* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Jem: I promise I am not dead, just struggling
    May 03, 2021, 09:43:28 AM
  • Sora: *replies
    April 23, 2021, 07:16:54 PM
  • Sora: Finqlly! Reies coming tomorrow! Thank you for everyones patience! ^^
    April 23, 2021, 07:16:41 PM
  • HiddenBaroness: How's it going, folks?
    March 29, 2021, 07:14:51 PM
  • hangesglasses: hi hi one day late
    March 20, 2021, 02:59:21 AM
  • Lou: Hey hey
    March 18, 2021, 03:30:38 AM
  • Hono Kaen: beep
    March 11, 2021, 09:41:15 AM
  • Puffin: I love Lady Lara. <3
    February 13, 2021, 12:48:28 AM
  • Puffin: Hi Rhea! How are you?
    January 09, 2021, 11:39:03 AM
  • Rhea: Hi
    January 09, 2021, 12:55:29 AM
  • Hitch Dreyse: Hey hope everyone is doing okay
    December 09, 2020, 10:08:46 AM
  • HiddenBaroness: Hey Raze! Good to hear from you again! Don't worry, I think a few of us had RL things take over for a hot minute.
    November 30, 2020, 03:10:32 PM
  • Razahir Kōri: Howdy everyone! ^^ Soem of you may still remember me! :D I just want to write that I'm terribly sorry for disappearing for such a long time! IRL took it's tll on me in the past few months! Both my work and my MSc studies kinda things for me/ With that I would like to apologize to everyone I made wait! Starting next week I'm planning on catching up with all my replies! After that I'll be really slow till February, but I'll try to write at least every two weeks in case I receive replies! ^^ Again sorry everyone and I hope all of you are doing well! ^^ Sora
    November 22, 2020, 07:58:14 PM
  • Petra Ral: I am good thanks, you?
    November 22, 2020, 03:43:51 PM
  • Petra Ral: Hey Puffin! Sorry I did not see this xD
    November 22, 2020, 03:43:46 PM
  • Puffin: Mercy! <3  How are you?
    November 20, 2020, 09:23:37 PM
  • Petra Ral: Evening all
    November 19, 2020, 05:08:50 PM
  • Petra Ral: Hi!
    November 10, 2020, 02:50:53 PM
  • Puffin: How is it Sunday already?! I hope everyone is having a good weekend!
    November 08, 2020, 04:26:45 PM
  • Webs: Hi, Ramgami!! And hello to all guests :)
    November 04, 2020, 05:50:40 PM

* Directories

RPG-DRPG InitiativeRPGfixTop RP Sites

Author Topic: How Beautiful It Is [Hitch]  (Read 2502 times)

How Beautiful It Is [Hitch]
« on: December 20, 2020, 04:05:48 PM »
21st December 846

Today was a special day for the cadets. Tonight, they were given a small moment of peace and relaxation compared to their usual days of vigorous training. While Marlowe wasn't one for festivities, he had agreed to come to the Festival of Lights with Hitch. He had mostly agreed to get her to stop pestering him about it, but he couldn't deny, deep down he was pleased to have a night to spend with her.

Marlowe would have accompanied Hitch on the way there if she hadn't already left the barracks, so he had made his way to the lake on his own. Upon arriving, he had taken in the view of the various stalls that were lining the shores and the nearby village. The warm glow of the lanterns that lit up the area was a nice view to say the least.

Heading down to the village, Marlowe started wandering the streets, keeping his eyes open for any sign of Hitch. It seemed odd, agreeing to come with her. At a first glance, it was hard to tell that these two shared any form of friendship. Hitch was constantly seen teasing Marlowe or harassing him, but that was her own way of showing affection. If he was being honest, he rather disliked Hitch during their first year of training. But he had come around during their second year and had come to care for her. He considered her a friend, as annoying as she was sometimes.

Marlowe's gaze scanned the streets as he walked, his steps slowing once he spotted Hitch near a stall. No doubt she was eyeing up something to buy. Perhaps he should get her something. Letting out a small breath, Marlowe made his way to the smaller woman.

"There you are. I was beginning to think you got lost." Marlowe said, coming to stand beside her.

