were good shots... Nothing worked. She guessed that she should have hit the target even by accident. But no, not a single recorded hit. "Do you want to go inside? We can get a hot drink or warm up by a heater?" Kara suggested, feeling herself starting to shiver.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 07:19:25 PM »
Sorry for the delay!!

"I did not want to upset the other girls... Many do not share my faith in the Goddesses and the Church has done little to earn the respect of the military."

Mina noted the weariness in the other girl's voice and gave a little nod. From what she understood, the Church would often harass soldiers about the Walls. Which seemed mad to Mina. She was not sure what to say. Yes. The Church of the Walls made her uncomfortable. But Kara, from what she had seen, had never been anything but polite. Still. It was something she made the choice to be part of...maybe. Mina was not sure how religion actually worked.

"No I still cannot hit the targets with the rifles."

Artillery was one of the classes Mina genuinely excelled it. She was surprised that she liked firing guns and blowing things up. 3DM, strategy - things like that she was middling at best. But she liked explosions and blowing holes in things.

"I...think that really only matters if you're going into the MPs or the Garrison. I don't think the rifles get used much in the Survey Corps," Mina offered. If she remembered correctly, Kara had mentioned wanting to go into the Survey Corps.

"Do you want to go inside? We can get a hot drink or warm up by a heater?"

Mina nodded, she was really starting to feel the cold through her coat. "That's a good idea. I think it's just going to get colder. Don't want to be out in this. The wood stove sounds like a good idea right now."

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 10:02:54 PM »
At the girl's nod, Kara added. "It was something I disagreed with my adopted father on... The Walls whether you believe them to be divine or not, need to be protected from the Titans." It was a fact regardless of one's own opinion on the divine. "Sadly I am in the minority for that belief... In the Church anyway..." Here, Kara was in the minority for having faith, but she would not abandon it, her faith was part of who she was. She let out a quiet sigh and pushed the gloomy thought aside. But she did not bring up much else about her beliefs, unless prompted or praying Kara generally kept quiet about it. 

"Maybe." Kara said with a shrug of her small shoulders. "I just wish I could hit the target for a change just so the instructor stops calling me Try all the time." She knew the nickname had stuck unfortunately, the instructor had a name for the religious cadet and that was that.

"I think so too." Kara said in agreement leading the pair over to the girl's barracks. Kara slipped inside, holding the door open for her comrade before closing it. Already she felt warmer, she ran a hand through her long hair as ever dyed a bright pink. "Any preference on what we drink?" Kara asked as she stepped over to her bunk, kneeling down to open the footlocker. The contents did not reveal much about Kara as a person, a dog eared and worn copy of the holy book of the Church, various bits of military gear and garb as well as a small cardboard box. This Kara took out, opening the lid to reveal various different packets of tea. "I ordered this in the mail recently." She explained. Kara never got anything in the mail, the Church did not write to her and she had no family to receive letters from. « Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:04:31 PM by Kara Brooks »

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 10:29:35 PM »
OOC: Thanks for your patience!  :) :)

"It was something I disagreed with my adopted father on... The Walls whether you believe them to be divine or not, need to be protected from the Titans. Sadly I am in the minority for that belief... In the Church anyway..."

At this point, Mina had concluded that talk of religion made her uncomfortable. She could understand not agreeing with your parents on things - she and her folks did not always see eye to eye on everything - but Kara could still make the choice to belong to the Church. Maybe? Mina was not a person of faith and she was not sure how any of that worked. It was probably a lot more complex than she could ever really understand. She did nod and gave a small smile - hoping for a topic change.

"Maybe. I just wish I could hit the target for a change just so the instructor stops calling me Try all the time."

"Who is your instructor?" Mina asked as she watched her breath fog out infront of her. Mina had been surprised to learn that she loved firing weapons and explosions. And that she was good at it. In a way - she was a little sad she might not be able to use those skills much in the Corps - but it would be worth it see outside the Walls.

Mina felt for Kara. Struggling with something was never fun and it could be downright embarrassing at times. 3DM gear was not easy for her. Mina felt she had to work twice as hard to be half as good as some cadets. it had reduced her to tears at times, but she was still here and while she doubted she'd be a top cadet - Mina was at least sure she'd graduate and not be at the very bottom. That was something. She was content. "You're doing your best. And you're good at other things!"

"I ordered this in the mail recently."

