* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Season

Season 2

* Activity

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 75
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Wanted

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Arkin Holt: Thank yee kindly.
    Today at 02:01:59 AM
  • Webs: loving all those posts
    Today at 02:00:33 AM
  • Webs: will do! it's awesome :)
    Today at 02:00:26 AM
  • Arkin Holt: Scratching is ready to be wrapped when you want. :-)
    Today at 12:42:58 AM
  • Webs: Arkiiin <3
    Today at 12:27:43 AM
  • Webs: <3
    October 15, 2018, 08:07:17 PM
  • Mitabi Jarnach: Happy Saturday everyone~
    October 14, 2018, 04:55:13 AM
  • Webs: hey, Quiet! Hope your weekend is going well :)
    October 14, 2018, 12:23:58 AM
  • Quiet: Hello RH and hope everyone is having an awesome weekend so far!
    October 13, 2018, 09:48:28 PM
  • Webs: welcome to RH!
    October 13, 2018, 09:22:35 PM
  • Webs: Gustav trying to avoid mourning Anka by focusing on his orders :(
    October 12, 2018, 01:52:41 AM
  • Webs: yessss. and that makes sense ^^
    October 12, 2018, 01:52:18 AM
  • Quiet: Makes sense! I'm going to have Anka MIA for a longish time in the thread. To make people sad and to save me writing three characters in one thread lol.
    October 12, 2018, 01:39:16 AM
  • Webs: I'm going to give it a few days in case any Garrison squad posts in the Utopia thread, then I'll put Gustav's reaction in there ^^
    October 11, 2018, 02:23:13 PM
  • Webs: Oh definitely. it's great!
    October 11, 2018, 02:22:37 PM
  • Quiet: It's hard to write. He has to be the Commander but he's also a human. It's a hard line to walk.
    October 11, 2018, 01:51:28 PM
  • Webs: Pixis <3 oh god, i love him
    October 11, 2018, 01:48:27 PM
  • Mitabi Jarnach: gdi
    October 11, 2018, 05:21:59 AM
  • Mitabi Jarnach: I mean Pixis
    October 11, 2018, 05:21:51 AM
  • Mitabi Jarnach: ...Mitabi
    October 11, 2018, 05:21:45 AM

* Directories

RPG-DRPG Initiative

Author Topic: Housing?  (Read 234 times)

Housing?
« on: July 19, 2018, 03:22:37 AM »
So let us talk about living situation and decor! My husband and I are really in the process of decorating our house (after almost 4 years of being in it  XD) so I want to know about how your characters would decorate their living spaces.

I think a lot would depend on where they live. Pixis lives in an actual house (which I headcanon as being owned by the military for the use of the Garrison Commander) so his ability to decorate would probably be different than Anka or Arkin who live in the Officers section of the Garrison barracks. Or Miri who is married and lives in what I imagine is some sort of unofficial military housing. (When my parents were in the military, we lived off base in a complex that was not official housing but was still like, 85% military families.)

So where do they live and how have they decorated?

I'll add Anka, Arkin, Pixis, and Miri tomorrow. I'm curious to see what ya'll come up with!

(Feel free to expand/improve these questions.  :) :)) « Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:44:38 AM by Quiet »

Anka Rheinberger | Dot Pixis | Arkin Holt | Miriam Gracey | Mina Carolina

Re: Housing?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 11:27:47 AM »
Ahh, I love this!  My hubby and I are currently moving house (well, we’ve sold our current place, we just need to actually find/secure somewhere to move to…) but it’s rekindled my interest in colour schemes, decor, etc.  I’m hitting Pinterest pretty hard these days. XD  I hope your redecorating is going well, Quiet!  It’s always nice to put your mark on a place. <3

I think it makes absolute sense that the military owns the house for use by the Garrison Commander.  What do you imagine it’s like, Quiet?  I’d love to hear how Pixis would have it decorated!

As for others, from what we see in the show/manga, newly qualified soldiers room-share or are in larger dorms together (as an example of the former, I’m thinking of Annie and Hitch being roommates).  I imagine it would depend on the faction and where they are placed, how many soldiers are stationed in that region, etc. 

But those who have served longer would surely, eventually secure a room of their own or even a house.  I wonder, would getting married, or having children, boost the likelihood of a soldier being assigned their own home?  And would their military performance have an impact?  Like a payrise or promotion, getting larger or more private quarters - or a house - would be a tantalising reward.

I find it really interesting that there are unofficial military housing regions, I had never really thought about it before, and I feel it would make sense in the AoT universe.  It would be a way to be committed to the military, but perhaps also have one foot in the stirrup of more ‘civilian-like’ living… I could be wrong about that though!

Ooft, this is basically a wall of waffle.  I’m going to mull over the details of my own characters’ living situations and then mosey back.  Farran for sure would live in one of those unofficial military housing areas, with his wife and little one.  Marco, Dalton, Struna are still cadets and don’t really feature in this discussion (poor Dalton will never get to count, RIP).  Laria would have quarters within the Training Corps barracks, and move with the cadets every year.  Eld, I’m not sure about, to be honest.  Obviously he would travel with the Special Operations Squad to wherever their next task takes them, but he must have some roots somewhere.  Ian I can see living in the barracks, and being happy with that, but his mother is probably nagging at him to work towards a house.

