* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 27
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

* Wanted

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Webs: Plot away! And save a plot or two for me too! ;)
    Today at 12:17:58 AM
  • Quiet: I do my best! Thank you Webs!
    Today at 12:15:40 AM
  • Webs: yesss glad you got her done! You're fantastic, Quiet ^^
    Today at 12:09:59 AM
  • Quiet: Tis a Rico!
    Today at 12:05:17 AM
  • Webs: Is that a completed Rico I spy?
    October 22, 2019, 11:56:08 PM
  • Webs: yessss
    October 22, 2019, 06:55:24 PM
  • Puffin: I am so excited to see it, Quiet! :D
    October 22, 2019, 06:41:40 PM
  • Quiet: I'm getting Rico's bio done today come hell or high water!
    October 22, 2019, 06:38:17 PM
  • Puffin: Moblit is love. <3
    October 22, 2019, 05:49:38 PM
  • Webs: Just a note - we've brightened up the main font colour so it might look a little odd for a bit! Just trying to make it more legible, especially on darker screens and mobile devices!
    October 22, 2019, 12:48:30 PM
  • Webs: ahhh Armin! I can't wait to see him <3 sending all the strength your way!
    October 22, 2019, 12:10:24 AM
  • the dear hunter.: god give me strength to finish armin's bio!!!!
    October 21, 2019, 11:49:58 PM
  • Mina Carolina: LOL. When the popped up on my feed I was like...oh yeah.
    October 21, 2019, 09:38:11 PM
  • Webs: Quiet those rose cupcakes - definitely for a Garrison party!
    October 21, 2019, 08:30:39 PM
  • Nanaba: yay Quiet posties
    October 21, 2019, 03:18:38 PM
  • Puffin: Ooh, Quiet posts! <3
    October 21, 2019, 02:04:46 PM
  • Webs: Morning :) Hope you're having a great day!
    October 21, 2019, 01:50:23 PM
  • Webs: Ooh fantastic!
    October 21, 2019, 01:50:15 PM
  • Quiet: Morning all! I'm going to get the Mina/Bert thread out later tonight and hopefully answer Pixis to the Utopia thread.
    October 21, 2019, 01:04:36 PM
  • Nanaba: I have to try to remember my tumblr login...I lost it. :(
    October 21, 2019, 01:41:48 AM

* Directories

RPG-DRPG Initiative

Author Topic: Colours in the sky. [Dalton]  (Read 1245 times)

Colours in the sky. [Dalton]
« on: January 03, 2018, 01:46:39 AM »
Browsing the stalls set up for the Festival of Lights, Mara stopped at one in order to pick out a hand-knitted scarf, plain blue but more beautiful in colour than any scarf she'd set eyes on before. Her eyes softened as she held the fabric close to her cheek, warmth emanating as she stroked it against cold skin. Exchanging money for it, she smiled in thanks to the vendor.

The brunette wrapped the scarf around her neck twice, tucking it in so that her neck would remain warm in the winter cold. With gloves defending her hands and a thin jacket, she still felt the chill though her constant shivering stopped. She had little money to spare on things for herself, refusing to take any more money but the coins she'd come to the training corps with, and this gift to herself reminded her of childhood. Once, she'd hoarded all she could buy, and even though her eyes still darted between stalls, picking out possible trinkets, she summoned all her willpower not to buy anything else.

It was difficult. Determined to find a distraction, she walked away and found herself at one of the decorated trees, glass jars patterning its leafless branches with so many colours. Blue attracted her the most, and she wondered how anybody could turn their back on such a place and not be enchanted by the beauty of a thousand colours painting the night. « Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 02:13:52 PM by Mara Sonnenschein »

Re: Colours in the sky. [Open]
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 10:43:45 AM »
This place was beautiful.  Even without the lights, or the music, or the low murmur of joyous conversations, there was something inherently magical about the place.  The lake was colossal, stretching as far as Dalton could see in the darkness.  It almost frightened him as he stood on the banks, staring out across the sheet of ice.  What must it be like during the storms of autumn?  Did the water whip up into a fury, with spray pattering against the windows of those houses built close to the shore?  And just how deep and cold did the water run?

