* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Season

Season 2

* Activity

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 60
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Wanted

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Webs: yesss
    December 01, 2018, 11:34:24 PM
  • Quiet: Two Arkin posts out. I owe a few Anka posts and I will get to those Sat/Sun. :-) Hope everyone has an awesome weekend!
    December 01, 2018, 01:02:39 AM
  • Quiet: or friday lol. looks like its going to be friday!
    November 30, 2018, 12:08:40 AM
  • Sandara: Hi titans and titans' food <3
    November 29, 2018, 08:49:03 AM
  • Quiet: Hoping to get a few out tomorrow. :-)
    November 29, 2018, 02:31:30 AM
  • Webs: Hope you'll be fully better soon! Looking forward to posties :) I'm going to get at least one done tomorrow for sure myself!
    November 28, 2018, 02:51:43 AM
  • Quiet: Thank you! Starting to feel better. Will get caught up on posts soon. :-)
    November 28, 2018, 02:12:19 AM
  • Webs: feel better soon, to the both of you! I'm feeling better :)
    November 26, 2018, 12:06:56 AM
  • Quiet: cant complain. hubby and i have matching head colds right now lol. you?
    November 25, 2018, 09:31:31 PM
  • Webs: how are you?
    November 25, 2018, 09:27:54 PM
  • Webs: very XD
    November 25, 2018, 09:27:51 PM
  • Quiet: That was very nice of Anka.
    November 25, 2018, 09:18:30 PM
  • Webs: i didn't change the pronouns because it was 5am and lazy XD
    November 25, 2018, 09:14:06 PM
  • Webs: "Eld Jinn slowly pushes Ian Dietrich closer into the cloud until she can't resist any more. Anka Rheinberger sacrifices himself so Moblit Berner can get away."
    November 25, 2018, 09:13:55 PM
  • Quiet: Howd Anka die if she was involved? Dang I'm scared to know lol.
    November 25, 2018, 08:54:42 PM
  • Webs: if it helps, Axel and Kieran kept picking flowers multiple times per round
    November 25, 2018, 08:46:31 PM
  • Webs: haha
    November 25, 2018, 08:46:16 PM
  • Quiet: :-X lol
    November 25, 2018, 07:58:54 PM
  • Quiet: He killed Arkin!!! What the hell? Who kills Arkin!!??
    November 25, 2018, 07:58:40 PM
  • Webs: less good for Eld - he had six kills, and Arkin was among them >.>
    November 25, 2018, 07:57:35 PM

* Directories

RPG-DRPG Initiative

Author Topic: Not One For Words (Anka)  (Read 1255 times)

Not One For Words (Anka)
« on: January 29, 2018, 05:10:19 PM »
Gladios had been on a search. Garrison members on the walls and on patrol were busy, and others were drinking and having their own fun, things Gladios didn't wish to interrupt simply because he needed help with his paperwork. Instead he asked them for someone that could help, without revealing too much about his lack of literacy.

He had no clue how to read.

The paper was only asking for confirmation on he fact Gladios was in trost, and that the information they had on him was correct. It only required a signature, but the large man has no clue of this. The words in the paper made as much sense as a baby gurgling it's first words.

He was pointed to the office of a woman named Anka by some half drunk man bearing the rose crest on his jacket pocket, and reluctantly, Gladios knocked, head hung in shame. It was his first day here and he had already made a fool of himself, lacking the insight to read was embarrassing to say the least.

Re: Not One For Words (Anka)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 07:11:27 PM »
Anka was checking over a few expense reports when she was startled by a knock at her office door. Honestly, she had pulled an all-nighter to get caught up on some reports and had been starting to doze off. Her head jerked up and she rubbed her eyes - calling out, “Come in.”

She could not help her eyes going wide when the person walked in. Most of her friends and fellow soldiers were much taller than she was - but this must have been the tallest and broadest person she had ever seen. Scarring on his face told Anka that he had certainly been through wars of his own.

"Hello there," Anka said after a moment. "You must be one of the transfers.  What I can I do for you?" She smiled and gestured for him to take a seat in the chair across from her.

"Rise up."

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 07:49:37 PM »
"Thank you, miss." He said with his low slurrish voice, a smile still making its way into his lips even in his embarrassment as he ducked his head to enter the room, and sat in the chair, which creaked under his weight. In most shall offices he felt like a giant, or a small Titan. He enjoyed being tall outside, but inside it was simply annoying.

