* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Puffin: I hope everyone is having a good weekend so far! ^^
    October 24, 2020, 06:14:05 PM
  • Quiet: And Kenny!  :D
    October 21, 2020, 01:17:46 AM
  • Quiet: Hi Lingwasta! Welcome to RH!
    October 21, 2020, 12:56:07 AM
  • Quiet: But yeah I think Fergus will be interesting to write once he gets in the game. :-)
    October 18, 2020, 01:48:13 AM
  • Quiet: I was proud of that lol!
    October 17, 2020, 11:58:44 PM
  • Puffin: Love Colin Morgan for Fergus Hardt, Quiet!  And I thoroughly enjoyed the GIF of him munching in his application. :D
    October 17, 2020, 11:40:51 PM
  • Puffin: Miri deserves all the hugs!
    October 17, 2020, 11:40:37 PM
  • Quiet: Miri got a hug! Blessed moment!
    October 17, 2020, 11:23:14 PM
  • Puffin: You too, Quiet! <3 I can't believe the weekend is here already, this week passed so quickly.
    October 16, 2020, 11:42:07 PM
  • Quiet: Hope everyone is having a good Friday and is heading into a relaxing weekend!
    October 16, 2020, 06:52:25 PM
  • Quiet: Happy Birthday Erwin!  ^^
    October 14, 2020, 01:22:27 PM
  • Quiet: I think she would be a fun and very interesting character to write!
    October 10, 2020, 12:42:38 AM
  • Unshaken: Hey Quiet! I am, yeah.  Thank you, i hope I do well in portraying her.
    October 10, 2020, 12:33:05 AM
  • Quiet: Hey Unshaken! You're taking Hange? That is great! You're going to do awesome!
    October 10, 2020, 12:08:21 AM
  • Quiet: Greetings from the good old USA everyone. Hope things are as well as possible wherever you are. :-)
    October 09, 2020, 10:14:14 PM
  • Puffin: I hope you're staying safe too, Quiet!  And that everyone is having a relaxing weekend so far. <3
    September 26, 2020, 09:32:21 PM
  • Quiet: Happy Tuesday everyone! Hope everyone is staying safe! :-)
    September 15, 2020, 01:24:15 PM
  • Quiet: Looks like we are getting an Oluo! That is wonderful to see!
    September 10, 2020, 11:34:41 PM
  • Puffin: I hope everyone is having a good week so far.  Not long now until the weekend! <3
    September 10, 2020, 10:27:20 PM
  • Quiet: Morning y'all! Or afternoon or evening! Whatever it is where you are. :-)
    September 08, 2020, 02:01:52 PM

* Directories

RPG-DRPG Initiative

Author Topic: [OPEN] A Question of Faith  (Read 488 times)

Re: A Question of Faith
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 04:11:13 PM »
"They are indeed. I like the boots best. These are pretty awesome."

Mina had to agree about the boots. They were probably the most sturdy footwear she have ever owned. She had to take the time to hem all over her pants, but she was used to that. Mina had never been tall and while she still held out some hope to grow a few more inches - she was not holding her breath.

"I cannot deny who I am or my beliefs, I respect those who believe differently. I just wish..."

"I don't think anyone is asking you to deny anything," Mina said - she hoped kindly. "But the Church has not done much to make people like them. That I have seen." She was not trying to be rude. She really was not. But she was uncomfortable.

"It is more important we worry about the Titans... And perhaps more important than that pass the next equipment inspection. If any one of us fails it is death by press ups."

Mina had to half groan and half laugh at that, "Don't mention push-ups. I'm still recovering from my last thirty." Mina shook her head, "My leg straps were loose. Thirty push-ups." It got the point across though. She triple checked everything now.

"It's not too difficult once you know what you are doing... It's all about balance and flexibility."

All Mina could do was nod at that. She was comfortable with the 3DM gear now - and more than competent. But she had needed to really work hard to get where she was.

Mina looked at her tea for a moment, "What did your dad think about you joining?"

“Kindness begins with the understanding that we all struggle.”

