* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Season

Season 2

* Activity

Re: Forget-me-not. [Mara] by Mara Sonnenschein
[November 18, 2018, 10:50:54 PM]

Re: [Harvest Feast] Off-duty. by Miriam Gracey
[November 17, 2018, 07:54:09 PM]

Re: Fighting fancies. [Nack] by Axel Falkenrath
[November 16, 2018, 09:31:23 PM]

Re: Soap suds. [Erwin] by Erwin Smith
[November 15, 2018, 01:58:39 AM]

Re: No maker made me. [solo] by Quirin Drexler
[November 14, 2018, 10:14:45 PM]

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 110
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Wanted

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Webs: I'm struggling with my cold/sinus infection so gonna focus on doing short replies for a little while and then get back into the longer posts :)
    November 18, 2018, 09:54:36 PM
  • Webs: <3
    November 18, 2018, 09:54:08 PM
  • Quiet: Hope everyone had a nice Saturday and are heading in to a great Sunday. :-)
    November 18, 2018, 02:47:15 AM
  • Auruo Bossard: YES happy wed for sure
    November 15, 2018, 03:24:47 AM
  • Quiet: Happy Wednesday y'all!
    November 15, 2018, 02:59:22 AM
  • Webs: Sleep well!
    November 13, 2018, 04:47:45 PM
  • Beatrix Drexler: Take care :) It is already midnight here, so Im gonna log out soon as well
    November 13, 2018, 03:17:23 PM
  • Webs: heading out but i'll be back online later ^^
    November 13, 2018, 03:15:22 PM
  • Webs: I'm so looking forward to seeing what you do with her! Can't wait to plot with you :)
    November 13, 2018, 12:28:13 PM
  • Auruo Bossard: I am excite for Beatrix
    November 13, 2018, 05:49:35 AM
  • Sandara: I will also post an introduction once her app is done. I cant wait to plot with everyone!
    November 13, 2018, 03:59:46 AM
  • Sandara: Webs, yep, a Beatrix <3 I hope I will be able to do her justice
    November 13, 2018, 03:59:13 AM
  • Lou: All good here. Enjoying my extended weekend
    November 12, 2018, 11:26:47 PM
  • Webs: hope all are well
    November 12, 2018, 05:10:58 PM
  • Webs: Beatrix <3
    November 12, 2018, 05:10:54 PM
  • Quiet: A day late lol.
    November 12, 2018, 03:36:46 PM
  • Quiet: Happy Veterans Day to anyone who celebrates. :-)
    November 12, 2018, 03:36:22 PM
  • Quiet: No worries. Fun to creep...I mean read.
    November 12, 2018, 03:36:04 PM
  • Ymir: Forgive the Yista spam >.>  our rare treasure <3
    November 12, 2018, 03:24:53 AM
  • Webs: all okay on this front!
    November 12, 2018, 02:55:26 AM

* Directories

RPG-DRPG Initiative

Author Topic: Wandering nostalgia. [Hilda]  (Read 2878 times)

Wandering nostalgia. [Hilda]
« on: April 19, 2018, 10:56:48 PM »
[ summer, 845 ]

It was peaceful, sitting aside a friend while you studied. Mara liked it, she loved having company while learning because she could casually ask questions not answered by the text before her, or check to see how her friend was getting on. Not everybody made good companions for quiet reading. She definitely wasn't one of them, because she liked to interject with conversation every so often. It was like a little break. A reward for getting to the end of a long string of information.

Sitting by Hilda, she fixed her eyes on a book about various flora out in the wilderness that could be useful, whether for medicinal purposes or to be eaten. It was a struggle to remember them all, but she definitely remembered some of them from hearing her mother speak of them.

"Have you ever tried eating blackberries?" she asked, glancing towards the girl. She sat at a table, book splayed out in front of her, her elbows pressed either side of the pages. "I've had them before, once, back home. I think one of my friends went foraging for berries and came back with some to share." The memory brought a smile to her lips.

Re: Wandering nostalgia. [Hilda]
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 01:28:43 AM »
When it came to reading for fun, Hilda preferred to do so with no interruptions or distractions to pull her from the story she was immersed in. But she didn't mind company at all when she was studying. Having someone to study with kept her focused, and of course it always helped to have someone around to discuss the material with.