Re: How Beautiful It Is [Hitch]
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 04:48:18 PM »
 Hitch had been pleasantly surprised that Marlowe agreed to with her to the festival of lights. Of course, it took her a while to convince him to go. In a way, she understood his reluctance to go with her, in training they were not exactly the best of friends... Or perhaps more accurately friends at all. He had his dream in the MPs and so did Hitch, but they were going their for radically different reasons and at times the incompatibility of these caused a bit of friction. Not to mention it did not help matters much that she constantly made jokes, jibes, jabs and sarcastic remarks at his expense. Of course she knew the reason behind that, she liked Marlowe, despite everything and in spite of everything she did. But it was impossible for her to tell him that and besides... If she told him something so personal, he would probably laugh at her before saying no. Again they were not exactly friends, but somehow he agreed to come with her.

She hoped Marlowe considered her a friend, though Hitch knew that she rarely, if ever acted like one to him. Sure she was always reliable in training, but Hitch worked here to get into the Military Police. She was not here for some noble goal, for humanity, for the greater good of all or whatever other nonsense motivated her fellow cadets. Hitch stood here for herself and herself alone.
Marlowe happened to be attractive despite his more unique hair style, Hitch had noticed him on the first day of training. However, she had never felt like she managed to form a particularly close bond till the second year of training and even then... Well even then Hitch just spent most of her time using him as target practice. No one knew she liked him and Hitch intended to keep it that way. A lot of the cadets knew little about her if she was honest about it, Hitch disembled most things, keeping her secrets, thoughts and feelings to herself most of the time.

She left before Marlowe was ready to leave, arriving long before he came. Or at least that was how it seemed to Hitch, she was impatient for him to get here, assuming he decided to come at all. No doubt he was there furiously polishing his boots or ironing his uniform for tomorrow or... Something work related.
She kept herself occupied by wandering through the various stalls and stands, examining the goods they sold and the wares many tried to convince the passing cadet to buy. Hitch resisted however, most of it being way too much for her. Hitch halted examining a stand that sold various pins and assorted jewelry.

Hitch turned hearing the snow crunch beside her and glanced up to see Marlowe. "I was starting to think the same about you." She admitted. "Or that you weren't coming after all. Maybe polishing a boot or two." The words slipped out automatically and she mentally kicked herself for them. Why not a hello or a glad to see you? No she went straight to the snark. She sighed and hoped she had not ruined the day in one fell swoop. Fortunately the stall's owner finished serving a customer and swept in to aid them. "Ah hello! Hello!" He grinned, glancing from one to another of them. "Looking to get that special something for the lady my boy? I've got rings, necklaces, lockets, the perfect gift for your lovely girlfriend." Hitch could fell her cheeks turn red even before the owner finished his speech. She dared not glance at Marlowe, she had thought too soon that the trader might be able to distract Marlowe from her snarky comments. Out of the firing pan and straight into the fire.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 05:05:19 PM »
Marlowe stopped when Hitch looked up at him. A warm smile tugged at his lips, only for her to instantly give him one of her sly remarks. Marlowe's smile faltered for a brief moment. Part of him had hoped she would lay off the comments for the night, but that was just wishful thinking it seemed. He quickly replaced his smile and shook his head.

"No. If you must know, I was actually caught up looking for you." he replied honestly. He had spent a good half an hour searching the barracks for Hitch after he had finished getting ready only for him to find out from another cadet that she had already left. He had been disappointed, but he didn't let it show. He just wanted to have a nice relaxing night with her.

Marlowe glanced towards the stall owner when the man came over to them. He gave a slight nod at the greeting and said a soft hello back to the man. At the mention of Hitch being his girlfriend, he tensed up, well aware of the heat rising to his cheeks. His girlfriend? Marlowe's gaze flickered down to the smaller woman, remaining silent. Sure, he cared for her a great deal but...he didn't like her like that right?

"She's not my..." Marlowe trailed off, clearing his throat. What did it matter? They acted like an old married couple half the time. He was sure some of their fellow cadets thought they might be dating as well. Marlowe let out a quiet sigh, his gaze softening slightly as he looked Hitch over. He missed her birthday this year. He may as well get her something now to make it up to her.

"You see anything here you like?" Marlowe asked, looking towards the jewelry the vendor was selling. He still felt embarrassed about the whole situation, but he wouldn't deny her a small gift if she wanted.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 09:02:09 AM »
 He tried to look for her? Hitch was touched, but the pair had made no plans to go together other than Hitch pestering him constantly to go. Maybe she should have waited on base rather than simply taking herself to the village and waiting for him there. "Yeah well... You found me now." Hitch replied not letting the fact that she felt a little bit bad for leaving without him show on her face. She kept her emotions and feelings close to her chest.

