* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 119
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Wanted

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Quiet: Happy Tuesday everyone! Hope everyone is staying safe! :-)
    September 15, 2020, 01:24:15 PM
  • Quiet: Looks like we are getting an Oluo! That is wonderful to see!
    September 10, 2020, 11:34:41 PM
  • Puffin: I hope everyone is having a good week so far.  Not long now until the weekend! <3
    September 10, 2020, 10:27:20 PM
  • Quiet: Morning y'all! Or afternoon or evening! Whatever it is where you are. :-)
    September 08, 2020, 02:01:52 PM
  • Quiet: As good as to be expected!
    September 06, 2020, 10:12:24 PM
  • Puffin: Hey Quiet! <3 Holding up okay here, thanks. How are you? I'm glad Mrs. Carolina would be happy to know her cookies were a big hit! :)
    September 06, 2020, 10:11:23 PM
  • Quiet: Hows everyone doing?
    September 06, 2020, 03:28:28 PM
  • Petra Ral: hello
    September 04, 2020, 07:32:26 PM
  • Quiet: I think Mrs. Carolina would be happy to know Annie liked the cookies!
    September 02, 2020, 11:50:29 PM
  • Razahir Kōri: Howdy! Sorry for my absence! I didn't disappear guys! :) I try to get to everyone either tomorrow or throughout next week! That is a promise! ^^
    August 29, 2020, 07:52:06 PM
  • Puffin: The weekend is almost here! <3
    August 28, 2020, 08:24:31 AM
  • Badtz-Milk: LOL
    August 17, 2020, 02:07:21 AM
  • Badtz-Milk: need tow work on my slepe schedule took a 4 hour nap this evening so i won't sleep tonight i guess
    August 17, 2020, 02:07:18 AM
  • Quiet: Happy Sunday y'all!
    August 16, 2020, 07:29:42 PM
  • the dear hunter.: happy saturday! ♥
    August 15, 2020, 02:58:36 PM
  • Quiet: Why am I just noticing the Plot Prompts post? The Garrison ones are top notch!
    August 14, 2020, 10:30:16 PM
  • HiddenBaroness: It's Friday! Hope everyone's had a great week! <3
    August 14, 2020, 05:44:08 PM
  • Quiet: Happy end of Wednesday and hope everyone has a wonderful Thursday!
    August 13, 2020, 02:26:11 AM
  • the dear hunter.: and happy wednesday, folks <3
    August 13, 2020, 01:09:35 AM
  • the dear hunter.: congrats jem!! bask in your success!!
    August 13, 2020, 01:09:22 AM

* Directories

RPG-DRPG Initiative

Author Topic: [OPEN] A Question of Faith  (Read 116 times)

A Question of Faith
« on: July 05, 2020, 08:26:05 PM »
Winter 845

It was midmorning, the air cold and sharp, a thin layer of snow lay on the frozen ground as a weak sun vainly struggled to provided the land with some warmth. Most cadets were inside, sheltered from the cold. Warm, secure, content. Not so for Kara Brooks, nay she could not, her prayers must be completed, her faith provided her body with the heat she needed to endure. Faith was all that mattered, it did not matter if it was in the Walls, in one's self or in victory, faith was something pure... It was divine.

She knelt on the frigid ground in front of an oak tree, leafless in the wind. Her head was lowered, her eyes closed, hands clasped in prayer, tightly gripping the icon of her faith, a symbol of the Church of Walls on a pedant in her hands. Kara prayed aloud, she always did, always had. There were many who disliked her faith, but she never forced her beliefs on anyone. Never asked any to join her in prayer, never asked if anyone wished to discuss the Goddesses.

"From the lightning and the tempest, Our Goddesses, deliver us." Her words were clearly audible, her voice confident, filled with conviction. "From plague, deceit, temptation and Titans, Our Goddesses, deliver us. From the scourge of the Abnormal, Our Goddesses, deliver us. From the blasphemy of the Titans, Our Goddesses, deliver us. From the begetting of Armoured and Colossal Titans, Our Goddesses, deliver us. From the curse of the Titan, Our Goddesses, deliver us." For as long as Kara knew, there had always been the Church, the Goddesses were there for her, they guided her, protected her, just as they guided and protected even those who did not believe in them. "That thou wouldst bring them only death. That thou shouldst spare none. That thou shouldst pardon none. I beseech thee Goddesses, destroy the Titan." Kara seemed to possess an endless supply of prayers and scripture. Rare were the days she did not mutter these during a difficult exercise or march.

"Goddesses hear my prayer, guide us, protect us, aid us in defending your realm, aid us in reclaiming your most holy Wall. Protect us all." She fell silent, but remained in the position of prayer, letting the act of worship relax her body, clear her mind and cleanse her soul.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 08:47:21 PM by Kara Brooks »

Re: A Question of Faith
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 01:10:09 AM »
Mina was cold. Her feet crunched on the thin layer of snow and she was blowing rings with her foggy breath. Her father would do that with his pipe smoke. She missed her father, mother, little siblings and everyone back home. But she was here now and Mina was trying to make the best of it.

She had a few friends had been playing on a patch of ice - sliding around, pushing each other, and having a laugh. It was good to let off some steam and have some fun.