She looked up from her book at the sound of Mara's voice. "Yeah, I ate them a lot back home." she said with a little smile. "We have blackberry bushes in our backyard. Picking blackberries so my mother could use them in desserts or preserves was one of the few chores I didn't mind doing." Maybe she'd ask her mother to send some blackberry preserves in her next letter, because now she was kind of craving them.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 02:39:49 PM »
Mara watched her friend, excited to hear that Hilda had tried blackberries - even better, had had blackberry bushes much closer to home. "That sounds wonderful," she breathed, trying to picture it. She hadn't ever tried blackberries outside of just the odd raw one, but realised that it was probably used in all sorts.

"What kind of desserts?" she asked, tilting her head to the side so her hair, tied in her usual fashion, curved over her shoulder. "I wish we could have blackberries here." She sighed, thinking back to the taste of it all. Maybe there were some bushes somewhere. In the forest they trained in, maybe?

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 02:28:39 AM »
"Mostly pies and tarts, sometimes she'd use the preserves in thumbprint cookies." Hilda answered, stretching her legs a little. "I always liked getting to help make the thumbprint cookies." What she wouldn't give for one of those cookies right now.

"It'd be so nice to have blackberries here."
she sighed. "They'd certainly liven up breakfast." The meals here were so plain compared to what she was used to at home, and it was always the same stuff. "Did you have any fruit bushes or trees near your house?" she asked.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 10:57:00 PM »
Mara's mouth watered at the description. It wasn't even that much, but it was something to cling onto, and it made her feel hungry. The meals weren't terrible as a cadet, but it definitely made her miss all the food in Utopia. "That sounds really nice," she murmured, daydreaming in the distance.

At the question, she blinked and tilted her head. "Not really, we lived - we live right in the middle of a bunch of houses. Sometimes we grew some food but nothing like that." She wished they had, but living near the gate meant there wasn't much grass around. "I wish we did though, I love trees. And I love picking fruit. I hope we get to do that sometimes here. Don't you?"

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 12:22:29 AM »
"What did you grow?" she asked, curious. She was guessing vegetables and herbs. That's mostly what grew in the small garden out in the backyard at home. "Picking fruit sounds a lot better than most of the stuff we're doing here." she said with a wry smile. "I guess we might get to do that in survival skills classes."

All this talk of food was hunger-inducing, and dinner wasn't for another couple of hours, so she decided to change the topic. "So, which class do you like best so far?" she asked. « Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 12:23:11 AM by Hilda Meissner »

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 08:17:16 PM »
"Mint and parsley," she said, wistfully staring into the distance. "Basil and rosemary, though thyme was my favourite. Mostly potatoes though, mother thought ours were the best in the whole district. Sometimes we could sell them, if we had a little too many. I think they'll sell some more this year, because Adrian and I can't eat them now." She felt a pang in her stomach, and wondered if it were hunger or upset. She did miss those potatoes, though they had been small and weirdly shaped, probably because of the cramped space.

Smiling at her friend, Mara nodded in agreement. "I would much prefer to pick berries than do all the hand-to-hand combat. So maybe one day, when everything is more out in bloom here? I don't know." She really hoped that would be soon. "I like battlefield medicine the most. It's horrible to think about, but it's kind of calming. What do you prefer?"

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 04:42:04 AM »
“That sounds really nice.” Hilda murmured. “I love the smell of fresh basil.” She bit her lip when Mara guessed that her family would be selling more potatoes in her and her brother’s absence, not quite sure what to say. Being away from home, wondering what everyone did while she was gone felt strange and sad, and she wondered if it was the same for Mara.

“I guess my favorite is Titan lore and anatomy, especially the lore.”
she answered. “I mean, Titans are terrifying to think about, but they’re such a mystery that it’s interesting to know more about them and try to figure out just where they came from and why their habits are what they are.”

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 11:47:13 PM »
Mara blinked at Hilda's confession, unsure of what to make of it. And then she smiled, calm. "Perhaps one day we'll find out, and I'm sure you'll be the first to tell me," she said optimistically, a brightness to her warm brown gaze. "It's a difficult subject, and that you find it interesting is... helpful, isn't it?" A troubled frown creased her forehead. They needed people to find interest in it, to drive them to want to look into it further. That would help them, after all. The more they knew, the better they could fight against them.