Dalton Lightbody | Eld Jinn | Farran Falkenrath | Ian Dietrich
Jarek Valdeze | Laria Rockfield | Marco Bott | Struna Mayberry

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 12:37:19 AM »
Moving houses is the worst. I just feel lucky that my dad has a pickup truck and could help. And we only moved like...two streets down the hill lol when we moved.  I have gotten into a love/hate relationship with Pinterest. So many cool ideas - so little skill to carry them out lol!

I'll do Pixis in one post and drop the others to a different one for organization sake.

For the Commander's house, I am sort of taking from the President of the college where my husband works. It's a large house but much of it is more for school use than family use. There is basically an apartment for the Pres, her S/O, and their kids - but most of the house is for meetings and other college functions.  There is even a ballroom.

So I imagine Dot's house is a bit like that. There are rooms that house his wife and such, but there are also meeting rooms, his other office, formal dining room, etc.   

The picture gives a good idea of how I think the military part of the house would look. The rooms military use would be very "masculine." Lots of dark wood and such. Dot has spent many long and lonely nights with a bottle of booze, ignoring his chess game (that he maybe plays by mail with someone), and just staring into the fire. His home office liquor cabinet is large and well made - but very plain. Also lots of bookshelves along with maps all over the extra tables.

Well that was a bit depressing.

I think Mrs. Pixis would have done the decorating in the family rooms. I image lots of light colors and probably drawings from their grandkids tacked on one of the walls. The bedroom would have a bed with a bright quilt on it. On each of their dressing tables, there is a sketch of their first spouse.

Mrs. Pixis is very homey so she has made most of the bedding and curtains in the house. She has kept the children's rooms fit for occupation since their grandkids stay over a fair amount. It's a happy home for sure. Dot prefers it to the military part of the house, though there are many days where he just goes from office and meetings to bed and then back again.

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 01:50:27 AM »
Regarding the unofficial military housing - my mom says lots of the American troops went to that area because it avoided the roundabouts - which Americans don't seem to understand lol.

I know I have written about the officer's section of the barracks. I imagine it mostly for single officers though maybe if two officers were married - they could stay there as well.  I'm not really sure they would just be rooms (like single dorm rooms) or more like efficiency apartments (room for a couch and maybe a small dining area, etc). Opinions? :-)

I do think everyone would have basically the same furniture, though if they wanted to buy or build another bookcase or something - that would be allowed.

Arkin's quarters would be very cluttered. He would have crammed every available space with his tools and remedies. There would be some herbs hanging from the ceiling. The bookshelves would honestly have more jars and boxes than books. His bedding would be very nice since his family can afford to gift him quality linens and he has a quilt that his grandmother would have made.  His desk (what does not have treatments on it) would be fairly organized. He would have sketches of his family on his nightstand and ones of Luke and Nanaba as well. He'll get ones of his other friends eventually.

Anka's quarters would be neat - but she would have a few extra bookcases and that would make it look smaller than it really is.  It would be very plain.  Anka has never really had anything decorative (other than flowers) so she would not really know what to do with a painting if she had one.  She does try to have flowers when it is the season for them.  She has a few vases that she bought just out of training and she has them spread around her quarters.  Her desk is neat and Anka is organized in general.  Her bedding is still mostly Garrison issue. She did buy a thin quilt more than a few years ago and that is the one she still uses. It's fine. She also has an old travel chest at the foot of her bed that has a few extra linens, her winter coat, and one very old and very patched skirt in it.

Miriam, Owen, and Tabitha live in a small rowhouse and their neighbors are all Garrison families.  It consists of two bedrooms, a kitchen/dining area, a living area, and a bathroom. Owen would have done most of the decorating so it's just very....meh. Basically, everything is blue or beige. Tabby has the room with the most personality. Her room is very fun. She has about as many dolls as Owen and Miri can afford and a friend made a special shelf to display them. Owen uses the dinner table as a desk so there are normally papers to be graded resting in one corner.  It's a boring house but it's easy to tell there is a lot of love in it.

Tags:

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Arkin Holt: Arkin for Nanaba! [link]
    Today at 02:01:44 AM
  • Arkin Holt: Arkins kind of a jerk lol! Arkin for Gustav! [link]
    Today at 12:35:47 AM
  • Arkin Holt: Arkin for Marco! [link]
    October 15, 2018, 10:43:52 PM
  • Arkin Holt: Very late Arkin for Luke! [link]
    October 15, 2018, 09:26:58 PM
  • Mara Sonnenschein: Reply for Hilda! [link]
    October 12, 2018, 12:29:23 AM
  • Dot Pixis: Sad Dot for Gustav. This was hard to write!! [link]
    October 11, 2018, 02:04:05 AM
  • Gustav Volk: Reply for the little Garrison + Nanaba at last! [link]
    October 10, 2018, 06:14:57 PM
  • Gustav Volk: [link] emotions for Pixis
    October 09, 2018, 06:03:47 PM
  • Quiet: Anka is down. I think this ties the two Garrison Utopia threads together. I'm excited to see everyones reactions! [link]
    October 08, 2018, 03:13:08 AM
  • Gustav Volk: Reply for Anka and Pixis! [link]
    October 08, 2018, 12:53:18 AM

* Credits

Site banner, advert image and affiliate button created by Moon Child

Reluctant Heroes is in no way affiliated with Shingeki no Kyojin, Attack on Titan or Funimation and we give full credit to Hajime Isayama. Copyrights and trademarks for the manga and anime are held by their respective owners while all original content remains the property of the individual writers and artists.