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 05:00:10 PM »
 At Mina's response, it was all Kara could do but to nod sadly and let out a quiet sad sigh, her eyes sympathetic. "I agree. Taking my faith aside for the moment the Walls should be fortified to protect them and more importantly those who live behind those Walls." Kara's own view on that subject was in her opinion simple. Yes the Walls were sacred and in an ideal world humanity would not have to tamper with such divine structures. But this was not the ideal world and the Titans had proven themselves able to breach these most holy barriers, therefore in order to defend humanity and the holy Walls... Cannons and rails needed to be installed in greater number. However, that view of her's was not shared within the Church, the same Church that did much to delay the military from reinforcing the Walls. It was no wonder when the religious Kara climbed out of the wagon, clad in the simple attire of someone devoted to the Church and the icon of the Walls around her neck... There were those who took an instant dislike to her, using her perhaps as a lightning rod for their issues with the Church.

"You were lucky." Kara said with a small chuckle. "I dropped my rifle on parade. I got fifty push ups." She suspected that there would have been more coming her way, but only the increasingly heavy downpour saved her from an increased number. It was probably a case of punish her and risk everyone catching a chill or cold. Not her finest hour that.

Kara did not answer and avoided looking at her friend as she took a sip of her tea. It was a difficult one to answer without offending Mina and the rest of the soldiers. She took a deep breath and said quietly. "Would you like my honest answer? As... It's incredibly insulting to you, me and anyone else who wears a uniform." She tried and failed to smile, but those were his words.

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 04:20:51 PM »
"I agree. Taking my faith aside for the moment the Walls should be fortified to protect them and more importantly those who live behind those Walls."

If you asked Mina, the Wall needed more fortification. More teams of soldiers, more cannons, more everything. Anything that could be done to protect the people should be done.  So she and Kara had something they appeared to agree on. Mina gave a nod, "The people are what is really important."

"You were lucky. I dropped my rifle on parade. I got fifty push ups."

While thirty pushups did not make Mina feel at all lucky - fifty was...oof. "Ouch. That stinks. Fifty. Yikes." She shook her head. She would not miss pushups.

"Would you like my honest answer? As... It's incredibly insulting to you, me and anyone else who wears a uniform."

That was enough to whip Mina's head around and she looked at Kara for a look. "Heard and understood," Mina said as she held a hand up. "That's...rough." It really was. "That must be hard. Not having your family supporting you." Mina's parents were okay with her joining the military - but when she told them she was going for the Survey Corps - they had made their displeasure know. They were scared. Not mad or disapointed. But just very scared.

"But hey - you're here. You're doing what you want. And I think you'll be a good soldier when you get out there."

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2020, 05:55:52 PM »
"Exactly." Kara said. "Leaving the Walls untouched by rail and cannon is pointless if the Titans can punch through and repeat the fall of Wall Maria again." She did not believe that faith alone would keep the Walls safe, faith did not prevent Wall Maria. God and the Goddesses answered the prayers of humanity, they had the Walls as proof, but also cannons and the ODM gear. If the Gods could not directly join the battle, then they gifted humanity with the means to defend themselves. It seemed foolhardy and stubborn to simply refuse to fortify the Walls when the enemy did not care that they were holy objects. Faith was a powerful weapon by itself and could over turn the universe, but faith alone did not guarantee success or victory. It did however give people hope.

"Yeah I cannot hit the target but the ground with the rifle..." She gave a pained smile. "I am never dropping that thing again." But she suspected that there would be more press ups to come in their lives, there was always something that they could be failed upon. A leather strap not polished, a loose button or clasp, rusty gear, dirty gear, equipment not lined up correctly etc etc, the list went on, it was merely reducing the chance of press ups.

"Yeah..." She said quietly, sounding quite sad about it. The incident had led to long and loud row between the two. "It is what it is I am afraid..." She sipped her tea again and managed to force a smile. "But I cannot hide behind Walls and pray that things change. I am going to reclaim the Wall like I promised." She left out the or die in the attempt part.
"Thanks Mina." Kara said managing to look at her friend. "That means a lot to hear."

