* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Puffin: I hope everyone is having a good weekend so far! ^^
    October 24, 2020, 06:14:05 PM
  • Quiet: And Kenny!  :D
    October 21, 2020, 01:17:46 AM
  • Quiet: Hi Lingwasta! Welcome to RH!
    October 21, 2020, 12:56:07 AM
  • Quiet: But yeah I think Fergus will be interesting to write once he gets in the game. :-)
    October 18, 2020, 01:48:13 AM
  • Quiet: I was proud of that lol!
    October 17, 2020, 11:58:44 PM
  • Puffin: Love Colin Morgan for Fergus Hardt, Quiet!  And I thoroughly enjoyed the GIF of him munching in his application. :D
    October 17, 2020, 11:40:51 PM
  • Puffin: Miri deserves all the hugs!
    October 17, 2020, 11:40:37 PM
  • Quiet: Miri got a hug! Blessed moment!
    October 17, 2020, 11:23:14 PM
  • Puffin: You too, Quiet! <3 I can't believe the weekend is here already, this week passed so quickly.
    October 16, 2020, 11:42:07 PM
  • Quiet: Hope everyone is having a good Friday and is heading into a relaxing weekend!
    October 16, 2020, 06:52:25 PM
  • Quiet: Happy Birthday Erwin!  ^^
    October 14, 2020, 01:22:27 PM
  • Quiet: I think she would be a fun and very interesting character to write!
    October 10, 2020, 12:42:38 AM
  • Unshaken: Hey Quiet! I am, yeah.  Thank you, i hope I do well in portraying her.
    October 10, 2020, 12:33:05 AM
  • Quiet: Hey Unshaken! You're taking Hange? That is great! You're going to do awesome!
    October 10, 2020, 12:08:21 AM
  • Quiet: Greetings from the good old USA everyone. Hope things are as well as possible wherever you are. :-)
    October 09, 2020, 10:14:14 PM
  • Puffin: I hope you're staying safe too, Quiet!  And that everyone is having a relaxing weekend so far. <3
    September 26, 2020, 09:32:21 PM
  • Quiet: Happy Tuesday everyone! Hope everyone is staying safe! :-)
    September 15, 2020, 01:24:15 PM
  • Quiet: Looks like we are getting an Oluo! That is wonderful to see!
    September 10, 2020, 11:34:41 PM
  • Puffin: I hope everyone is having a good week so far.  Not long now until the weekend! <3
    September 10, 2020, 10:27:20 PM
  • Quiet: Morning y'all! Or afternoon or evening! Whatever it is where you are. :-)
    September 08, 2020, 02:01:52 PM

* Directories

RPG-DRPG Initiative

Author Topic: [OPEN] Staying Alive (POST UTOPIA/OPEN)  (Read 428 times)

Re: Staying Alive (POST UTOPIA/OPEN)
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 01:19:09 AM »
A faint laugh left Floch at Michelle's question. Was she serious in asking that? Compared to going up against titans and potentially dying, she had an easy job doing paperwork. "Well, for one, I don't think there's any life threatening risks doing paperwork." He said with a smile. Stressful perhaps. But not dangerous. "Or, uhm...I don't know. I'm sure there's some soldiers here who would love to talk your ear off." He said with a smirk. He knew Miri enjoyed chatting, but he didn't mind the older woman's company. Michelle wasn't bad either.

Floch nodded at her smile, looking ahead as the walked. "It's the least I can do." Floch said, shrugging a bit. His steps had slowed at her question, noticing her blush in the corner of his eyes. It seemed a simple enough question, why was she embarrassed? Floch scoffed and smirked a bit.

"Sure, I'd like that." He said after a moment. Having a nice relaxing moment and just drinking tea didn't sound too horrible. "Though with the way you're blushing you make it seem like you asked me out on a date." He said teasingly. He didn't seem too bothered though, keeping his gaze ahead.

He is so faithless
All he once embraced
He now disowns

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 02:12:45 PM »
 Michelle shook her head at him and his laughter. "Well... No not to the one doing the paperwork but... But if you make a mistake, if supplies are insufficient or sent the wrong place lives could be lost." She listened to him explain and nodded. "Ah I see." There were always those who wanted a conversation, though admittedly since the victory, conversations had been strained. Too many faces were gone, vanished, never to return. The Titans had done significant damage to the regiment. The decision to commit many of the support staff to the battle, though the correct one served only to prove the truly desperate nature of the clash. Sadly, many of those soldiers were sub par at best, their inexperience and lack of skill resulted in a high rate of loss.

"Thanks anyway." Michelle said, it might not have been much to him, but it meant something to her.

"Oh cool." She replied with a small nervous smile. At his teasing comment, the petite woman turned bright red. "What? No no no... I... I... It's not... I mean I'm not asking you on a date... I... I just thought... Well it might be nice." Michelle was far too nervous and flighty to ask someone out on a date. Besides, if she ever went on one she suspected her brother would swoop in on whichever guy was brave enough or foolhardy enough to ask his sister out.