Hitch had been about protest and say that they weren't a couple, that they weren't dating when Marlowe began to speak. But he halted before he could add the crucial piece of information. They weren't dating. They weren't and to Hitch that was part of the problem. Marlowe barely tolerated her at the best of times, but she still attempted to form some kind of friendship with him. Sadly most of her attempts to do so came about from her making jokes at his expense.
Of course, Hitch kept the fact that she liked Marlowe very close to her chest. After all, the last thing she wanted is such a rumour spreading about camp. Plus the other cadets already said they acted like an old married couple. They didn't, they weren't a couple let alone old or married.

She felt Marlowe look at her and she glanced up at him, feeling her cheeks redden all the more. His next comment caught Hitch by surprise, he wanted to buy her something. "Seriously?" Hitch began, managing to bite back the usual sarcastic response. He was trying to do something nice, trying to be friendly to her. "I... Thank you that is very kind of you." Hitch managed to say, please that she did not give him a snarky response for once. "Ah but of course what gentleman would not get a gift for the flower of his eye?" The merchant proclaimed with a grin, Hitch felt certain she could see the coins in his eyes as if he were already imagining completing the sale.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 10:05:59 AM »
Marlowe gave a slight nod at that. True, he found her, but he still felt bad not coming here with her. Of course they hadn't planned on doing so. Maybe he shouldn't feel all that bad, but he didn't know how long she'd been gone for or how long she'd been waiting for him to arrive.

Marlowe could have finished his statement, but saw little use in doing so. To a stranger, what did it matter if he knew if they were dating or not? They were little more then customers to him and he didn't need to know every aspect of their life. Glancing down at Hitch, he was pleased to see he wasn't the only one blushing here. Still, with how little Hitch seemed to care about everything, he was surprised she was even capable of feeling embarrassed.

Seriously?

Marlowe only gave her a small nod. He didn't see a problem in doing so. "I don't mind, Hitch. I didn't get you anything for your birthday this year so...think of this as an apology gift." he said with a small shrug. After all, they were friends, right? They had a strange friendship, but one nonetheless.

At her thanks, Marlowe felt his lips quirk up into a smile and he stifled a laugh, not wanting to make her anymore flustered. He didn't think she was capable of saying thanks, but this was a pleasant change to say the least. "You're welcome, Hitch." He murmured, feeling his blush only worsen as the vendor spoke again.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 02:04:09 PM »
 Hitch fought to recover from her embaressment, she had not expected to be seen as his girlfriend or him her boyfriend by well anyone really. She guessed however that she should have considered it a possibility. Especially since he came to join her at a stall that sold jewelry. She knew some of the other cadets were in relationships, even if a handful of those did not want to admit it. Sure Hitch liked Marlowe, he was very attractive... But she wondered if he felt the same towards her or maybe he suspected how she felt. Admittedly the thought concerned her greatly, perhaps her ability to disemble was no longer as effective as she believed.

"You didn't." Hitch confirmed quietly, though to be fair she kept a lot of her life secret or at the very least hidden. Though it seemed news of her birthday had slipped out somehow. "Apology accepted then. I guess." Hitch shrugged her shoulders, examining the various items on sale. She examined an intricate silver bird attached to a black cord. The salesman seemed to notice her interest in the item. "Ah the lady has excellent choice, that is the last one in stock, perhaps the last in the entire world as the jeweler who made them lived in Wall Maria." He explained, telling the story behind the bird. Hitch resisted the urge to roll her eyes. It could be true, but she suspected that it might be nothing more than made up to help make a sale. Hitch considered the necklace, trying to imagine how it might be when she wore it. "What do you think Marlowe?" Hitch inquired, he was after all being kind enough to buy her a gift, it only made sense to see what he thought about it and how he might see her with it.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 02:15:33 PM »
Marlowe watched as Hitch examined the jewelry. He had to admit, most here looked really nice. He wasn't a jewelry man himself so he didn't need anything, but a few here would suit Hitch nicely. His attention was drawn to the necklace Hitch had picked up. It was beautifully crafted.