Though she would much rather find better ways of healing people.

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 11:51:24 PM »
Hilda supposed it would be a difficult subject to study in the real world, as part of work, to try and figure out all the whys and hows of Titans, but as far as classes in training went, it was actually one of the easiest subjects for her, partly because she found it so engaging.

"I'm not sure if I'd actually be going into that kind of work since I'm leaning towards the Garrison. I'd guess the Survey Corps would handle that since they're the ones who are more proactive with Titans and all."
Hilda said, twisting the ends of her hair between her forefinger and thumb. "Reading about them is fascinating, but... I don't know how I'd handle it if I saw one in real life!" She shuddered at the thought of it.

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 05:11:47 PM »
Mara nodded thoughtfully. "I suppose. You'd think the Garrison might have more experience with them... but who knows what's changed now?" Before the Fall of Wall Maria, Utopia had never had any Titans. But after, there had been whispered concerns they might get some, when the Titans managed to travel north enough. She couldn't imagine what it might be like for Trost District. She hadn't spent enough time to know, but she supposed she could ask people who lived there before they joined the cadets. Enough time must have passed for the monsters to reach Trost...

"I hope we never have to see one," she said, with a grimace at the thought. "It's horrible looking at pictures of them, for me. There's just so much... wrong with them. I don't think I'll ever nail what they're really like. I can't imagine what people who have seen one, or more than one!, think when they see them..."

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 06:09:42 AM »
“Maybe, I guess some of them have had to deal with Titans recently. Maybe I’ll ask about who actually studies Titans in class.” Hilda frowned. It seemed that everything had changed in these past months. She knew she was luckier than others- she hadn’t lost her home or her family like so many from Wall Maria. But here she was, which was a huge change in and of itself. Now it felt like nowhere was safe- that colossal Titan could strike Wall Rose at any moment. Now joining the Garrison or even the Military Police was no guarantee that you’d never face a Titan.

“I’d imagine seeing a Titan in real life, most people are going to either think how can they can escape from it, or how they’re going to kill it.”
she said with a rueful smile, releasing the ends of her hair from her fingers. Her natural instinct would probably be to flee rather than fight, but now that she was conscripted, fleeing probably wasn’t going to be an option for her. « Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 06:09:57 AM by Hilda Meissner »

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 12:29:04 AM »
"That might be a good idea," Mara murmured. She just really hoped to never see one. Utopia should be safe, she knew that. As much as she wanted to help people, she felt being terrified wouldn't be any help to anybody at all. But she had a while to think on it properly.

Grimacing at the thought, she nodded. "Or both. Weigh up whether they can kill it or if it would be better to run... or if there's no escape and the only thing they can do is attack it." The girl shuddered. "I wish they'd just all vanish..."

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 09:07:31 PM »
“I think everybody wishes that.” Hilda said wistfully. “Like, the way they do when they die, just turning into steam and evaporating, so we’d know they were dead and gone for good.” She sighed, knowing they wouldn’t be lucky enough for the Titans to all suddenly die at once.

Pushing the thought of Titans away, she turned the page of her book then, glancing down at a drawing of a plum. “It’s been a long while since I’ve had a plum. Even a drawing of one looks good right now.” « Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 09:07:45 PM by Hilda Meissner »

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 10:30:57 PM »
With a little grimace, Mara nodded in agreement. "Yeah. I wonder what happens when it gets really foggy. How many people hope, maybe this time, they've gone..." It was a horribly hopeful and depressing thought. She pulled herself out of the misery quickly, turning her attention to the drawing.

"I don't think I've ever had one. Oh. Maybe once." Thoughtful, she tilted her head to the side. "Maybe next time we're on kitchen duty we should try and make something really nice for everybody. Something different. We could go out and pick herbs or something," she suggested.

Tags:

* Tagbox

Refresh History

* Credits

Site banner, advert image and affiliate button created by Moon Child

Reluctant Heroes is in no way affiliated with Shingeki no Kyojin, Attack on Titan or Funimation and we give full credit to Hajime Isayama. Copyrights and trademarks for the manga and anime are held by their respective owners while all original content remains the property of the individual writers and artists.