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 11:12:01 PM »
Floch had fallen silent at her words. Oh. Yeah, he never really considered what would happen if mistakes were made. Perhaps there was a danger to the paperwork. And if that was the case, maybe he wasn't the best suited for the job. Still, Michelle could make mistakes as well if she was overtired, so was she any more fit for this at the moment?

Floch glanced ahead, deciding not to voice his thoughts. He merely gave a faint nod at her thanks. He knew sometimes just having someone there meant something, but he wasn't exactly the greatest company. He honestly felt bad for her if she was enjoying his presence.

Upon seeing her face turn a bright red, he couldn't help but burst out into a laughter. He hadn't meant to make her so embarrassed, but then again, what he said would probably fluster anyone. He offered a smile to show he was joking. "Well, you've been nothing but great so far. But I'm not exactly ready for something like that." Floch said and looked ahead again. "If you'd like to still have tea one day though, I wouldn't mind doing so." He said.

He is so faithless
All he once embraced
He now disowns

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2020, 08:15:12 AM »
 Michelle flinched as if she had been struck at his laughter. She was too used to being treated poorly, firstly by her father and then later by her fellow cadets when she inevitably failed something or brought the wrath of an instructor down upon them all. The earlier years of her life had been not pleasant for her, even if she had been with her brother. Though he had been a star cadet, fantastic, brilliant... Michelle was lucky to even make it into the military. "Me neither." Michelle said quietly, she did not know what she wanted out of life, but as a soldier in the Garrison, she had time to think about such things... Those in the Scouts did not have that luxury. She managed to return his smile, but still looked uncertain, nervous.

"That would be nice... Especially after everything which had happened." Michelle agreed quietly. Whatever good news or times that could be enjoyed were greatly valued. They may have won the battle but Michelle found it difficult to imagine that the military would recover from this any time soon.
So many lives taken and all they had to show for it were ruins and funeral pyres, not exactly the great victory humanity needed in this war.

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 02:37:56 PM »
As soon as Floch had noticed her flinch, he instantly fell silent and stopped walking. A look of concern had crossed his face. He was used to flinching at sudden movements, but laughter? Had she been bullied or something? Maybe she too had problems at home and certain things had set  her off. Floch had moved a bit closer to Michelle, hesitating before gently setting a hand on her back.

"I'm sorry." He murmured, still looking pretty concerned. "That was rude of me. That won't happen again." He said softly. He glanced away, moving his hand away from her, not wanting to make her uncomfortable. He offered a soft smile and started walking again. "I'm sure you need a good long break after everything." He said.

He is so faithless
All he once embraced
He now disowns

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2020, 04:46:41 PM »
 Michelle flinched slightly when he touched her, more due to the unfamiliarity of the action rather than an adverse reaction on her part. It was comforting in it's way. Unfortunately, Michelle's life had been anything but pleasant despite growing up in the security of the interior. Her family were all excellent soldiers, military police no less and she was the first member of her illustrious family to fail to even qualify for such a position.
Her twin brother was an incredible soldier, truly one of humanity's greatest to ever take up arms. Michelle thought he would have chosen the Military Police, but he had rebelled and decided on the Scouts. Michelle could have followed her twin, but it was suicide for her to try the Survey Corps. The Garrison welcomed her and here at the very least Michelle found a place to call home, a chance for her to heal, be valued and come out of her nervous little shell.

"It is okay." Michelle said softly, he did not need to apologise. It was not her fault that most of her life till the Garrison sucked and she was used to being laughed at and or mocked for her endless failures. She managed to return his smile. "I think you need it too." Michelle, short as she was hurried to keep up with him.

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2020, 11:29:05 PM »
At Michelle's flinch, Floch gave the woman an apologetic look. He understood not being comfortable with physical contact. He was fine with it if he was the one who initiated it. But anything else either made him tense up or flinch. Seeing as how Michelle seemed to be the same, he would keep that in mind before reaching out to her again.

Floch offered a soft smile and shook his head. "It's not okay, I should have been considerate." Floch murmured. He was known to step out of line, but he was certainly trying to get better at considering others before speaking or acting. He seemed a bit shocked at her next words. He needed a break? He wasn't the one overworking himself. And he wasn't the one who was present at Utopia for the battle.

"I don't know if that's exactly true." Floch admitted, shrugging a bit. "You've been working a lot harder then I have. If anyone deserves a break, it's you." Floch said.

He is so faithless
All he once embraced
He now disowns

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2020, 03:19:46 PM »
"You didn't know though, you don't need to blame yourself or feel guilty." Michelle responded quietly, hoping he would not blame himself for what had happened. Had Michelle been her normal self she probably would have been hastily apologising and falling over herself. But exhausted as she was, this happened to be the best she could muster in response. The clerk was exhausted, worn out by the battle and the desperate war of paper being waged behind the front.

"Everyone deserves a break." Michelle countered, her argument unfortunately being a considerably weaker one than his own. "I have been working hard..." She admitted, not wanting to know the amount of forms she filled out for requests, reports she wrote, documents sent out, stamped, signed or given to those who requested it. The military loved it's paperwork and Michelle was perhaps among the few who could manage to deal with the red tape.

