* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Season

Season 2

* Activity

No posts were found.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 21
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Wanted

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Webs: it should all be mostly fixed now :)
    August 09, 2019, 05:05:42 PM
  • Webs: sorry this is late, been scrolling down the site to deal with the spam issue more than checking the chatbox
    August 09, 2019, 04:59:08 PM
  • Webs: Quiet!!
    August 09, 2019, 04:58:55 PM
  • Quiet: I'm alive! Hoping to post this weekend!
    August 08, 2019, 01:05:15 PM
  • Puffin: I really must post soon! Sorry for the glacial pace, guys. ^^'
    August 05, 2019, 03:09:35 PM
  • Webs: We're still alive :)
    July 28, 2019, 11:50:21 PM
  • Webs: minaaaa
    July 03, 2019, 07:08:39 PM
  • Serenity Kinslea: Getting caught up on threads as wwell!
    June 29, 2019, 06:28:56 PM
  • Serenity Kinslea: Hey guys!
    June 29, 2019, 06:28:19 PM
  • Quiet: Just wanted to let everyone know I'll be getting caught up on threads when my husband and I get back home. Look for posts Sunday and Monday. :-)
    June 28, 2019, 10:47:06 PM
  • Nanaba: Welcome tategama
    June 22, 2019, 12:09:11 AM
  • Quirin Drexler: welcome, Tategama!!
    June 11, 2019, 09:04:17 PM
  • Puffin: Hi Tategama, welcome to the site! :)
    June 10, 2019, 09:35:46 PM
  • Tategama: Hello
    June 10, 2019, 09:33:17 PM
  • Webs: oh man i just saw this but YES for sure XD
    June 09, 2019, 07:58:03 PM
  • Puffin: I have to admit, the sticky floor gave me a giggle! Poor Anka and Gustav. XD
    June 07, 2019, 09:39:28 PM
  • Quiet: So if there was a Yelp in the SNK world....Gustav and Anka would be leaving the tavern a negative review lol.
    June 05, 2019, 01:26:26 AM
  • Nero: Thanks! And hi. :)
    June 03, 2019, 10:39:51 PM
  • Puffin: Oops, I was meant to do that for you, Nero! I'll take care of it now. Welcome to RH, by the way! :)
    June 03, 2019, 10:27:16 PM
  • Virgil Adair: How can I move my application into directory?
    June 03, 2019, 01:33:28 PM

* Directories

RPG-DRPG Initiative

Author Topic: Team One: Civilian Evacuation [Gate House]  (Read 2585 times)

Re: Team One: Civilian Evacuation [Gate House]
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 05:56:19 AM »
The effort he put into moving the crowbar burned. He could feel sweat prick through his skin, the dampness at his hairline. Nack didn't relent, energising himself with the pure unfiltered determination of one who fought for others. It was the least selfish - he wasn't prepared to even think of being selfless - thing he had done, and he was going to do it well. If they couldn't get the gate open, thousands would die. Worse, they'd all remain trapped with the Titans.

Struna wouldn't give up if she were there. So nor would he.

His laboured breaths came out in pants by the time the screech of protest, of movement, sounded. The brunet collapsed forward, very almost smacking his head into the crowbar, and it took all of his willpower to keep going. So close, almost... there! As cold relief spread over his aching muscles, he nodded at Farran's pat and moved out of the way.

Leaning against the wall, he took deep sucks of breath to ease his lungs. It burned, at first, but not half as bad as his muscles had felt aflame. Nack knew he had to move, while Hilda assisted the engineer. Now it was his turn on watch, but instead his eyes fluttered shut. Peace, blocking out the world. Dismissing his worries.

To snap himself out of it took more than he'd thought. It was a sudden noise that startled him, and he reached for his blades before realising that it had been the sound of horses clopping along. Somebody pulling a wagon, maybe, or thinking it would get them through the gates further. It didn't matter. Alert, the boy stared at the doorway.

Only a few seconds passed before the paranoia set in. What if it were the saboteur, returning to ensure they got no further? His fingers gripped the hilt of his blades. "How's it going?" he asked over his shoulder, not daring to look back.

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2019, 04:13:59 PM »
(OOC: Sorry for the slow reply, guys! Just a heads-up that I sent this reply to Senia for approval before posting it here. I had done a bunch of research on the mechanics of drawbridges, etc. but it's all on my laptop and I'm stuck on mobile at the moment, so I decided to be fairly vague and keep things moving along.)