Mina had to give a nod of approval at the selection of tea. That was more than she ever had. "You pick. What do you think goes with sugar cookies? Hang on." With that, Mina hurried over to her bunk and and pulled out her latest care package from home. There were sugar and lavender cookies. Mina tucked the lavender cookies aside - those were for Annie - and grabbed the sugar cookies. Moving back to Kara, Mina held them out, "Here. Fresh from home!"

Settling down next to the stove, Mina warmed her hands. Tiny pin prickles shot from the tips of her fingers to her wrists as she watched Kara. "How are your other classes going?"

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 04:31:39 PM »
"Philips." Kara replied with a forced smile. "He is good as an instructor... He taught others to shoot well I probably could not hit the Wall if I loaded birdshot and fired at point blank range." She shook her head slowly, at this point it was either laugh at her misfortune or start crying about how frustrating it was to miss with every shot.

"Thank you." Kara felt a slight blush come to her cheeks at her encouragement. "I have an unfair advantage when it comes to the ODM gear... Since I want to be an acrobat when all this is over." Her acrobatic talents were quite impressive and amusing when she showed them off. They were in part a way to help others like her as that was often Kara's fear, that people either pretended to like her or kept her around out of pity, never truly thinking her as a friend.

She nodded selecting the black tea and popping the small bag in a kettle and pouring in some water from a bottle before sticking it atop the stove to bring it to a boil. "You are too kind to give me these." Kara said accepting the sugar cookie as if it were the greatest treasure. The first biscuit that she had from Mina, she had cherished and ate sparingly not wanting to rush the rare treat.

"I'm doing okay I think at the rest of the classes." Kara said sitting down beside her and letting the fire warm her up and dry out the parts of her uniform that were damp from the snow. "How about you?"

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 09:56:51 PM »
"Philips. He is good as an instructor... He taught others to shoot well I probably could not hit the Wall if I loaded birdshot and fired at point blank range."

Ah. Miri had lucked out with her instructor then. She felt bad for Kara. No one deserved to be picked on. Especially by an instructor. "You're good at lots of other things," Mina said as she watched Kara get the tea ready. "And pretty soon we'll be graduated." The idea of that excited Mina. Soon she would be beyond the Walls. Hopefully she'd last.

"Thank you.I have an unfair advantage when it comes to the ODM gear... Since I want to be an acrobat when all this is over."

"It's good to have plans for after all this is over," Mina said with a nod. She...really did not. Probably just go back to Jinae and farm like her parents. , "This smells wonderful," she murmed, watching the steam roll up from the kettle as the water heated. "I never thought about ordering anything before. So that's pretty clever."

"You are too kind to give me these."

"No...my mother makes these by the bucket I swear," Mina laughed a little and took a bite of her cookie, "I have a bunch of little brothers and sisters and they love these. Do you have any siblings?" Kara had mentioned a father and Mina wondered if she had any other family. While Mina was still on the fence about Kara - she had to admit she did find the girl interesting. She'd certainly had a life much different than Mina's.

"I'm doing okay I think at the rest of the classes. How about you?"

"Same. I'm passing everything. I know. Won't be in the top ten...but don't need to be for the Survey Corps. That's you're plan too? The Survey Corps?"

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 07:54:57 AM »
She smiled. "Thank you, you are too and yeah you are right." Kara was looking forward to graduating and joining the Scouts. She would be a step closer to achieving her dream, her goal of reclaiming Wall Maria for Church and Humanity. She shivered whether from cold or excitement of the thought of walking upon such holy ground she could not say.

"Thanks, one day this war will be over so it makes sense to dream of another life." Kara let out a small sigh. She wanted to be a soldier, but if the world had been at peace... If there were no Titans she never would have joined the military. But they did not live in such a world, nay they lived in a world were devils and monsters hounded humanity and sought to devour the few humans which remained. "Thank you and it is not too difficult so I can show you if you want sometime?" Kara offered, it had made a nice change to receive something in the post for once. She never complained about her lack of post however, she was far from the only orphan in the 104th.

Kara smiled when Mina said she her mother made loads of these biscuits. Her smile faltered when Mina asked if she had any siblings. She shook her head. "No... No family just my adopted father." He had been the one to find her on the doorstep of the Church, a note with just her first name, a baby without a mother or father, no home, a baby cold and hungry who he and the Church took in and raised.

When the kettle came to the boil she poured two cups of black tea and offered one of the mugs to Mina. "I hope you like it." She said before taking her seat once more and breathing in the aroma of the tea.