He reluctantly placed his papers on the desk. "I am very sorry to use time of yours. But... I can't ..." He rubbed his neck, "I can not read." It was painful to admit, but there was no way around it. Forms were forms.

"If you have time, maybe you can tell me what I need to do?" The large man felt increasingly lost, glancing over the woman's expression hopefully, like an abandoned puppy.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 10:03:15 PM »
Anka wondered for a moment if the spindly chair would support his weight - but it looked to be holding. 

When he told her that he could not read, she nodded. Illiterate adults were rare but not unheard of.

She glanced at the stack of paperwork on her desk and then back at Gladios. She could not imagine this would take a long time so she nodded and gave him a small smile, "It's okay. It's no problem at all."

Anka extended her hand across the desk, indicating that Gladios should hand her his forms.

"Alright, these are easy," she said after a moment. "How about I read the questions, you answer, and then I'll just fill everything in. That would be the easiest way I think."

"Can you read at all?" Anka asked she prepared to go over the forms with Gladios.

"Rise up."

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 03:18:36 AM »
Guilt still heavily weighed on him as he nodded, he could give answers.

”Can read no words. Never learned.” He offered her a shy smile, tilting his head as he quickly scooted his chair closer, eager to hurry up so he wouldn’t have to bother Anka anymore. By the looks of it, she was already pretty busy with her own loads of paperwork. If he could help, he would have... but he lacked the sense to read, and for some reason it seemed like reading might have a little bit to do with paperwork.

Perhaps he could repay her in another way...

The hefty man glanced around the room, as if an idea would pop into his mind as he did so, but nothing struck him out for the moment.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 03:58:52 AM »
“That’s fine,” Anka said with a small smile as the gave Gladios a pat on the hand, “You never learned and it’s not your fault. When you are assigned a squad though - I’ll talk to your leader about getting a tutor or something for you. We’ll get you sorted.” Reading was something Anka loved and she knew that life was made simpler by reading.

Anka sat back in her chair, grabbed a pen, and looked over the paper. It was a basic transfer and intake form. “Are you Gladios Haggard and is your birthday June 5th?”

She went down a few questions - keeping them as yes or no as possible - until a sound at the window made her look over. There was a squirrel sitting on the windowsill. “Ah...I think her nest is near. I gave her a bread crust once and now she stops by once a day or so.”

"Rise up."

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 10:02:36 PM »
The large man shifted in his seat, the chair creaking under the movement. He nodded after she asked a question, thankful all the information seemed to be correct. If something had been wrong then it would have been more of a mess for them to sort out, and he already felt bad enough for bothering Anka while she seemed to have so much work to do already.
When the woman’s eyes went to the window, Gladios’ gaze followed. He beamed at the squirrel, and Anka’s explination to as why it was there. ”She must like you very much.” He tilted his head, ideas slowly seeping into his mind now that he had a little something to work on. “I am good at building bird houses. Perhaps I can build house for squirrel friend in your window? Small repayment for your help?”

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 11:21:40 PM »
It did not take them very long to go through the forms. Gladios had not been assigned a squad yet, so Anka just left that blank for now.

“I don’t think she likes me...I think she likes that I share my lunch with her.”

Anka was taken aback by Gladios’s reaction to the tiny creature. For such a large man - he was almost childlike. He almost reminded her of nephews back in Karanes. They were five and two years old. And got very excited over little animals.

"That is a very kind offer," Anka said, "But I don't think that would fit with the regulations. It's good to know you have that skill though. Very always need soldiers who are handy. I think it's good luck that you were transferred here then." Anka made a mental note to let Mitabi know about Gladios. Mitabi was a builder himself and perhaps could find something for Gladios to work on.

"Here," Anka said to the tall man. She handed him a small piece of bread from her lunch to give to the squirrel.

"Alright, let's just finish this paperwork up. Mother and father's names?" Anka asked - reading the next question.

"Rise up."

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 11:57:32 PM »
The large man gave a slight nod, it was an animal after all. Perhaps it was indeed only there for the food, but sometimes that could lead to a friendship? Feed a dog and it might follow you around and protect you, befriend you.
The burly man beamed when Anka gave him a piece of bread to feed the squirrel with, and he nodded his thanks before he stood, walking over and leaning against the wall as he placed the food next to the small creature. He had an affinity for animals, perhaps they were just lax around his demeanor, despite his size? The small rodent watched him for a moment before yanking the bread up, and nibbling at it, remaining where she was. Gladios smiled warmly- short lived, as Anka asked of his parents.