As Hilda approached, wide-eyed but able and willing, Farran had a sense of her nervousness. The cadet's apprehension was understandable, given both their dire circumstances and the huge weight of responsibility that lay heavy on their shoulders. If the three of them did not raise the gate, many of the people on the ground would be doomed to die. Painfully, slowly, trapped in a district now populated with Titans. Recognising little good would come from this train of thought - they all knew full well a very human price would be paid for their failure - Farran reined in his trepidatious mind, instead offering Hilda a small smile. One that was weary, grateful and, hopefully, encouraging.

It took them both to guide the new gear onto the unoccupied shaft, and some force on the Garrison soldier's part to push it into place. He murmured quiet instructions to Hilda as they worked together to adjust the pawl, and to examine the arm it was attached to. With every second that ticked by, the atmosphere grew more electric and urgent. Still, they could not hurry their meticulous work unduly; it would not do to attempt to raise the gate, only to have the apparatus jam or break.

"Almost there…" Farran grunted, as much in encouragement of his assistant as it was an answer to the boy's question. His hands were slick with grease when, at last, he stood back to regard the repaired windlass. "Done, I think we're done." As he spoke, his grey eyes flicked briefly over to the dark-haired girl, looking for affirmation, lest Hilda espied some flaw that escaped his attention. "You did well," he told her, and meant it, having been quietly impressed with her ability to work diligently under pressure.

Breathing deep, he then pressed the heels of his hands over his eyes. A moment to recentre, to refocus, to prepare for the next stage. "It'll take all three of us to raise the gate, assuming everything holds up," Farran's hands fell away from his face, so one could gesture to the windlass to indicate his meaning. One at each winch, another to watch closely and ensure the ropes fed smoothly into the apparatus.

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2019, 12:24:41 AM »
As nervewracking as it was to have the fate of Utopia, and likely all of Wall Rose in partly in her hands like this, Hilda felt a sense of relief at getting to work on replacing the damaged gear. It would keep her too busy to worry about what was going on outside, about who might be hurt or even dead. About the Titans themselves- she shuddered just thinking about the ones she’d seen already. The memory felt more like a fever dream than something she’d actually seen with her own eyes, it was all too surreal.

Shaking those thoughts off, she helped move the gear onto the shaft, thoughts of whatever might be happening outside suppressed as much as Hilda could manage, so that she might focus on the task at hand, one that required time and attention. She listened carefully to Farran’s instructions, following them as best she could, periodically reminding herself mentally to stay focused and not to rush anything or miss a single detail.

Hilda didn’t have a very good sense of time, so she wasn’t sure how long it had been since they’d started before the windlass was finally repaired, though it had felt like an eternity. She smiled a little at being told she’d done well, and gave the windlass one last looking over before nodding. “Yeah, everything looks good.”

She looked down at her grimy hands and wiped them on her pants. “Where do you want each of us to go?” she asked, given that one of them would have a different task than the other two.

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 11:16:36 PM »
Each second that passed was another that gripped him in turmoil. Itching to go out, to do something, to help somebody... or to run. How bad was it out there now? How many people had already died? He could imagine that, as sure as he could lie about it. Blood raining down, great puddles of red pooling the streets, streams snaking through the cobbles. The smell, rancid and rotting, of vomit and meat.

When they finished, Nack didn't stop the great sigh of relief as he turned back to them. "It will hold," he said confidently, striding over to the windlass. Just a look at it gave him shivers. Could he do that? No, he couldn't. Could he? But he had to do something. The sooner the better too.

"We don't have to do any more checks to make sure it doesn't hold anyway, do we?" he asked, phrasing it with his typical boldness. Inside, panic reigned. If there was something to check, he could do that, and then it would go easier on them. Though the winches couldn't be too bad, could they? It wasn't going to be more difficult than the crowbar, surely.

Deciding it better to get it over with, he positioned himself at a winch, preparing himself to listen to what they had to do exactly. « Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 11:17:09 PM by Nack Tierce »

* Tagbox

Refresh History

* Credits

Site banner, advert image and affiliate button created by Moon Child

Reluctant Heroes is in no way affiliated with Shingeki no Kyojin, Attack on Titan or Funimation and we give full credit to Hajime Isayama. Copyrights and trademarks for the manga and anime are held by their respective owners while all original content remains the property of the individual writers and artists.