"Yeah you do not need to be in the top ten to be in the Survey Corps." Kara could not imagine wanting to join the Military Police, or even the Garrison for that matter. She had but one option and that was to ride beyond the Walls and take the fight to the monsters, to the Titans. "That is right, I will reclaim Wall Maria." She left out how once she set foot upon such a sacred site that she would kneel in prayer to her deities. 

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 10:19:35 PM »
"Thanks, one day this war will be over so it makes sense to dream of another life."

Mina nodded. It was hard to think about the war being over. It had been going the entirety of her own short life. But maybe it would end and there would be no need for the Survey Corps. Then...well yeah...Mina would go back to farming. Back to Jinae. Of course that was assuming she survived. Mina tried to keep a positive attitude, but she fully understood she could die right out of the...very literal...gate on her first mission. She pushed the thought out of her head and turned back to Kara - who was kindly offering to show her own to order something in the mail.

"I'd really appreciate that," Mina said with a vigorous nod. She had been saving for a while and she finally figured she had enough to order some new sheet music for her fiddle. She wondered if she could order that through the mail.

"No... No family just my adopted father."

"That's not a bad thing," Mina said through a mouthful of cookie. "Bet it was quieter. I don't think it was ever quiet in my house."

"I hope you like it."

Mina blew on the steaming tea and then took a sip. It was amazing. Probably some of the best tea she'd ever had. "It's...really great!" She took another sip and closed her eyes in appreciation.

"That is right, I will reclaim Wall Maria."

"I think you're just what the Survey Corps wants then," Mina said quietly. Kara had passion - that was for sure. And while she did not share Kara's passion - she had to admire it. Mina was - at her core - just curious. Her mother had often called her nosy. But Mina just really wanted to see beyond the Walls. It really did not run deeper than that for her.

"So...you want to be an acrobat when all this is over? How'd that come about?"

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 01:28:50 PM »
 She blew on her tea, pausing to watch as the steam swirled forming strange patterns before she replied. "Anytime, just let me know when... It seems a bit awkward at first but once you know it, you know." She took a sip of the hot brew, wincing at bit as it was still a bit too hot to drink. She was at any rate feeling somewhat warmer. Kara did not question her desire to pray out in the cold, she needed to pray, she kept her faith here just as she had done her entire life in the Church.

"Maybe." She shrugged, Kara spent her whole life in the Church, she lived there with her adopted father and a handful of other orphans as well as those who worked for the Church. "There was more singing and prayer there than here though." Kara smirked, not that she expected the military to spend much time in prayer or song. "You must miss your family." She pointed out, wondering how it must feel to be a part from those she surely held dear.

"Thanks." Kara grinned at her praise. "Sometimes there is nothing like a hot drink to chase away the cold. It got pretty cold in the Church in winter, no amount of gloves and layers seemed to warm you up." She shuddered at the memory, whilst it may have been home, life there had not always been enjoyable.

She chuckled at that. "I would like to think so... Though I do not think they would like my faith any more than anyone else does." She forced a smile. Kara dreamt of reaching Wall Maria, of setting foot upon holy ground and defeating the Titans. To die fighting in the attempt to free others was surely the most noble use of one's own life.

"I was always agile and I could make the other kids laugh with my antics." She paused to take a bite out of the biscuit and swallowed before replying. "When I became pretty good I'd use it to help raise money for the Church and such. I'd love to become a professional at it but here in the military it makes me great with ODM gear as well as some entertainment for the other cadets." Of course the instructors did not always take too kindly to the devout cadet's antics, it could easily be interpreted as goof balling.

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 10:05:27 PM »
This was really good tea. There was always tea at her home back in Jinae and it was always alright. This must come from the interior though. Mina took another sip and then a bite from her cookie.

"There was more singing and prayer there than here though."

That made Mina laugh a little. "I'm sure the songs are different at least." Most of the songs around the training grounds were old songs from home or the rowdy pub songs that the older cadets seemed to pick up on their nights out.

"You must miss your family."

Mina paused and looked at her tea. She did miss her family. She was no longer crying at night, but Mina often wondered what her mother, father, grandma, and younger siblings were up to. It was cold not so not much farming could be done. But there was still firewood to gather and animals to care for. And school. Mina's mind wandered for a moment to a memory of her and her siblings doing their schoolwork around the fireplace. "I do. But I've wanted to join since I understood what the military was."

"Sometimes there is nothing like a hot drink to chase away the cold. It got pretty cold in the Church in winter, no amount of gloves and layers seemed to warm you up."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Mina commented. She genuinly was. While her house was cramped - it always kept the wind and snow out. She always had a coat and gloves to wear. The coat was often a hand-me-down from an older cousin and the gloves were made by her grandmother out of a jumble of yarn - but they were warm.