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2020, 12:26:02 AM »
"Leaving the Walls untouched by rail and cannon is pointless if the Titans can punch through and repeat the fall of Wall Maria again."

While Mina was still very unsure of Kara, she would always give credit where credit was due. What Kara said made sense. And if something was important, it made sense to protect it. The Walls were important and the cannons, rails, and soldiers protected them. "Let's hope that does not happen."

"Yeah I cannot hit the target but the ground with the rifle...I am never dropping that thing again."

Mina had to smile at that. She'd certainly double check her legstraps from now on. Mina was nearly done with her tea at this point. She took the last bite of her cookie and gulped her tea.  "I guess they have to get us ready somehow. Can't make mistakes once we're out of training."

"It is what it is I am afraid..."

"I'm sure he'll come around eventually. And if not then he is really missing out." Mina was trying to be kind. She really did not know what to say. But she could tell that this upset Kara. And it would be hard to not have some sort of support back home.

"But I cannot hide behind Walls and pray that things change. I am going to reclaim the Wall like I promised."

Just you, Mina almost asked, but bit her tongue. "It's good you're doing what you believe is right," she said instead.

"That means a lot to hear."

Mina smiled and handed Kara the teacup back, "Thank you for the tea." Mina stood up and brushed a few crumbs off her pants. "Kara. I really do think the Corps will be lucky to have you. Even if your dad doesn't think so."

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2020, 04:13:11 PM »
 If the Titans had managed to breach through the Walls once, they could do so again. The century of peace and safety brought about by the Walls had left humanity vulnerable to a surprise attack. They were preparing as best they could for when the enemy attacked again for surely it was a matter of when... Not if they attacked again. "I pray that it does not." If they lost another Wall... The loss of life would make the fall of Wall Maria look like a bar fight in comparison. Humanity could not retreat for it had no where to run to, no where for them to fall back in safety to lands which the Titans could not follow. Even if they hid behind Wall Sina, they were but delaying the inevitable.

"Yeah make the mistakes now so we don't get ourselves or others injured." Kara did not want to be the reason why a comrade became hurt or worse. She smiled at her friend's kind words. "I hope you are right but I am not holding out much hope on him changing his opinion." But, that was life, people believed different things, people wanted different things. "He did not stop me though." So there was that, she finished her cookie, the rare treat just as incredible as the first one she ever had.

"Thanks, it is good that we are all here and are willing to fight." Though she wished the war orphans had different circumstances that led to their joining the military, preferably that they still had their families, homes and old lives... But taking back the Wall was the closest any of them might get to recovering what they lost to the Titans.

"You're welcome." Kara said, accepting the cup from Mina. "Thank you, are you still aiming for the Survey Corps?" She asked pausing to glance in Mina's cup at the tea leaves. Not that she could read them or believe that the future could be gleaned from them, more an odd character quirk than anything.

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2020, 06:04:47 PM »
If Kara could pray, then Mina would hope. Maybe, Mina mused to herself as she ran a hand through one of her pigtails, prayers and hope were same thing at their core.

"Yeah make the mistakes now so we don't get ourselves or others injured."

"Better to fall ten feet here and just land on the ground and not fall thirty feet out there and land in a Titan's mouth," Mina said with a nod. Once they were out there - beyond the Walls, there would really be no one to pick them up and brush them off. Mistakes were death.

"I hope you are right but I am not holding out much hope on him changing his opinion."

"His loss," Mina repeated. "And you are your own person. Do what you think is right." That last part was just something Mina had heard older people say. She was parroting it - but she hoped it made sense.

"Thanks, it is good that we are all here and are willing to fight."

Mina was silent for a moment, "I think we all have something worth fighting for." What each person was fighting for was up to them. But Mina did think everyone was here for a reason. Made the choice for a reason.

"Thank you, are you still aiming for the Survey Corps?"

"That is the plan," Mina said with a nod. Her stomach always dropped a little when she thought about it. But it also gave her a little thrill. Outside the Walls.