Marlowe glanced towards the vendor as he spoke of the history of the necklace. If that was true, it was a shame. Too many people were lost that day. And they had quite a handful of cadets from Wall Maria, most orphans now with no home left. He was fortunate in that regard. He still had a family. He had a home. He couldn't imagine how the others felt.

What do you think Marlowe?

Marlowe glanced back at Hitch at her question. "You want my opinion?" he asked, clearly confused at that. After all, he was doing this for her, his opinion shouldn't sway what she wanted to get if she liked it. He sighed softly after a moment. "I think it would look beautiful on you." He admitted after a moment, avoiding her gaze.

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 03:15:00 PM »
 Hitch nodded the once. "Of course, you are buying it for my after all." She swallowed, managing to resist giving him the standard sarcastic remark. "Plus I want your opinion as to how you think it might look." The young woman grinned  at his comment about her being beautiful. "Me too." Hitch said, she looked beautiful without it true but it was nice to hear that he thought she looked beautiful if she had it.

"We'll take it." Hitch informed the shopkeeper who grinned, pleased at the thought of a sale. "But of course." Reaching for the necklace. "Would you like to wear it or would you prefer me to bag it up for you? Oh and be sure to recommend Konrad Monfrat to all your friends." He leaned closer to Marlowe. "And you my friend, you are welcome back anytime, maybe for a ring?" He laughed quietly and gave Marlowe a teasing wink.

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 03:34:29 PM »
Marlowe watched Hitch before looking back at the vendor as he spoke. He was silent for a moment. "She can wear it now if she wants to. May as well show it off." Marlowe murmured with a smile. At his comment about finding a ring, Marlowe stared at the man, his eyes widening. He was clearly at a loss for words.

"I...think it's a bit too early for anything like that." Marlowe stammered out, raising a hand to rub at the back of his neck. He couldn't see himself getting married, much less to Hitch. She didn't seem like the type of girl who would want to be weighed down with marriage. He glanced down, taking out the money for the necklace and handed it to the vendor before looking back towards Hitch.

"Besides, I'm pretty sure you can do better then me if you're looking to get married one day." Marlowe said with a small, nervous laugh.

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 10:35:04 AM »
Hitch gave a single nod. "Yes please." It seemed to be a bit pointless to put it in a bag and then her pocket, rather than wear it. Especially since it was a gift. Might be a tad rude, thanks for the gift Marlowe, let me stick in my pocket.

"I wouldn't say that." Hitch added, despite her own embaressment, she saw a chance for her own amusement, particularly as Marlowe appeared to be finding this conversation with the trader to be a tad awkward. Not that she could see herself getting married to Marlowe, sure he was nice but Hitch doubted her felt anything for her save for grudging tolerance in their dysfunctional friendship.
When Marlowe paid, Hitch took the necklace from the trader pausing to quickly clip it around her neck. "Thanks Marlowe, as good as you imagined?" She asked, though the way Hitch asked made it seem like she was teasing him.

"You'll never get to marry me with that attitude." Hitch commented with a small wry. She grinned up at him. "Thanks for the present though... You did not need to get me anything." She looked awkward for a few seconds, a rarity for Hitch before she suddenly attempted to give him a hug.

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 11:55:15 AM »
I wouldn't say that.

Marlowe only felt his cheeks heat up at that. Of course she couldn't resist making him feel more flustered. Still...the possibility of it happening one day sounded nice. Although he knew there was no chance of that. Chances are if he ever asked Hitch out he would just be flat out rejected and she'd never let him live it down. Why bother then?

Looking back towards the woman, he glanced her over now that she had the necklace on. Yes, it looked really good on her. Then again, he was mostly distracted just by her. She was beautiful, there was no denying that. A necklace hardly made a difference. "It looks nice." He mumbled after a moment.

You'll never get to marry me with that attitude.

Marlowe let out a quiet groan at her teasing. Fine, he had it coming. He couldn't get mad at her for that. "Like I'd have any chance anyway." Marlowe murmured with a small shrug. At her thanks, Marlowe nodded.

He suddenly froze when Hitch gave him a hug, his breath catching in his throat. He hadn't been expecting thanks from her, much less a hug. It took a few moments, but Marlowe soon rose his arms, wrapping them around her to return the embrace. "You're welcome Hitch." He murmured quietly.