"The coats and gloves they issued us are pretty nice," Mina added - trying to put a positive spin on the topic. They really were.

Kara's life, from what Mina could tell, had not been that easy. That was not uncommon amoung the cadets from what Mina had learned. More than a few seemed to have joined to find a better life.

"I would like to think so... Though I do not think they would like my faith any more than anyone else does."

Talk of Kara's religion made Mina uncomfortable and she knew other people felt the same. But Kara still had a right to her beliefs. "I think if you don't made a big deal about it then no one else will." That was the best advice Mina could offer.

"When I became pretty good I'd use it to help raise money for the Church and such...military it makes me great with ODM gear as well as some entertainment for the other cadets."

"I think this is a good use of your skills," Mina said as she finished her cookie.

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 07:35:56 AM »
 Kara smirked at the other girl's laughter, Mina had a nice laugh and laughter tended to be a rare thing in these uncertain times after the fall of Wall Maria to the Titan. "Sometimes, though usually there were one or two the same." She sipped her tea, doubting there was any point in listing them or for that matter even singing them. She had not heard of the songs sung by the other cadets till training and she supposed they probably never heard of the songs she knew either.

"Sometimes you have to follow your dreams even if it means leaving hearth and home." Kara said soothingly, briefly wondering if her own life and goals might have been any different if she had a family, a blood related family. She supposed that it would be, but she had the military family, especially her squad, a ragtag bunch of misfits who all planned on the Survey Corps when training was over with.

She shrugged her shoulders. "It's okay... It was simply how things were back then. They are different now." The barracks were a lot warmer from Kara's perspective and living in the cold probably helped harden her to some degree. Though maybe that was just speculation and seeking some form of justification for what had been her home. "They are indeed. I like the boots best." She said glancing down at her brown leather boots. "These are pretty awesome."

Kara looked up at Mina's words and seemed uncertain what to say for a long moment, indecision filled her eyes before she finally spoke. "I cannot deny who I am or my beliefs, I respect those who believe differently. I just wish..." She shook her head sadly and sipped her tea. "It doesn't matter." Kara said reluctant to discuss the topic further, better to let it drop, Kara's faith was important to her and she believed so long as she did not force it on anyone they should be fine with it. Besides, the cadets had more important concerns to worry about than matters of religious nature. "It is more important we worry about the Titans... And perhaps more important than that pass the next equipment inspection." She shuddered at the thought of the inspection. "If any one of us fails it is death by press ups." Or so the instructors had threatened to do.

"Me too." Kara said with a smile. "It has helped make a few friends even if they think I am funny." Honestly Kara liked making friends with the other cadets, it was interesting to hear how others lived, about their families and what life away from the Church was actually like. "It's not too difficult once you know what you are doing... It's all about balance and flexibility."

Tags:

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Dalton Lightbody: Reply for Kilian! [link]
    November 16, 2020, 12:42:30 PM
  • Hilda Meissner: Reply for Mara! [link]
    November 14, 2020, 09:59:19 PM
  • Laria Rockfield: Reply for Utopia's Team Seven! [link]
    November 06, 2020, 10:03:42 PM
  • Dalton Lightbody: Reply for Kilian! [link]
    November 05, 2020, 03:36:10 PM
  • Puffin: Site Update #07 is here! [link]
    November 02, 2020, 04:39:39 PM
  • Puffin: There has been an update to the rules, be sure to take a look. [link]
    November 02, 2020, 12:32:41 PM
  • Puffin: Roll Call #15 is live! [link]
    November 02, 2020, 12:13:27 AM
  • Tamsin Spiegel: Tamsin for Hugh! [link]
    October 24, 2020, 11:52:48 PM
  • Puffin: New staff announcement! A big thank you to Gehrig and to everyone who put themselves forward. ♡ [link]
    October 24, 2020, 02:00:50 PM
  • Petra Ral: Michelle for the Garrison/team six (Utopia) [link]
    October 21, 2020, 04:13:24 PM

* Credits

Site banner, advert image and affiliate button created by Moon Child

Reluctant Heroes is in no way affiliated with Shingeki no Kyojin, Attack on Titan or Funimation and we give full credit to Hajime Isayama. Copyrights and trademarks for the manga and anime are held by their respective owners while all original content remains the property of the individual writers and artists.

We are grateful to former staff member Artsy for her creative input.