Now she was heading back to the girl's bunk. She had some work to finish and she wanted to get warmed up. Tucking her chin down into her scarf, Mina walked along, humming softly to herself. Out of the corner of her eye, Mina saw something that...confused her. A girl...Mina was pretty sure her name was Kara...was kneeling on the ground. She seemed to be talking to herself though Mina could not make out what she was saying.

Mina watched for a moment longer before approaching - stopping a few feet away before speaking up, "Kara right? You okay there?"

“Kindness begins with the understanding that we all struggle.”

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 05:37:18 AM »
 A voice interrupted Kara from her thoughts, returning her focus to the real world and reality around her. It was probably time she sought shelter inside and warmed up, her body sending signals that it happened to be very cold. There would be no purpose in making herself sick due to the cold. She stood up, letting go of her pendants and cupping her palms before blowing warm air into her hands and rubbing them together in an attempt to get some heat back into them. Kara turned and offered the other girl a friendly smile. It was Mina? "Yeah that is correct. I'm fine thank you, I was just finishing my prayers." Kara knew that others found her faith uncomfortable and thus her to be, thus making it an awkward topic of conversation when it came up.

Kara never forced her faith upon everyone but the Church as a whole had a negative reputation with the military. For one they refused to allow for there to be rails and cannons on the most sacred Walls. Something which Kara found to be confusing, surely to allow for humanity to be destroyed and the Walls defiled by the Titans was far worse? She feared that everyone here thought her to be just like some of the more extreme preachers, all fire and brimstone to anyone who disagreed with them. Despite being raised by the Church, she had never gotten on with members who were like that. "How are you?" She asked kindly.

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 09:38:54 PM »
"Yeah that is correct. I'm fine thank you, I was just finishing my prayers."

Prayers? Mina raised her brows a little and nodded. "Oh. Okay. I just wanted to make sure you were okay. It's pretty cold out and you were just...kneeling there." There was no malice in her voice, just confusion. Mina had never known anyone religious - that she knew of - and while Mina thought people had a right to their beliefs - it was just not something she could wrap her mind around. Each to their own though. She'did not know Kara well, but she'd never seen the girl be pushy with her beliefs.

"How are you?"

"I'm good," Mina said with a small smile. She was. Classes and training were going well enough, she had some good friends, life was pretty solid for her.

"How are things with you?" Mina asked. The snow was starting to come down a little harder. It looked pretty falling from the sky. "Classes going alright?"

“Kindness begins with the understanding that we all struggle.”

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 10:18:22 PM »
 So far Kara had not found anyone else in the 104th who shared her faith. It was just like the priests had warned her about, the military did not normally attract the religiously minded. Not that she minded that fact, everyone was different and everyone believed in something, even if that faith was nothing at all. From what she had gathered, there was a stigma of sorts as the Church had held up the fortification of the Walls against any further Titan attacks.
Kara also believed that the Walls should be fortified further, something the Church disapproved of greatly. Indeed, her adopted father, a priest by trade and nature disagreed with the military's defilement of the sacred Wall. But from Kara's perspective, it made sense to defend the Walls rather than let Wall Rose suffer desecration at the hands of the Titan? Human lives were at risk, faith though a mighty weapon by itself was nothing without firepower or blades to back it up.

"Thank you that was kind of you. But I am fine." Kara replied with a friendly smile, she was right about the cold and it was kind of the other girl to care enough to ask. "I did not want to upset the other girls... Many do not share my faith in the Goddesses and the Church has done little to earn the respect of the military." Kara did not sound sad, more weary that some chose to dislike her over one aspect of her personality. She never understood why, she never forced her faith on others, sure she prayed, she read the holy book, but never preached to the others, never hounded them about it. Heck, unless asked she did not bring it up in conversation, yet still there were some who discriminated against her because of it. The words of her adopted father filtered into her mind. "It will not be easy to keep faith in faithless company." But Kara had gone anyway, her goal was to reclaim Wall Maria, reclaim the lost lands of humanity and reclaim the fallen holy Wall from the Titans.

"Glad to hear." She replied, glancing up at the snowy sky as the flakes began to fall in ever increasing numbers. "I am good too." Kara decided after a few moments of hesitating. There was no point in mentioning that at times she felt ostracized from many of the other soldiers because of her faith, they thought her to be some raving fanatic that sadly some of the priests were. Still she had made some friends and for the most part few minded her prayers. She suspected a handful even secretly enjoyed them knowing that at least with Kara around, the deities would be on their side.

"No I still cannot hit the targets with the rifles." Kara admitted, it was no secret.  Heck, thanks to an instructor, Kara had the unfortunate nickname of Try, for Try Again Kara. She had not even come close to hitting a target yet. No matter what she tried, extra practice, getting advice from instructors and cadets who were good shots... Nothing worked. She guessed that she should have hit the target even by accident. But no, not a single recorded hit. "Do you want to go inside? We can get a hot drink or warm up by a heater?" Kara suggested, feeling herself starting to shiver.

Tags:

* Tagbox

Refresh History

* Credits

Site banner, advert image and affiliate button created by Moon Child

Reluctant Heroes is in no way affiliated with Shingeki no Kyojin, Attack on Titan or Funimation and we give full credit to Hajime Isayama. Copyrights and trademarks for the manga and anime are held by their respective owners while all original content remains the property of the individual writers and artists.

We are grateful to former staff member Artsy for her creative input.