Not realising he had been holding his breath, the boy from Trost exhaled slowly, and tucked his chin behind the thick, moss-green scarf wrapped around his neck.  With gloved hands stuffed into his coat pockets, he turned away from the vast body of water, and walked through the ethereal streets.  He delighted in the stalls and stands that greeted his eyes, in the scents of pine and spice that tickled his nose.  A cheerful charm vendor seemed to be doing exceptionally good trade, with a short queue of cadets having formed.  They were on the cusp of their final year now, after all, and they needed all the luck they could get.

That was when he saw her, standing alone, a blue scarf draped around her neck, resting on her narrow shoulders.  Dalton changed his course, snow crunching softly beneath his boots as he came to stand beside her.  “It’s b-beautiful here, isn’t it?” Dalton murmured quietly, hoping to alert Mara to his presence without startling her.  His gaze, like her own, was turned upwards, kaleidoscopic colours captured and reflected in shades of springtime green.  From somewhere down on the ice, where people skated with varying degrees of skill and success, distant laughter bubbled up to greet their ears.  “Almost like a d-dream.”

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 02:02:37 AM »
Mara turned as she heard a voice, recognising quickly as Dalton's. She didn't feel she knew the boy awfully well, but she felt glad for the company. He was nice, and that was as important as anything else. A smile touched her lips as she faced him, having to slightly crane her neck, not that she minded.  It was okay to be shorter than others - Axel would say there were advantages to both sides, but she thought it just meant she didn't have to watch out for many branches or clotheslines.

"It's amazing," she breathed, her dark eyes lit up by the colours above, shining as she looked back at the lanterns. "I've never seen anything as beautiful as this." It wasn't much of a secret that she was captivated by shiny jewelry or sparkly items - she fell for them plenty, and it was great willpower that she wasn't browsing the stalls further. She only had one with her tonight, a butterfly brooch she'd bought during the initiation ceremony, pinned to her jacket.

The girl turned back to her companion. "It's freezing though. I thought about going on one of those carriage rides, but I thought I might turn into a block of ice if I went alone," she said. Holding up a hand, she breathed on it, watching a cloud of cold air touch her gloved fingers. "Maybe I already am turning into one," she joked, rubbing at her arms. An actual coat would have been a better idea, but she had been so desperate to get out and mingle that she'd forgotten one - and now she just felt like her spirit would warm her up enough. « Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:53:49 PM by Mara Sonnenschein »

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 02:20:14 PM »
A gentle smile danced on Dalton’s lips.  He was a dreamy sort of a fellow, he knew - his mother had told him so plenty of times throughout the years - and he had a tendency to appreciate the littlest of things.  While other cadets raced here and there, scarcely seeming to notice the twinkling lights, it was clear that Mara was just as enraptured with the finer details of the festivities as he was.  Perhaps, beneath their woollen scarves and chilled flesh, their souls were of a similar shade. 

As Mara spoke, Dalton’s expression softened, and he chuckled quietly.  “I d-don’t think Trost has ever b-been as cold as this.  I’m certainly glad they’ve put two b-blankets on our bunks.”  Tilting his head amicably, he offered the dark-eyed girl a smile.  “I’ll go with you, if you like - on a c-carriage ride?”  Save for his plans to peruse the stalls and pick out trinkets and charms for his younger brothers and sisters - little gifts that would be lovingly packaged and sent home with his next letter - he was content to see where the evening led.  And acquaintance though she was, Mara was always pleasant company.

