* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Season

Season 2

* Activity

Re: Team Six: Garrison Regiment [Assault on Utopia] by Arkin Holt
[September 15, 2018, 01:46:46 AM]

Site Update #05 by Puffin
[September 14, 2018, 08:30:28 PM]

Re: Roll Call #06! by Puffin
[September 14, 2018, 06:54:04 PM]

Re: Roll Call #06! by Kouki
[September 12, 2018, 09:31:30 PM]

Re: Staff Promotion by Webs
[September 12, 2018, 06:02:57 PM]

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 50
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Wanted

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Quiet: No stress and no worries. Mitabi can dangle for a little while longer. ;-)
    September 21, 2018, 12:24:41 AM
  • Lou: I will be posting here soon. I haven't forgotten about you all <3
    September 20, 2018, 03:17:08 AM
  • Quiet: Awwwww thank you!
    September 15, 2018, 11:21:57 PM
  • Lou: <3
    September 15, 2018, 09:38:32 PM
  • Lou: Arkin
    September 15, 2018, 09:38:23 PM
  • Puffin: Quiet has the power! :D
    September 14, 2018, 07:09:31 PM
  • Lou: Dangerous Quiet...oh man
    September 13, 2018, 05:38:13 AM
  • Lou: hahaha
    September 13, 2018, 05:37:54 AM
  • Quiet: LOL it finally clicked how to do it - so now I'm dangerous. ;-)
    September 12, 2018, 06:23:55 PM
  • Puffin: Quiet, that is some perfect gift usage. <3
    September 12, 2018, 04:39:39 PM
  • Puffin: Pretty good, thanks! Glad the working day is over. :D
    September 12, 2018, 04:39:18 PM
  • Webs: how is everybody?
    September 11, 2018, 11:28:11 PM
  • Webs: <3
    September 11, 2018, 11:28:08 PM
  • Mitabi Jarnach: I am happy it is the weekend.
    September 08, 2018, 03:51:31 AM
  • Quiet: Hope everyone is having a good time heading into Friday and has a great weekend!!
    September 07, 2018, 03:12:48 AM
  • Auruo Bossard: Also I need to switch accounts cause yeah
    September 05, 2018, 04:40:49 AM
  • Auruo Bossard: I can't wait until this weekend because I will have time to playyyyy
    September 05, 2018, 04:40:34 AM
  • Auruo Bossard: YUSSSSS
    September 05, 2018, 04:39:29 AM
  • Quiet: As am I.  :-X >:D XP
    September 03, 2018, 09:30:08 PM
  • Puffin: Ooft, my feelings! I can't wait to see how it all unfolds. And I'm curious how Ian will react...
    September 03, 2018, 09:25:21 PM

* Our Server

* Directories

RPG-DRPG Initiative

Author Topic: A trip in the forest. [Bertholdt]  (Read 1421 times)

Re: A trip in the forest. [Bertholdt]
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 09:38:11 PM »
"I'm okay," replied Bertholdt. His head had stopped hurting awhile ago. He was glad that Mara's leg was feeling better; if she had been able to walk all this way, it was probably just bruised, which, though painful, wasn't anything major.

He nodded. "That's a good idea." He was a little apprehensive about letting her go by herself, just in case something happened, but the stream was visible from the hill she pointed out. The newly risen moon provided enough light for him to feel at least somewhat confident.

"I can start a fire," Bert suggested, hoping that he could actually live up to that. A fire would offer them warmth, but more importantly, it would make them easier to find. And with that, he began trudging towards the hill, glancing over his shoulder every so often to make sure Mara wasn't getting mauled by wolves or anything. He tried to imagine himself fighting a wolf without using any weapons. Even in his mind, it didn't go very well.

There was a small clearing at the top of the hill, and he figured it was as good a place as any. Bertholdt cleared the leaves away from a patch of dirt and set up whatever rocks he could find in a circle. The last thing he wanted was for a fire to spread: there were far too many dry leaves on the ground, and they'd really be in trouble if the whole thing went up in flames.

He had never been skilled at setting fires by hand like this, and he spent a few minutes struggling with the flint and striker he found in his pack before finally seeing a small ember catch in one of the kindling twigs. After a few minutes, it spread to the rest of the kindling. The fire was weak and could barely be considered a fire, but Bertholdt figured it would grow if he tended it enough. He sat in front of it, poking at it with a stick while munching on one of the food bar rations from his pack. It was dry and tasted like nothing in particular. He wondered when Mara would be back with the water.