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2020, 04:54:32 PM »
Floch shrugged slightly at her words. It was true. He didn't know how she would react to any physical touch. Still, as someone who wasn't fond of physical touch either, he felt bad. He would just have to keep in mind that she probably wanted distance and would keep touch to a minimal.

Floch nodded a bit. "Sure, we all deserve a break. But I'd say some do more then others." Floch murmured. He wasn't the one working overtime with little rest. So he couldn't exactly start complaining. "I can tell. You look terrible." Floch murmured, but instantly winced at his words. Alright, that came out wrong. "I mean...you look nice. Really. Just...worn out." He said quickly, not wanting to offend her.

Floch shifted his gaze away from her, stopping once the two had entered the mess hall. Hopefully there was something here she could find to eat and drink. Seeing how hard she was working, she probably skipped breakfast entirely. So he would stay until he knew she was settled in.

He is so faithless
All he once embraced
He now disowns

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2020, 03:51:20 PM »
"Maybe." Michelle said quietly. "Maybe." But there was no way to take a break given the difficulties they faced. The lack of soldiers, the lack of trained soldiers, the vast numbers of those wounded or killed. Some of those capable of walking could return to work and help out as best they could in the recovery... But Michelle knew even if they enforced such a desperate strategy, it would fall far short of the number they required. Far too many soldiers went up with the pyres and others would never fight again, cripple in body or mind from the horrors of this most one sided war.

She winced at his words and had been about to argue when he corrected himself. "Thanks... I think? Just... Well... Not the best way to word it I suppose." But was there a right way to word such a thing? Hey you normally look beautiful but your so exhausted that you look terrible?

In the mess hall, Michelle secured for herself a portion of food, she was unsure of what it was, stew perhaps? Along with bread roll before grabbing hold of some coffee and seating herself at a table.
She did not feel hungry, but knew she needed to eat. So the petite woman started to pick at her meal, trying to eat some. It made her look like an exhausted fledgling bird, cute and tiny, something delicate and hard to imagine as a soldier.

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2020, 05:20:28 PM »
Floch merely offered her a small reassuring smile. He knew taking a break was easier said then done these days. Especially after the latest attack. Possibly every regiment aside from the Military Police was short staffed now. He was doing what he could to help the Garrison, but it wasn't much given there was still loads of work to do.

He noticed her wince and frowned softly. He hesitated a bit. "Sorry. I'm pretty shit when it comes to words." Floch murmured, though that was pretty obvious. "I didn't mean to offend you. I just...meant you looked tired is all." Floch said. Though who didn't look tired these days?

Once they were in the mess hall, Floch had stayed back a bit, allowing Michelle to get her own food. He made sure she was settled before making his way over to her. "You got everything you need?" he asked.

He is so faithless
All he once embraced
He now disowns

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2020, 09:56:09 AM »
"It's okay... I'm not good at talking to people either or being a soldier." She let out a quiet sigh, had things been different, had she been talented like her brother... Her life would have been vastly different. Sadly for her, Michelle's skills as a soldier were lacking in the extreme. Her survival was somewhat of a miracle, especially since most of her fellow clerks had been wiped out. "You did not and yeah I probably do." Michelle stared at the cup of coffee wondering if any of this would actually help her. Maybe she would be better off continuing to work, trying to bring organisation to the chaos.

She nodded at his question, taking a sip of the bitter drink. "I think so... Thanks." She gave him a smile, though it was small and tired as if now she sat down, the exhaustion she had been fighting against threatened to claim her.

Tags:

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Tamsin Spiegel: Tamsin for Hugh! [link]
    October 24, 2020, 11:52:48 PM
  • Puffin: New staff announcement! A big thank you to Gehrig and to everyone who put themselves forward. ♡ [link]
    October 24, 2020, 02:00:50 PM
  • Petra Ral: Michelle for the Garrison/team six (Utopia) [link]
    October 21, 2020, 04:13:24 PM
  • Quiet: Pixis for the Garrison (Utopia)!http://reluctant-heroes.com/index.php?topic=910.15
    October 20, 2020, 10:04:52 PM
  • Dalton Lightbody: Reply for Kilian! [link]
    October 20, 2020, 12:57:20 PM
  • Quiet: Rico for Ian! [link]
    October 20, 2020, 03:40:51 AM
  • Ian Dietrich: Reply for Rico! [link]
    October 19, 2020, 09:54:14 PM
  • Floch Forster: Floch for Miri [link]
    October 17, 2020, 10:51:35 PM
  • Quiet: Miri for Floch :-) [link]
    October 17, 2020, 08:44:07 PM
  • Quiet: Plotter for Fergus is up :-) [link]
    October 17, 2020, 02:37:37 PM

* Credits

Site banner, advert image and affiliate button created by Moon Child

Reluctant Heroes is in no way affiliated with Shingeki no Kyojin, Attack on Titan or Funimation and we give full credit to Hajime Isayama. Copyrights and trademarks for the manga and anime are held by their respective owners while all original content remains the property of the individual writers and artists.

We are grateful to former staff member Artsy for her creative input.