Those wounds were still open, the memories far from fresh, but they lived on in the back of his mind. … home

“Anne and George Haggard.” He said quickly, adverting his gaze back to the animal and reaching his finger out towards it. Normally small creatures were more welcome to a touch, so long as he was slow and did something like feed them first. The red and gray creature didn’t seem to mind his approach, so using one finger, he stroked at her back lightly.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 01:53:47 AM »
Anka smiled slightly as she watched Gladios with the squirrel. He seemed simple - but certainly endearing. And the squirrel was letting him pet her. That was something else. Gladios was a unique creature himself - of that Anka was sure. "She very much seems to like you. She just grabs the food out of my hand and runs."

She noted that his demeanor changed as he answered the question about his parents, Anka was perceptive enough to not to press.

"Have you always liked animals?" Anka wondered if there was a horse big enough for Gladios to ride. Maybe one of those massive carthorses?

"Last question - where were you born?"

"Rise up."

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 10:33:11 PM »
The large man pursed his lips, making a small clicking sound at the squirrel after a moment, and earned a similar sound in response. The small creature then padded away, and Gladios hummed thoughtfully as he watched it scamper off without another glance at him.

“Yes, I have always been good with animals.” He said and returned to his seat slowly, tapping his fingers on his chest, “My heart is bigger than my brain, and that is okay.”

He was more reluctant to answer the question of his home, but after long moments of pushing memories down and away, he spoke, two words that assured him that all paperwork really was evil, for making him speak them. “Underground City.”

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 11:54:27 PM »
“My heart is bigger than my brain, and that is okay.”

Anka blinked at that. "Not everyone is book smart. Not everyone needs to be book smart." She was silent a moment longer, "You will be a good member of the Garrison here. I am sure of that."

“Underground City.”

Anka paused, "Alright." That was surprising. But years with Pixis had made Anka more than a little unflappable. She looked at the much taller man and smiled, "Well...glad you made it up here."

She glanced through the paperwork again, "Looks like everything is in order. Have you gotten your barracks assignment and it looks like you're due for some new uniforms? Taken care of that yet?"

"Rise up."

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 04:28:09 AM »
Gladios perked up, happy to hear that the business was done with, and he could put his past behind him once again, and bury those deeply hated memories. Sadly he knew he couldn't just tuck them away forever, but what could be done about them now? Or ever, for that matter? Better to let it eat away at him after time rather than all at once. After all, there was a lot of work to do in this world, and he needed to be sane to get through it.

"I am very glad to be here as well. The air is clean and there are many nice people like Ian- and you." He said and stood, tucking his chair back the way it had been when he entered, and shook his head as he stood beside the woman, slowly raising his arms open wide, "I have everything covered, yes, many thanks, friend!" He looked down at Anka expectantly, expression beaming with delight as well as anticipation.

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 09:26:19 PM »
"I am very glad to be here as well. The air is clean and there are many nice people like Ian- and you."

Anka nodded, “Ian is very nice. Though I don’t know if he’d like that fact to get around.” She gave Gladios a smile before continuing, “You’ll do fine here. Work hard. Listen to your commanding officer. Do the right thing. You’ll do great. The Garrison is lucky to have a dedicated soldier like you.” She meant it. The Garrison had a - though not as bad as it had been before - reputation as being lazy and useless. That bothered Anka to no end and it always pleased her to meet another soldier dedicated to humanities cause within the Walls.

"I have everything covered, yes, many thanks, friend!" He looked down at Anka expectantly, expression beaming with delight as well as anticipation.

Anka looked at his raised arms with some confusion. It took her a moment to process what the huge man wanted. "Oh...that's not...alright then." She stepped towards Gladios and - not even trying to reach up to his neck - wrapped her arms as best she could around his chest. Up until now, Kitz was the tallest man she knew and Gladios had a few inches on him. She wondered for a moment how tall his parents had been.

"Be sure to stop at the mess and get some dinner. It's chicken soup tonight. It's very good." She waited for Gladios to break the hug - doubtful she could pull away even if she really tried. Still...it was a nice feeling. 

"Rise up."

Tags:

* Tagbox

Refresh History

* Credits

Site banner, advert image and affiliate button created by Moon Child

Reluctant Heroes is in no way affiliated with Shingeki no Kyojin, Attack on Titan or Funimation and we give full credit to Hajime Isayama. Copyrights and trademarks for the manga and anime are held by their respective owners while all original content remains the property of the individual writers and artists.