"I thought about the Garrison - but no. I want to see what out...there."

"Thank you again for the tea. It was nice talking to you Kara. I hope your instructor stops being an ass to you by the way."

Mina gave Kara another smile and nod before adding, "I have plenty of those cookies if you ever want more. Mom sends me dozens."

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2020, 06:32:56 PM »
 Kara nodded in agreement with that statement. "I think a Titan would spit me out, wouldn't like the taste." It was a bad joke, but amusing for how terrible it happened to be. Not that any Titan would spit out a human being once it got the poor soul in range of those jaws.

"Speak the truth even if your voice shakes." Kara said quietly, a quote her adopted father had been fond of and one she was too. Mina was right, it happened to be her life and she should do what she believed to be right. "You are right."

"We do." A goal, a cause, a reason to fight, they would be vital in driving back the Titans and reclaiming the lost regions and the fallen Wall. But that would be only the beginning, only the start, from the Wall, they could reclaim the world, liberate all the fallen cities, rebuild everything taken and destroyed by the Titans. But first... Wall Maria.

"Awesome." Kara had never doubted that she would join the Scouts, but it was always good to hear that her fellow cadets were planning on going to the Survey Corps as well. "I cannot blame you, I am curious about what is beyond the Wall too." Though for her, for Kara, faith drove her more than curiosity.
"You are very welcome and you too. Thanks, me too." Kara doubted it, she also doubted that she might even manage to come close to the target with her rifle. It seemed to be safer to stand where Kara happened to be aiming, rather than anywhere else. "That is very kind of you, you are always welcome any time you want tea." She gave Mina a grin.

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2020, 12:14:11 AM »
Mina gave Kara another smile and small nod and headed deeper into the girl's barracks. Her bunk was closer to the back.

Mina was, while not totally sold on Kara, happy to have spent some time talking to her. It was good to get to know her a little beyond the surface. There was a real person under all that religion and what Mina interpreted as attention seeking. Kara was actually very nice. That was good to know. Mina was a little ashamed that she had not given her a chance sooner. She wanted to be better than that.

At the very least Kara would be a familiar face in the Corps. That would be a comfort.

Hauling herself into her bunk, Mina pulled the book from under her pillow, and settled in. She could see the snow coming down faster and it looked like the wind had picked up. It had been a good day to drink some hot tea and have a nice chat. And Kara had been a very good person to do that with.

Wrapped on my side.  :)

Tags:

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Tamsin Spiegel: Tamsin for Hugh! [link]
    October 24, 2020, 11:52:48 PM
  • Puffin: New staff announcement! A big thank you to Gehrig and to everyone who put themselves forward. ♡ [link]
    October 24, 2020, 02:00:50 PM
  • Petra Ral: Michelle for the Garrison/team six (Utopia) [link]
    October 21, 2020, 04:13:24 PM
  • Quiet: Pixis for the Garrison (Utopia)!http://reluctant-heroes.com/index.php?topic=910.15
    October 20, 2020, 10:04:52 PM
  • Dalton Lightbody: Reply for Kilian! [link]
    October 20, 2020, 12:57:20 PM
  • Quiet: Rico for Ian! [link]
    October 20, 2020, 03:40:51 AM
  • Ian Dietrich: Reply for Rico! [link]
    October 19, 2020, 09:54:14 PM
  • Floch Forster: Floch for Miri [link]
    October 17, 2020, 10:51:35 PM
  • Quiet: Miri for Floch :-) [link]
    October 17, 2020, 08:44:07 PM
  • Quiet: Plotter for Fergus is up :-) [link]
    October 17, 2020, 02:37:37 PM

* Credits

Site banner, advert image and affiliate button created by Moon Child

Reluctant Heroes is in no way affiliated with Shingeki no Kyojin, Attack on Titan or Funimation and we give full credit to Hajime Isayama. Copyrights and trademarks for the manga and anime are held by their respective owners while all original content remains the property of the individual writers and artists.

We are grateful to former staff member Artsy for her creative input.