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 08:08:17 PM »
Nodding, Mara felt relieved that they had something of a survival plan. Even if it meant they didn't have anything to immediately eat, maybe she'd find some berries or something near the river. She had read a book once about wild food or something similar, which had suggested there were many edible plants, it was just making sure it was definitely edible and not something that would end up causing... not so wonderful results. Like death. They definitely wanted to avoid those plants.

At the stream, she took out her canteen, emptied of what water it had held throughout their walk to keep her from the edge of dehydration, and held it up to her lips, letting a few droplets tickle her tongue. Once done, she took a look at the stream. It didn't look especially dirty, and there wasn't much she could do if it was. How did people clean water? She wasn't sure, but she thought it had something to do with heat. Only that would waste some water anyway.

Pushing the canteen under the water, she scooped it up till it overflowed, water cascading over her fingers, and screwed the top back on. Feeling proud of herself, she hunted the edges of the stream until she spotted very dark berries clustering in a bush, and plucked them off. With as little light as there was, it took her a moment to be sure of herself, before taking some more. They could eat these, she was certain.

The girl made her hike up the hill, relieved to see the fire that had been started. It wasn't perfect, but anything would do, and it was sure to be better than what she could have made by herself.

"Nice work," she smiled at Bertholdt, as she held up the canteen in triumph. "I haven't tasted it, but the water looked pretty clean, so I think we'll be okay. I also found these." Flattening her palm, she showed him the berries she'd collected. "They're blackberries, so we can eat them." At least it would be something. Weren't blackberries juicy too? That meant they'd help with water as well.

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 04:08:54 AM »
Bertholdt, who had been feeling weary and somewhat anxious, perked up at the mention of blackberries. He’d eaten them before on occasion, but they weren’t readily available where he was from, making them a rare treat.
Wow, that’s a great find,” he said earnestly, smiling back at Mara. “Certainly better than these nutrition bars... Ah, there should be some in your pack, too.” Struck with an idea, he took a blackberry and ate it with his next bite of the bar. It wasn’t anything spectacular, but it helped.
Bertholdt remembered his own canteen and drank what was left in it. Somehow, he’d forgotten to give it to Mara to fill, which was really a silly mistake to make. At least the stream wasn’t too far away. Satisfied for the moment, he took a few more berries and turned his attention back to poking at the fire.
It sort of feels like camping, huh? I don’t think I’ve ever actually gone camping before.

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 01:32:55 PM »
Pleased with his reaction, Mara perked up as he smiled in return. Nutrition bars were helpful, but having a few spoils of the wilderness wouldn't hurt, and it might make it easier to eat if they were eating a little bit of a treat. "It might help a little," she said, taking a seat by the fire's side.

She removed her pack, opening it to search through their supplies, and found the promised nutrition bars. Setting the blackberries down on the top of her pack, nestled in a dip in the fabric, she unwrapped the bar and munched on the cracker, popping one blackberry into her mouth once she was halfway through. It wasn't too bad like that. Maybe they'd be able to find some more. Though that meant staying out even longer.

"I guess so," she said, looking around. "I just wish we had found them already," she added more quietly, shrinking away from the shadows of the forest. They would be found soon enough, wouldn't they? Yes. Of course they would be. "What should we do now?"

Tags:

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Arkin Holt: ** move not movie!
    September 15, 2018, 01:48:13 AM
  • Arkin Holt: Short Arkin post for Utopia to movie it along. [link]
    September 15, 2018, 01:47:45 AM
  • Puffin: Site Update #05 is live! [link]
    September 14, 2018, 08:31:24 PM
  • Puffin: We have another staff announcement - Webs has traded in their moderator badge for an administrator one! [link]
    September 12, 2018, 03:56:54 PM
  • Puffin: We have a new staff member joining the ranks! Congratulations to Guardsman! [link]
    September 03, 2018, 03:51:37 PM
  • Puffin: Roll Call #06 is live! Be sure to drop in and post. [link]
    September 03, 2018, 01:44:20 PM
  • Dot Pixis: Anka and Pixis for Gustav! Also this is where we are going to start to link the 2 Garrison threads. :-) [link]
    September 02, 2018, 01:20:18 AM
  • Puffin: A reminder relating to the Assault on Utopia event has been posted! [link]
    August 28, 2018, 03:47:27 PM
  • Hilda Meissner: Reply for Mara! [link]
    August 26, 2018, 11:52:08 PM
  • Mara Sonnenschein: Reply for Hilda! [link]
    August 24, 2018, 11:47:29 PM

* Credits

Site banner, advert image and affiliate button created by Moon Child

Reluctant Heroes is in no way affiliated with Shingeki no Kyojin, Attack on Titan or Funimation and we give full credit to Hajime Isayama. Copyrights and trademarks for the manga and anime are held by their respective owners while all original content remains the property of the individual writers and artists.