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 01:52:10 PM »
 Hitch's smirk grew as his cheeks heated up. It had been too sweet a target to miss, she leapt on the opportunity with relish. Of course the likelihood of Marlowe agreeing to marry her or more likely asking to marry her were about as likely as Hitch being the heiress to the throne. Still it was a nice though, imagining him on one knee, opening a box that held a ring out to her. Hitch, with difficulty pushed the thought aside, such an ideal daydream was going to get her nowhere.

She smiled at that, despite him only saying she looked nice. "Thanks." Hitch said deciding not to tease him about his choice of words. As they were friends or close to friends she was limited as to what she could say and he was limited as to what he could say.

Hitch rolled her eyes at him. "You've got to stop with the negative waves. If you want to get the girl, go get her." She encouraged with a smirk, before true to form sticking her tongue out at him.

For  a few heartbeats, it seemed like he was not going to return the hug, but then Hitch felt Marlowe's arms wrap around her. Up close Marlowe smelled well nice, she wondered why she found that surprising. Had she not expected him to smell nice? She doubted that, since he was such a hard worker and so determined, she suspected he might well be the cleanest boy in the regiment. Deciding to think on that later, Hitch pulled away. "So where do you want to go?" Hitch inquired, glancing about them, as she brushed a stray lock of hair back into place.

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2020, 08:18:11 PM »
If you want to get the girl, go get her.

Marlowe scoffed at that, shaking his head slightly. Hitch wouldn't be saying that if she knew he liked her. She already teased him enough. She would never let him live this down if she found out about his crush. Though what if he felt the same? It was unlikely, but what if she also liked him? Marlowe quickly pushed those thoughts aside. He could dwell on that later.

Marlowe had to admit, it felt nice to be hugging her. It was a rare moment between them where she was actually laying off the jokes and was pleasant to be around. He would have enjoyed this a lot more if he wasn't still flustered from before. Marlowe glanced away from Hitch, drawing in a deep breath in an attempt to slow his quick heartbeat.

He let Hitch pull away, his arms falling to his sides again. At her question, Marlowe glanced around. If he was honest, he had no idea what they could do here. He hadn't even planned on coming if Hitch hadn't asked. "I don't mind either way Hitch. I'm happy just spending time with you." Marlowe murmured.

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2020, 08:28:54 PM »
 She huffed at that. "Since when were you happy to spend time with me?" Hitch said with a smirk, reverting to type. "I thought the only reason you put up with me was because I am in your squad." Sadly it meant that he got no break from her and had very little opportunity to escape. Another positive was that with the exception of Hitch, their squad was made up of males. This suited Hitch fine as it meant there was less competition for Marlowe. That in itself happened to be a weird thought, strange to feel jealous over someone who probably barely liked her as a friend, particularly strange when the jealous sprang from her own mind. So far as she knew, no one else had a crush on him.

Of course, Hitch as ever played her cards close to her chest. She was not about to say how she felt about him. He would probably just laugh and so no and then the squad would be awkward for the next year. No thanks, if she was doomed to failure, at the very least she might come clean in the Military Police. There, should he say no, there were plenty of places to hide, districts to relocate to in order to avoid any awkwardness.

Feeling that perhaps her comment had been a bit mean. "Fancy getting a hot drink? Mulled wine? Tea? Coffee? Hot chocolate?" She suggested kindly. "My treat since you were kind enough to buy me a present." Hitch gave him a small smile, but a genuine one, not the usual wry or sly one she tended to prefer.

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 08:46:07 AM »
Since when were you happy to spend time with me?

Marlowe stared at her in silence for a few moments. If he was being truthful, he was always happy being around her. Even if it was nothing but teasing at his expense, he still found joy in being around her. Marlowe glanced down, a faint shrug leaving him. "I like your company." He admitted quietly. He wasn't just 'putting up' with her. He genuinely liked her.

At the offer of getting a drink, Marlowe met her gaze again. He nodded after a moment. Sure, they could get a drink. He sighed softly. "Hitch, you don't have to do anything for me." He said. It was kind that she had wanted to do so, but he didn't want her to feel obligated to treat him to anything.

Tags:

* Tagbox

Refresh History

* Credits

Site banner, advert image and affiliate button created by Moon Child

Reluctant Heroes is in no way affiliated with Shingeki no Kyojin, Attack on Titan or Funimation and we give full credit to Hajime Isayama. Copyrights and trademarks for the manga and anime are held by their respective owners while all original content remains the property of the individual writers and artists.

We are grateful to former staff member Artsy for her creative input.