Worried that the brunette was cold, concern coloured Dalton’s expression and stepped a little closer.  “Hey, you want my c-coat?  I have a jumper under this, and wh-what with my scarf and all…”  Wrapping up was a habit written into him by his parents who fretted, often needlessly, about any of their beloved brood catching a chill.  Three years down the line, even without his Mama and Papa to remind him, Dalton was always sure to pile on the layers - and he was more than happy to share them.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 12:06:28 AM »
Mara smiled, wondering how odd it was for the southernmost natives to contend with the cold. It couldn't be too different in temperature, but it must be noticeable still. Because it felt different for her too. "It gets very cold in Utopia," she mused, "but it's been so long that I'd forgotten quite how much." It was easy to forget, having been... a year and a half ago? So long. But she'd made so many great friends in that time, and that was the important part. Those were people she wanted to stay by the side of for years to come. Worth the sacrifice of leaving home, for certain.

Brightening up even further, she blinked at him. "You would?" Being by somebody would certainly make it warmer, and she really did want to see what it was like. It would be fun, and a different experience! "That would be great!" They could explore the forest trails, and get to see everything the festival had to offer them. Plus she'd be by the side of somebody so friendly that it warmed her heart.

Surprised at Dalton's sweet offer, especially on the admittance of being cold himself, she hesitated a moment. "Only if you're sure," she said carefully, not wanting him to sacrifice his own comfort. A spark settled in her eyes. "I'll give you a warm hug in return though, so you don't get too much colder! You were smart to wear plenty to stay as cosy as possible, after all - I can't take that away from you." She'd hate for anybody else to get even a little bit sick due to exposure to the cold, especially if she could stop them - which she happily would where possible.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 07:24:34 PM »
There was an innocence about Mara, an openness that was a rarity in a harsh, uncertain world. Her delight at his suggestion that they ride in a carriage together was unbridled and genuine, lighting up her whole face. Dalton couldn't help but smile widely in return, the corners of his green eyes crinkling. Even her hesitation was sincere, born out of a concern for his comfort.

"Please, I insist," Dalton reassured, surprised at the steadiness of his voice, having been confident that Mara's sweetness would have caused him to fumble even more than usual. While his stammer crept back in as he continued, it was clear he was slowly settling into their conversation, words gradually coming more easily. "I would n-never pass up on a hug." Truer words were never spoken by the affectionate, gentle boy from Trost.

It took a moment for Dalton to shrug off his coat but, once it was free, he held the garment up so Mara could easily slip it on. "Oh, I d-don't know about smart… more habit, one I can thank my m-mother for. At the first sign of frost, we are all bundled in layers - otherwise she is sure to b-bend our ears." He chuckled softly, fondly. "Out of love, of course."

Re: Colours in the sky. [Dalton]
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 02:13:12 PM »
That was all she needed to hug someone, but she waited patiently as he shrugged off the coat and handed it over. She slipped into it, one arm at a time, and immediately it felt like a warm hug surrounding her. Smiling, Mara nodded at his words and did up the coat to seal herself in, then wrapped her arms around him. She squeezed gently, holding it for a few moments before she pulled back, not wanting to overwhelm him at all.

"Thank you," Mara says gratefully, both for the coat and the hug. Of course she was giving it, but she was still appreciative for the opportunity. "Your mother sounds wonderful and caring. And it still sounds smart to me!" The nice clothes her parents would give her were all well and good, but often she picked them for how nice they looked rather than how well they'd serve her.

Thoughts of home stirred something of a gentle unease in her stomach. "Let's go to the carriages," she said excitedly, happy to focus more on that than think of Utopia again.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 02:14:07 PM by Mara Sonnenschein »

Tags:

* Tagbox

Refresh History

* Credits

Site banner, advert image and affiliate button created by Moon Child

Reluctant Heroes is in no way affiliated with Shingeki no Kyojin, Attack on Titan or Funimation and we give full credit to Hajime Isayama. Copyrights and trademarks for the manga and anime are held by their respective owners while all original content remains the property of the individual writers and artists.

We are grateful to former staff member Artsy for her creative input.